[SPOILER ALERT] lion guard return of the roar!!!

[SPOILER ALERT] lion guard return of the roar!!!

Postby _TravelerBlu_ » November 22nd, 2015, 11:11 pm

[EXTREAM SPOILER ALERT WARNING DO NOT ENTER UNLESS YOU HAVE WATHED THE MOVIE]

Post in this thread after you have seen TLG :P
The dark side, it calls to him, it pulls at him. The boy must be Eliminated before he is consumed by it! :sad:
I will not let that happen! :x

Countin' down the days until Star Wars Rebels 1 hour season finale!!!!! :D :oops:
_TravelerBlu_
At least,

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He wasn't attacked by a flock of leopards

Nickname(s): Blu, Spectre 7, Saskia, Lukio
Pride Points: 32

Re: [SPOILER ALERT] lion guard return of the roar!!!

Postby SimbaPrescott » November 23rd, 2015, 1:20 am

Darnit! Please tell me that the Scar scenes were all paintings? My internet connection died out JUST as Simba was about to explain, and returned RIGHT when Kion mentioned his name.
Image is an Epic Mickey concept art. We could have had this in EM3. I still want it.
SimbaPrescott
I laugh in the face of danger.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He told me no one could defeat me...

Nickname(s): Kari, Simba, Prescott
Pride Points: 27

Postby Regulus » November 23rd, 2015, 1:42 am

[quote="SimbaPrescott"]Darnit! Please tell me that the Scar scenes were all paintings? My internet connection died out JUST as Simba was about to explain, and returned RIGHT when Kion mentioned his name.[/quote]

Hah, well that's a little funny. The exact same thing happened to me. Not kidding.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Elton John » November 23rd, 2015, 2:06 am

I just finished watching it! My thoughts

-it was mostly an enjoyable experience with a few cringe worthy moments (i know it's pumbaas thing to fart but did we really need to see honey badger fart gas visually as wel?)
-most disliked character is zuri. Kion himself is probably my fav which is good since he's the main character
-zazus voice. Better than his sp actor but not as good as the original.
-worst song was zuka zama, best was kions lament, the villain song had neat visuals but was ultimately dull.
-speaking of neat visuals, backgrounds were gorgeous. Really set the mood well.
-the musical score was WAY better than the musical numbers.
-writing was spotty at times but it managed to make me laugh a few times.
-Nala was a background character with a few lines. To be fair they had a lot to introduce in just 42 minutes. I expect in the show she will have more of a role.
-TIIFU WAS ADORABLE
-I coud definitely feel master sass levels with fuli.

I'd give it a b-

It wasn't a masterpiece but I liked it enough to want to watch more.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Carl » November 23rd, 2015, 2:09 am

The stream I watched froze up a few times, but yes, all of the Scar scenes were paintings. I don't think I really missed anything.

To be honest, this was what I expected it to be. It wasn't great, it wasn't bad. I will probably be watching the TV series as well. I do wish they'd had more time to develop everything a bit better, but all in all it wasn't surprising, and wasn't a disappointment. The songs weren't half bad either.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Marizzle » November 23rd, 2015, 2:11 am

[quote="SimbaPrescott"]Darnit! Please tell me that the Scar scenes were all paintings? My internet connection died out JUST as Simba was about to explain, and returned RIGHT when Kion mentioned his name.[/quote]
Yes, they were. :)

Okay, so, it just ended. It was as great as I expected it to be! Here's what I thought:

- The story line was quite simple (Obvious, taking in account this is for a younger audience), but effective and it actually transmits a message to the audience.
- The characters...I absolutely adored all the members of The Lion Guard! You could make out most of their personalities simply through this movie, and, honestly, none of them disappointed me. The detail that I loved the most about these was how Nala seemed to be like "TLK Nala". Although she didn't have a lot of screen-time in both SP and TLG: RotR, I found "SP Nala" to be more calm and laid back. The one in Return Of The Roar seemed like the "old her", you know, more "feisty" and confident. Kiara, however, seemed a bit annoying to me and actually a "daddy's girl" now.
- In terms of animation and voice acting, these were great, IMO. Also, the jokes added to the script were actually quite good for a movie like this, too.
- The backgrounds/views were amazing. They really reminded me of TLK.
- The soundtrack is probably one of my favourite things in the whole movie. It's not as good as the TLK one, of course, but, when I remember that this was not a movie of such scale, its quality surprises me. Personally, I found "Zuka Zama Zom Zom Zom" and the credits song (Aka, the Theme song) the most addictive. "Kion's Lament" is good as well, but not as catchy. The villain song was my least favourite. The musical score/background OST was amazing, too.
- The only thing that disappointed me was the "magical appearance" of The Lion Guard's mark on each member's shoulder. I really would have preferred if they were painted by Rafiki.

Overall: Yes, it is possible to point out a few "Junior" influences, mostly in the story line, but, honestly, I enjoyed the movie. It brings out the old TLK "feeling". I cannot wait to re-watch it nor for the TV Series. :D
Last edited by Marizzle on November 23rd, 2015, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marizzle
Hope is the only thing

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Stronger than fear

Pride Points: 81

Postby _TravelerBlu_ » November 23rd, 2015, 2:32 am

Pretty good. Funny at some parts, I like all the songs. Zuri is a brat.
The dark side, it calls to him, it pulls at him. The boy must be Eliminated before he is consumed by it! :sad:
I will not let that happen! :x

Countin' down the days until Star Wars Rebels 1 hour season finale!!!!! :D :oops:
_TravelerBlu_
At least,

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

He wasn't attacked by a flock of leopards

Nickname(s): Blu, Spectre 7, Saskia, Lukio
Pride Points: 32

Postby escobea1 » November 23rd, 2015, 2:51 am

I thought this was entertaining. Kion was earnest and his friends were fun to watch. Each one had their own personality, and personally I really liked Bunga. I appreciate how confident everybody became overtime until their grand group shot. It was as advertised: Avengers meets the Lion King. :)
Each song felt like it belonged in the Lion King. The chorus, drum sounds and visuals were very much like those of the first film. I liked "Tonight we strike". It seemed similar to the Nightmare before Christmas ride at Disneyland with all the neon colors, so it came off as a goofy but sinister nightmare. Overall, I enjoyed seeing the characters together and look forward to the series.
escobea1

Pride Points: 8

Postby TTB-Kun » November 23rd, 2015, 2:58 am

I think the worst part is Kion's lament song, it's the only song that don't sound "lion king" at all, is so anonymous.
aside from that the most important part of the movie is clear.

Did you realize that Simba gave Kion the sex talk? Can you feel the love tonight? OMFG i died when i heard it!
Now we an say that Simba and Nala having REAL fun after can you feel the love tonight is CANON!
TTB-Kun

Pride Points: 11

Postby TheLionPrince » November 23rd, 2015, 3:06 am

I caught more multiple references to the original film. Return of the Roar opened the iconic shot of the sun (with the instrumental music of "Mufasa Dies" from the Legacy Collection soundtrack) and the background shot of Pride Rock seen in the first one is the same one used in the new movie. There was a bowling ball sound of Beshte rolling over the hyenas, which is identical to Pumbaa charging into the hyenas with an accompanied bowling ball sound effect.

The music was pretty decent. "Zuka Zama" and the theme song was pretty catchy, though Kion's song was the best song of the movie. Janga and the hyenas' song "Tonight We Strike" is the most weakest of the songs due to unmemorable lyrics, though it had brilliant visuals. The background score continued the tradition of intertwining the African vocals with the instrumental music, which was well-done. I still wish Lebo M was involved with the music, though.

The storyline was relatively simple. I am disappointed that the background story of Scar's Lion Guard was told in animated paintings instead of seeing new character animation of Scar. Again with Scar's Lion Guard, if Mzingo and Janga had heard about the rumor of Scar's misuse for his Lion Guard powers, surely Mufasa would have heard it too. Why did Mufasa still keep Scar within the pride since Scar can easily be a threat to him? And there is still no explanation as to when Kion was born though we know he's younger than Kiara, but by how much? Are Kion and Kiara littermates or what?

Kion and the new characters are a delight to watch, and have the warm, kid-like personality that reminds me of cub Simba and Nala. Kiara first comes off as snobby if you ask me. Zuri's line about breaking her claws reminded of Georgette's line, "I broke a nail", from Oliver & Company. Simba is still the worried, paranoid parent from Simba's Pride. It was great to see Nala again, though her characterization still resembles the mature, reserved personality retained from Simba's Pride. Timon and Pumbaa aren't given much to do except remind us that Pumbaa still experiences flatulence (which Bunga has picked up) and be the voice of discouragement. Zazu was only featured at the end, and only had one line. Mufasa's ghost is another highlight, though James Earl Jones's voice sounds slightly different but I can't blame him and still appreciate he took the time to give us fans another treat of his signature baritone voice.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Next

Return to The Lion Guard