Episode 14: Bunga and the King.

Re: Episode 14: Bunga and the King.

Postby Amadi_the_Guard » May 2nd, 2016, 1:29 am

When giving that example, I was only trying to express my view on why Disney isn't treating TLG as something worth investing too much money in, not start a discussion on the taste in cartoons. xD

But since you've mentioned it, by adult cartoons, one can also mean cartoons that feature enough adult content to make it interesting for an average adult to watch. Not every person, of course, but I'm sure more people will enjoy something like Steven Universe (an example we are both familiar with, and yeah, it's a show that both kids and adults can watch, and it obviously has some heavier themes) then something directed strictly towards toddlers. And I'm not saying that shows meant for really small children can't become huge hits among adults, either - it's just that, more often then not, they don't, and i don't see Disney throwing loads of cash into something so risky. Having that said, I'm pretty sure at least 50% of us wouldn't even watch TLG if it wasn't directly related to TLK.
But I can see what you mean by adult cartoons and, while I disagree that all the jokes are quite that poor and crude, I respect your opinion.

Daktari, I admit you do have a point.
They did know we would be watching this... xD But they also probably knew we would watch it anyway, so... thanks Disney. :P
But I think it will improve over time - I could bet that, by the second season, it will look much better. But I doubt it will ever live up to the originals, when it comes to animation.
Nala's mouth tho

Aelwen: Well, it was never really confirmed so...
Amadi_the_Guard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby Squeely » May 2nd, 2016, 1:37 am

[quote="Amadi_the_Guard"] But I can see what you mean by adult cartoons and, while I disagree that all the jokes are quite that poor and crude, I respect your opinion.[/quote]
In fairness to the adult shows most people are familiar with (South Park, Family Guy, etc) I was pulling from a knowledge base that includes things like Mr. Pickles and Adult Party Cartoon. They're a lot more poor and crude than the popular ones.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Kallo » May 2nd, 2016, 4:51 am

I've enjoyed these past couple of episodes. Not my favourites, but still liked them. However, they've brought to my attention four things that are keeping me from fully enjoying the show as much as I'd like.

1) I'll keep this short cause I've said it many times before, but I feel like they overuse things. We don't need to have a song every episode, hear the main cast's "cute catchphrases" ten times per episode, or even have Mufasa appear as often as he does.
2) The animation, especially in the action scenes. They really need to work on it. I feel like in the recent episodes especially, some of the character movements and action have looked downright awful. This is probably the biggest issue right now.
3) The timing of shots. This might seem minor, but it goes a long way. Scenes and shots just feel off and rushed very often. This causes a lot of the dialogue and jokes to not really work as well as they could. They lack impact. It makes some of the scenes kinda throw you off and not be able to properly focus on what's happening. Take Mufasa's appearance in "The Mbali Fields Migration", for example. His appearance should be this big epic moment when Kion is at his most desperate and needs his help. But instead, the scene just kinda jumps from a random shot to Kion walking away and Mufasa just sorta popping there outta nowhere. It really catches you off guard and just feels too sudden. Timing goes a long way to make a show great.
4) And finally, Simba's voice acting isn't the best. I don't have a major problem with it, but in "Bunga and the King" it was kinda distracting. I don't care that it's different from the movies, but it's just not very good in general. At best it sounds okay, and at worst quite awful. And it's pretty much half and half between those two.

Of course, then there's smaller things such as wishing to see more lionesses around Pride Rock and stuff, but those aren't really things that keep me from enjoying the show. Just what I'd like to see. If they'd fix or at least improve on those four things I mentioned above, the show would jump from good to great in my opinion.
Kallo

Pride Points: 21

Postby Squeely » May 2nd, 2016, 5:30 am

[quote="Kallo"]
Of course, then there's smaller things such as wishing to see more lionesses around Pride Rock and stuff, but those aren't really things that keep me from enjoying the show. Just what I'd like to see. If they'd fix or at least improve on those four things I mentioned above, the show would jump from good to great in my opinion.[/quote]
Come to think of it, there really is no excuse for the lack of lionesses. I know it would mean putting more characters into the background and thus a bit more work for the crew, but it would be as simple as recoloring Nala. It's not like the lionesses looked all that distinct to begin with.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby zerodix » May 2nd, 2016, 12:51 pm

this was the 13th ep, btw :) there was a namechange with that fuli episode that brought a lot of confusion along.
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Rachel-Lioness » May 2nd, 2016, 4:43 pm

This is my absolute favorite episode of The Lion Guard so far! :D It's a very cute episode.
Signature made by Simbasmate. ;)
Rachel-Lioness
The Storm chasing queen

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hevi Kabisa!

Pride Points: 7

Postby Carl » May 4th, 2016, 5:49 am

I've just finally watched this one and I will say I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as some of the other ones, but I loved that Simba and Bunga refer to themselves as brothers and really liked that Timon and Pumbaa referred to them as their "babies." When I first learned that Bunga was adopted by T&P before the show had ever started airing, I had wondered if they'd address this, and I'm glad they did.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby PridelandsPhantom » May 7th, 2016, 3:49 pm

I just watched this episode and found it very enjoyable! I was very excited to see the way Simba clung to the rocks like Mufasa in TLK. Bunga was being disrespectful to Simba and it bothered me. Why is Bunga calling him "Simba" and not "your majesty" or "your highness." Simba is the king of the pridelands and even if he is close friends with Kion that doesn't mean he can be rude and insensitive. I liked how Nala and Kiara were reluctant to leave Simba in the sinkhole because Nala said "I care more about you!" :D I liked hearing Simba use Nala's name and see the bond between the whole family. I think that Timon and Pumbaa went a little bit over the top with their crying, but it's good to see that they do care about Simba and Bunga (Timon please don't kiss Simba it's weird now that he's grown! :lol: ). When I heard Hakuna Matata was going to be in this episode I was happy because I love that song. Simba really didn't have to say "Zuka Zuma", though. I get Simba and Bunga can get along because they have some common ground, but I don't think they'd be that um gushy :P Bunga is less annoying, but he still was really annoying in this episode because he says a lot of things and does a lot of things that are rude. I was actually proud of Simba for roaring at him and reminding Bunga that he is king of the pridelands! 8-) I don't hate Bunga, and I think he has his moments, but honestly he really annoys me A LOT :lol: Of course, being the big Fuli fan I am I was happy to see her rescue Kiara. I still wish they had stuck with Kiara's original pelt coloring, but it was good to hear Kiara's concern over Simba and calling him "Daddy." Someone else brought this up, but if the stampede in the gorge hadn't happened would Mufasa have survived the fall? I don't mind Kion having the roar at all when it's really needed. I don't know but it would have been kind of nice for Simba to see Mufasa this episode to tie things together. I wish Sarabi or Sarafina could be mentioned even in passing.

It's good to see the guard wasn't the one to save the day but Simba's instincts. I was laughing when they had Timon crying and Kion realizing what a mistake it was to rely on him as a "tunnel expert" :kiongrin2: I also like seeing how Simba is connected to the Pridelands as king able to feel shifts in the earth and to take care of his subjects. It's good to know Mufasa's lessons about the circle of life are being impressed on Simba. I did like to see Simba's lighter side though when he was singing and remembering his carefree days with Timon and Pumbaa. I almost thought he was going to eat some bugs with Bunga :coolgrin: I also like how Simba didn't want Bunga holding onto his mane :D It's good to see some of the traditions of the Pridelands and to know what the royal family does together.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

Postby zerodix » May 8th, 2016, 9:54 pm

to be honest i find bunga a downright bad example for kids. i would never allow my child to have this behaviour towards an adult..
missing the old deviantart...
zerodix
The Lion King remake

july 19th 2019

Pride Points: 19

Postby Ninclow » May 9th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Hi, guys! I'm new, btw. ^^'

Or, new-ish.
---------------------------------------

I must say I almost face-palmed when I saw Kion's reaction to Ono's: "Its a sinkhole! And it looks like someone has fallen in; I think it's the King!"

Kion was WAAAAAAAAY to calm. Okay, sure, he's the leader of the lion guard and thus it should be expected he do not crack easily under pressure, but we're talking his DAD here. Kion should've been panicking. A much more heart-broken and horrified; "DAD!" were in order, and they should have stopped there, he ought to be too distraught to inquire about a status report and instead just be off the second the others tells him to go and run as fast as he can, his eyes wide and terrified, breathing unevenly, there's should've been some RELIEF in his face when he called out for his father and received an answer. Ono lost his composure more than Kion, which I find unrealistic.

Other than that, and Simba's animation (as TTB-Kun said), the episode was good.
Ninclow

Pride Points: 2

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard