Will the show be canon?

Re: Will the show be canon?

Postby crownofsimba » May 24th, 2015, 8:03 am

They're completely different genres is the main issue. The first movie is an epic, the second is an odd coupling of political drama with romance, and while I think conceptually it's interesting it was just impossible to pull off in a Disney dtv sequel. Like the most interesting scenes had to be cut, the concept was just too dark. Also it would have so much more satisfying to see Kiara give some sort of speech because what actually happens is really non sequitur.

Although Simba is really weird in it and its hard to explain why unless you pull some major canon-welding.

Although I still like the sequel a fair amount, don't get me wrong. I just think it could have been much better executed.
crownofsimba

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 5

Postby Elton John » May 24th, 2015, 8:11 am

What most people forget is that in press releases it's mentioned that the lion guard is being made for kids and their families. Not just specifically kids.

Judging by the audition dialogue (assuming it isn't fake) things get pretty heavy. Kion getting worried about becoming scar 2.0, mentions of not only death but massacres, etc.

Some of it was a little hokey but better than i'd expect from disney jr.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby crownofsimba » May 24th, 2015, 8:19 am

[quote="Elton John"]What most people forget is that in press releases it's mentioned that the lion guard is being made for kids and their families. Not just specifically kids.

Judging by the audition dialogue (assuming it isn't fake) things get pretty heavy. Kion getting worried about becoming scar 2.0, mentions of not only death but massacres, etc.

Some of it was a little hokey but better than i'd expect from disney jr.[/quote]

True but I feel like they say that about everything nowadays.

Also the audition thing felt kind of fake to me? But I can't figure out why someone would fake something like that so I'm conflicted.
crownofsimba

Postby Elton John » May 24th, 2015, 8:25 am

Eh, just because a target audience is young doesn't mean something can't be enjoyed by an older audience.

Like, nintendo games. They get flack for being 'kiddy' but they put out high quality products on a consistent basis.

And the thing that points toward the audition dialogue being real is how it was taken down. If it was made to be fake they would have kept it up, but whoever uploaded it probably got in trouble with Disney.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby crownofsimba » May 24th, 2015, 8:34 am

True.

I think the fact they seem to have an entirely new studio division for this show also bodes well.
crownofsimba

Postby Captain Cupcake » May 24th, 2015, 8:44 am

It all ultimately depends on how well-written the show turns out. A press release doesn't mean much if the body of work doesn't back up what they say.

What makes a show mature and appealing to a wide range of audiences is if it both tackles and executes thought provoking subjects skillfully while also keeping things compelling and understandable for the younger audiences. Character interactions, the conflicts they face, and the stories they use all must be a approached with a more sophisticated touch.

This is what separates highly acclaimed animated series and the majority of Disney's films from the average cartoon.
Captain Cupcake
Hnnng...

HNNNGGGG!!!

Nickname(s): Master
Pride Points: 11

Postby Elton John » May 24th, 2015, 8:50 am

I don't know how well written it will be but Disney putting a lot of effort into other areas of the show gives me hope that the writing won't be an afterthought.

I don't expect superdeep writing, but stuff that doesn't feel insulting.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » May 24th, 2015, 11:41 pm

[quote="crownofsimba"]Simba's Pride was made to sell VHS tapes.[/quote]

I have to politely disagree with that. I know that at the end of the day, every movie or any other form of entertainment media wants to make money. Business is business after all. But there would have been no attempt at all to link Lion King and Lion King 2 if Lion King 2 was not meant to expand The world of The Lion King. Could some story elements have been explained better? Definitely, but Like it or not Lion King 2 is a sequel to Lion King and it was always intended to be.

My sister had the opportunity to hear that Lion Guard audition, her initial response was that the kid reading was not that good of an actor.

Perhaps that is why the audition did not sound legitimate to some, whereas to me what stood out about the audition was the serious nature of the dialog (as Elton John) pointed out. It gives me confidence that the writers are taking the series seriously. It also leads me to believe that given the level of care The Lion Guard seems to be receiving, it is likely intended to be canon.
Last edited by SimbasGuard on July 18th, 2015, 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Elton John » May 24th, 2015, 11:53 pm

Him not being a good actor makes me believe he wasn't chosen.

Everything entertainment wise by big corps like Disney are made to make money and sometimes you get high quality products in the process.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby SimbasGuard » May 25th, 2015, 1:31 am

[quote="Elton John"]Him not being a good actor makes me believe he wasn't chosen.[/quote]

He is also not who IMDB lists as Kion, although that is just what IMDB says.

[quote="Elton John"]Everything entertainment wise by big corps like Disney are made to make money and sometimes you get high quality products in the process.[/quote]

That is also true, some corporations realize high quality products are more likely to make money.

Then there are still those who care about their work and strive for high quality.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

PreviousNext

Return to The Lion Guard