[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar opinions? — My Lion King Forum

The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar opinions?

24%
6%
38%
26%
No votes
3%
3%

Total votes : 34

The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar opinions?

Postby ScarsLove » November 23rd, 2015, 3:59 am

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Re: The Lion Guard: Return of the Roar opinions?

Postby gothprincesskiara » November 24th, 2015, 1:06 am

ok here is my review walk through

Starting out with when Simba gets knocked by the baobab fruit, its kinda funny :ha: I am starting to warm up to Bunga cause as a honey badger, honey badgers dont care and he shows that alot he is so funny sometimes, he makes stupid rash moves before thinking about it, because honey badgers don't care, they are tough. But I dont like how he says unbungaleivable, its like an negative anti-Bunga.
Its SO cool to see a different side to Pride Rock, I have always wanted to see more of Pride Rock, I hope we get to see more Pride Rock in the series :D. and once Rafiki cleared out the Lion Guard den, I was like so that's how you clean out a Den, with a gust of wind. The Lion Guard den was so beautiful, and it even comes with water.
Im so curious as to know who those past Lion guard members were besides scar, my guess they either got killed or they ran away.
I would also say the voices are as close as they could get them and with Kiara talk about going through a major voice change.
I think I was right that the Hyenas lair was were scar sang be prepared if you noticed in the painting.
Background scenery is SPOT ON, AND BEAUTIFUL. wish I could say the same for the animation structure. :roll:
Ok yes Zuri sound too much of a drama queen and literally but as an animal lover I cant help but love her anyway, and im sure breaking a claw hurts just as much as breaking a nail, I would complain too, she is cute both Zuri and Tiffu are so dang cute and UNIQUE,
I cant get Zuka Zama out of my head, I'm still getting used to that song.
and :lol: It cracks me up how Kiara says Bunga was Brave and stupid and Bunga respons with thanks Kiara :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I find that hilarious!
Notice how there is a difference now between Outsiders and Outlanders?
I also like tonight we strike they did a good creepy job on it.
I like Ono sharp vision its cool how he can see so well.
I also like Beshte, he has a cool attitude, he is chill, strong with cool attitude.
Despite that Fulis rossets bother me her voices fits her for a cheetah.
Ok why did Kions trying to do a roar have to be a squeek it should have been more of a little kitten meow.
I have no problem with Kiara as I have said before, everyone goes through changes i there life time and Kiara had some changes in her life time, she changed drastically thoughout her life.
I dont like how there is the saying till the pridelands end, I never want them to end.
And its great on how Bunga saced Kiara cause Honey Badgers do have a smell that they release when warding of invaders or whatever. so yes they do have powerful fart
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby Leviara_Lioness » November 24th, 2015, 3:35 am

Ok, here's mine~
Overall i loved it all 110%, considering I missed the first one due to stubborn illnesses that really pulled me under yesterday all day... yes Kiara has changed drastically as Goth said, but we all change, inevitably! I know this's odd, but I'm very favoring Kiara, and Fuli, overall, out of everyone, yes Kion too!But that doesnt mean I like the others less, i'm just much more inclined to the others I favor; So i give it (*****) five stars.. I'm just happy i got to see it! yeah love how Rafiki cleaned out the Lion Guard Den have to agree with Goth!

Well thats my review! :zira-approve:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Leviara_Lioness
Israeli Princess Lioness

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Israeli Princess Cleopah Lioness

Nickname(s): Sarbi, Cleopah, Jasmine, Cleo, Levi or Levira
Pride Points: 59

Postby gothprincesskiara » November 24th, 2015, 5:53 pm

Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Postby PrincessKiara » November 24th, 2015, 11:26 pm

I sort of regret watching all of the available clips before watching the full movie - there was so much that I had seen already, and only a few surprises left. :P

The opening was great for the first couple of seconds before suddenly reminding the viewer that this is THE LION GUARD, a new movie and series for a new and younger generation! I would have preferred if we could have had a minute or two with just Kiara and Simba before Kion and Bunga`s sudden introduction.

I thought Bunga was OK at first, but after a while he became annoying to me, I also wish the reason for him calling Timon and Pumbaa uncles could have been explained. (I thought the moment where Simba asks if Kion asked Bunga to join The Lion Guard was true, he looks at Bunga and the badger waves.. that was quite amusing).

Kion is a cute and sympathetic character, I like him.

I thought Simba was in-character, Nala too for the tiny bit she was included in, as well as Rafiki. Zazu not being there was a bit strange, but we did get two new bird characters, and there was no real room for Zazu, not much for him to do in this.

I really like that Timon and Pumbaa didn`t hijack this picture like they did with Simba`s Pride.

Kiara`s change really dragged this experience down as a whole, for me personally. I feel like the writers of this hadn`t even watched her in Simba`s Pride and took nothing of her original character into consideration. It really bothered me. I wished for more pleasant interaction between her and Kion, for Kiara to be the happy and positive cub we all know her as.. (Am I the only one that thought Simba calling her "princess" was really weird?) I know Kiara is older and more mature in this, I know everyone changes, but as long as Kiara is supposed to be a cub here, I feel the writers should not change her completely.. It just really didn`t sit well with me as a big Kiara fan. :( Her being fine with becoming queen really clashes with her as a cub in SP, we all know she had doubts about this and felt conflicted on being herself while also filling this title she never wanted or asked for. I know she appears to be fine with it as an adult in SP, though it`s never clearly addressed.

The animation was nice - the complaints I have are about the cheetah which looks drawn in a different style than everyone else for some reason, as well as the size relations. Simba looks way too small, and Kion is for some reason the same size as Pumbaa. Weird. Also the hyenas look VERY odd, and the mouth movements are stiff. But this is just nitpicking, really.
The character design for the new female cubs is GREAT, love the details, Kion`s design is quite nice also.

The voice work is solid, I really like Kion`s voice. Kiara should have been voiced by a younger actress though. Rob Lowe as Simba is going to take more getting used to.

I enjoyed the Swahili catchphrases (although the zuka zama song was a bit too much) and the fact this show/movie has educational qualities without screaming it in your face. It conveys knowledge and information in a subtle way, such as hyenas being carnivores, cheetahs not being able to roar, or how you can tell the direction of the wind by looking at which way the grass bends. This was done nicely, I appreciate that. I really liked seeing Kiara and her friend tracking the gazelles, that was quite interesting.

I did not appreciate Kiara needing to be rescued however - the stampede of gazelles was a nice homage to the wildebeest stampede in TLK, but it bugged me that Kiara had to be rescued by Kion and his friends. I understand Kion and the team needed a chance to prove themselves to Simba, but why not let the other female cub be the one in need of help, and show that Kiara is indeed capable of handling herself? Because she IS, we saw that in SP, she held her own against those crocodiles in the swamp, f.ex, and even saved Kovu`s life.

Moving on.. Learning about the history of The Lion Guard, and that is was connected to Mufasa and Scar was great! I liked the idea of Scar being the leader of the guard back in the day. Seeing more of Pride Rock was fun too, and I LOVED that we got to see Mufasa again.

Zuri (was that the name of the lioness cub that got her claws stuck in the log?) was irritating and a sterotypical girl to me. I might change my mind about her if we see her featured more. I really DO NOT want to see Kiara as some "queen bee" never going anywhere without being flanked by her two female friends - like a group of girls in an American high school movie. Oh please no.

I`m hoping to catch some episodes of the show later, but overall the movie felt rushed to me, it moved along quickly and felt a bit clunky at times. They could have made it a bit longer and taken their time more to set things up properly.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Squeely » December 7th, 2015, 7:00 pm

TLG was good but flawed. The animation, while well-done, was a bit wonky in places. I feel like we didn't get to know the characters all that well, except for Kion and Bunga. Songs were good for what they were; not up to par with TLK and SP's songs, but that's a bit of an unfair comparison to be fair. We'll see what the future brings - a lot of the flaws can be attributed to it being the pilot, so I'd give it time to hit its stride. I eagerly await the series and hope the quality stays on par, if not improves, from here on out.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Amadi_the_Guard » December 9th, 2015, 12:09 am

Well, I guess it's time to throw in my own two cents. :kionoops:

Firstly I'd like to mention that Kion might be Disney's direct response to the whole 'the cub at the end of first move' talk that's been going on for such a long time. I know they said it was Kiara, but that was before TLG even was in plans, and we can't deny the cub has a different presentation then Kiara and resembles Kion far more. That means that Kiara might have been a young cub by the end of the first movie, when her baby brother was being presented. Those are just speculations, but I believe they are valid enough.

I've seen many people argue that TLG goes against The Lion King lore, but I disagree. I think that the idea is very creative and fresh, and I like how they weren't afraid to expand the TLK universe in a brand new way that nobody really expected, especially regarding Scar, my favorite Disney villain, and his guard. Who made the rules about the lore to begin with? Disney did. And Disney is making this too, so the whole argument beats its own point. What's wrong with the lions in the sky? We already knew that they were there, and Mufasa's ghost appeared on several occasions in TLK2 too. Magic is nothing new to the universe, either - and while it might have not been present all that much in the first two movies, there was nobody to say that it wasn't there. We shouldn't act like we know everything about the universe we only saw featured in three canon movies, and hardly anything more.
I partially think all the fan art and community work TLK has gained over the years has been going in a certain direction and trying to make TLK universe a bit more realistic/darker/interesting, and that fans have gotten used to it, and are therefore indifferent to the bright and childish way TLG presents it, which is perfectly understandable, but we still need to keep in mind that this is the show for toddlers, just like the originals were for young kids too.
Speaking of which, despite this show's target audience being about 15 years younger then me, I must say I didn't find it all that boring. It's obvious everything is extremely simplified and that no dark themes will be included or at least worked on too much, but the movie managed to keep my interest until the end, and I will say that it's good for what it is. There's just enough to make old fans go teary-eyed, jokes aren't all that bad most of the time, and the plot and characters could prove to be interesting. As for the children, I think the show will be able to convey a few good messages, too.
:shiney:

Now, I also am very happy to see other animals asides from lions in the center of the plot. Think about it, TLK had Rafiki, the shaman, hyenas for villaisn and of course, Zazu, Timon and Pumba, and all those guys played important roles and that gave the movie a nice 'king of beasts' feel. Not too mention that there were even more animal characters that got scrapped in the early production.
But in TLK2, there isn't a single new animal character, and even the recycled ones play minor roles - they are there just because they have been there in the first movie, and the movie could have played just as well without them - except for Rafiki, I liked his role in the sequel.
With TLG, it's nice to see the old concept back, and I'm interested to see how the relationship between lions and their potential meals will play off.

Add while my opinion about the plot remains overally positive, I do have a few problems with this.
Firstly, while I don't think they are pretending TLK2 didn't happen, I wish they put more work into connecting the two parts of TLK universe. I'm putting this first because I feel it's my biggest plot-related complain. When does it take place, before or after Kiara meets Kovu? Where is Kion after Kiara grows up?
I also have to mention Kiara and her change in character here, because I feel it was not necessary at all. As I said somewhere, I understand that Kiara is meant to be a contrast to Kion, along with Simba, and that two of them will probably be stickler's for traditions while Kion's going to break the rules for the better, but once again, it wasn't necessary. Simba was enough for that role, and Kiara was just fine the way she was.
But, who knows? There's a whole show ahead of me and maybe I've been passing judgements too early. For all I know, all of my questions might get answered in the first episode, so I'm more then ready to take all of this back as soon as that happens. And even if they don't, it's not like they decided to ignore TLK2 completely. All things considered, with a little bit of fan theories, it's possible for all three movies to coexist in the same universe and that's good.

Secondly, I also find it a bit odd that Disney is stereotyping the animals 'hyenas are evil', 'lions are fierce'... Sure, that happened in the originals too, but that was 20 years ago. Especially since they usually put more work nowadays into teaching kids good values in their toddler shows.

Again, I hope both of those problems get resolved in the upcoming series.

As for the animation - it could have been better, but it's far from bad. I like the vibrant colors, they really help the atmosphere and set the mood. Perfect example of this is 'Tonight we strike!' song, that left me impressed. It's obviously meant too make hyenas look bad, but not really evil like Scar - more on the mischievous side.
I also applaud the animation team for the backgrounds and settings - they really brought Pridelands back to life.

I don't mind the fact that the animation looks different from the original - it makes it obvious this is a brand new thing. I don't think a lot of people understand how hard it is to copy someone else's drawing style, especially when working on such a large project. Sure, you can replicate the style in one picture, two pictures, 50 pictures... but try animating a whole movie + series. I'm confident the animators are trying their best with a small budget they have and equipment at hand, which is also worth noting, since there's only so much money that can go into a toddler's TV show, it's troublesome that there are people expecting the quality of the original movie. Ironically, TLK2 faced the same problems.

It's apparent they are studying real animals and their behavior for this project. TLK2, on the other hand, used only the original movie as a reference. I like how most of the characters move as long as they are not running or making quick movements, like flinching, expressions... and things like that. On the other hand, shots that don't involve too much moving, like Kion's roar, end up looking majestic. But all in all, as I'm going to explain later, the character animation is either hit or miss.

Now, here's the negative. In some shots, I feel like they are trying way too hard, and in the end they overdo it a bit. Most notably, as I said, running, jumping and quick movements don't feel natural at all. Walking is sometimes iffy too, but it does in a way resemble real lions walk, as we were shown in the inspiration videos, so I'll be quiet.

But, that doesn't change the fact that characters often make silly and pointless movements that, while they might have come from their RL counterparts, ruin the atmosphere. For example, when Kion interrupts Simba and Kiara's lessons, he tries to apologize, but it looks fidgety and his head bends at a weird angle. Now, it's obvious that they were looking at a real lion cub for reference and only had problems animating it and making it look good, but sometimes less is more, and they could have simply used Simba's guilty behavior from the first movie as a reference, only adding in their own tweaks here and there. All in all, it feels a little like they have been trying too hard.
Or during the Zuka Zama song - what's with all the silly dancing?

But then again, I'm positive I'm going to get used to it and learn to enjoy it.

Then there come characters. Asides from the fact that they messed original ones quite a bit, I actually like the new ones.
Kion is alright I guess, but I'm not his biggest fan. His design is original enough but doesn't feel too realistic. It's like they took Simba as the base and started adding random traits, like brown nose, red tuft... Speaking of which, that tuft really bothers me. Had they made it a few shades darker, or just brown, I feel he'd look nicer. But on the other hand, I really dig the shots that make him look like little Mufasa. As for his character, it's fine, but a bit too dramatic at times - then again, this is a show for toddlers. And I believe he's gonna teach the new generations an important message, that traditions are only good as longs as they are helpful, and that they shouldn't be afraid to try out new things and do things their own way, even if they aren't always supported in this.
Then there's Bunga, whom I love. I know he annoys a lot of people, but I personally can't wait to see more of him. I like his and Kion's bromance, too. The rest of the guard isn't bad, either. I like how movie didn't reveal too much about any them, so we've got a lot to look forward to in the series. I've seen people say how, since this is a show for toddlers, there won't be any character development, but I disagree. During the short movie, Kion learned an important lesson, and I believe there will be more lessons to come in the TV show - sorta like Sofia the First.
Then there's Cheezi and I wanna snuggle him. Speaking of which, TLG hyenas are awesome and look much more realistic then the original ones, from where I stand.
:D

Music was catchy enough for me, and I loved all the songs. I loved how the Swahili got used! Just brilliant.

All in all, I personally believe it's worth a chance. I wish I could write more about it,as there is so much more to cover, but I'm way too tired. Oh, and all this is just my opinion, nothing more.
Amadi_the_Guard

Pride Points: 8

Postby Timon the great » December 9th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Well, it was pretty much what I expected to be (and those were not much to begin with) since this series was first announced last year. And I definitely have to say that it doesn't come even close to the beauty and formula that the film trilogy holds. This definitely also includes LK 1 1/2 despite all the criticism it's received from the fandom as I see there's no way this new series can be compared to this film either (and no, it's not just because of Timon. I'm basing this on this film's overall quality).

In fact, I watched most of 1 1/2 on the Monday night after the premiere and to relieve myself of the effects of watching LG, and I actually enjoyed watching 1 1/2, three or four times more this view around, and more than I had been before. Almost like if I had just seen it for the first time again.

I'll admit that there were a few moments in the premiere that were nice and funny (one of them pretty mature for older people from Kiara), and the Lea Halelea intro theme was a nice film follow-up / feel for what it was here, because it still wasn't much. The music of the song Bunga sings was also a little interesting.

I definitely wish Timon would've had just a little more screen time like at the very end of the premiere, like with Rafiki, instead of just being in only one scene. But then again, Zazu (who I almost thought wasn't going to make any mentionable-worthy appearance) was only in one little scene also. I could hope that at least one the regular episodes will hold something really nice about my fave. But on this film, he was just okay and more like he is on SP. Nothing really attention getting at all as a Timon person, here.

Overall, I give the Lion Guard premiere a 5.5/10 (and even this may be too generous of a rating), including the fact that it's a TV series and regardless of any limitations / excuses people say it has, as I really do think and personally feel that the premiere could've been done better (especially since Disney was really set on it), and it didn't really do any justice or give us anything truly special for us veteran fans to look on.

If you really like Kion and the new set of franchise characters, then you'll probably really enjoy everything this new series will offer. But as a veteran fan and to short summarize, while the creators did try nicely to make LG something like the first LK film, at the very same time, they input a very different idea altogether than from the rest of the franchise. So in essence, LG really fairs better on its own than when connecting it to the universal idea of the entire film franchise. And it shows well in the premiere that Disney is looking to create a new fan base and not have much regard for the film trilogy or its fandom.

That said, and because the premiere isn't necessarily horrible in itself, I may consider watching one or two episodes of this series when the regular episodes air next year. But all in all, the premiere does tell a lot about how the entire Lion Guard series is gonna go and it highly suggests that this new attitude of the Disney company isn't going to change much for the better anytime soon. And I personally feel that a lot of the veteran fans here and on the rest of the internet that are "praising" this new series may only be doing so because there hasn't been anything real that's happened to the franchise since the release of 1 1/2. Then again, this is where learning to be content with what already exists (the films) really comes in hand.

I am 99.99% confident now that whatever new media Disney brings to the Lion King franchise will never top or come close to doing so to the films. And if they think about or are planning on doing a live-action version of the original film, I will lose what faith I already have left in the Disney company for doing anything else good for the franchise, For good. Very honestly, some things like the LK films are meant to be left alone altogether and forever stand the way they are when they were made in official business.

* The final verdict from me is this for those who just want to know my view very short and sweet:

- Lion Guard is good as a stand-alone in the franchise. Bad to be something or a tribute to all three Lion King films.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby OuRaion » January 26th, 2016, 1:33 pm

I've just watched it, and I did like it quite a bit (though I can admit I am a little biased, what with it being more of what I love). I enjoyed the new characters, the songs, just it overall. It did have it's flaws however, what with the animation being a bit sketchy in parts and Kiara having a completely different personality. Overall, my complaints aren't big ones, and the first season might be good, or it might be awful. All I know for sure is that I'm curious to see what is coming.

Also hi, I'm not dead. Anyone miss me? No? Back into hiding I go then.
OuRaion

Pride Points: 60

Return to The Lion Guard