Why is there no DVD version of the show?

Why is there no DVD version of the show?

Postby Luigi Severus » June 30th, 2013, 5:21 pm

I was wondering after I revived TLK as an obsession in 2011, why there was no DVD version of the musical... There is one for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (lovely musical by the way) and CATS (also lovely)... Come on Julie Taymor, release a DVD version!
He used to give me roses... I wish he would again...
Luigi Severus
Sideshow Bob

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Mario

Pride Points: -6

Re: Why is there no DVD version of the show?

Postby HasiraKali » June 30th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Because it's still making tons of money and a lot of times they won't release a DVD because they're affraid it will interfere with the productions running everywhere. There are recordings of it that they use to make the commercials and whatnot, but they will probably never release an official copy of it. Maybe we'll get lucky though and they'll do some kind of special anniversary concert version like they did for Les Mis and Phantom of the Opera. But I don't see that happening honestly.
We are so much more complicated than our names.
If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.
Lea Halalela Lion King Forums
HasiraKali

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Dreamin'...

Nickname(s): Manda
Pride Points: 24

Postby TheLionPrince » June 30th, 2013, 8:08 pm

My argument is pretty much the same as HasiraKali because it will undermine the purpose of experiencing the musical live. However, there are video clips of the cast members performing songs from the musical like performing "They Live in You/He Lives in You" on The Rosie O'Donnell Show. You can also check out some performance and behind-the-scene interviews with the cast and crew on Disney on Broadway's YouTube channel. There is also a special edition release of TLK on Broadway CD which includes a DVD of behind-the-scenes video content. Check out it: here

I'm not positively sure why Cats and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat got DVD releases, but I do know they weren't performing Joseph on Broadway when the DVD was released in 1999. The Lion King doesn't have that opportunity since it's constantly performing all around the world.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby HasiraKali » June 30th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Cats was done for its anniversary and so was Joseph. Same with Phantom and Les Mis. I really wish they'd release it. Phantom in particular has not hurt for attendance since the 25th Anniversary DVD was released. It's consistently in the top five for attendance along with TLK. Who knows though. Maybe one day we'll get an official video release. Until then, I'm contenting myself with the crappy recordings you can find in the darker parts of YouTube. :p
We are so much more complicated than our names.
If you're not here to party, get out of the teacup.
Lea Halalela Lion King Forums
HasiraKali

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Dreamin'...

Nickname(s): Manda
Pride Points: 24

Postby nathalie » June 30th, 2013, 10:17 pm

I agree with that argument.

It's still way too popular, and sold out shows in every country it's playing.
Making a DVD would ruin all that.
nathalie
tlk soundtrack freak

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby RedKite » August 26th, 2013, 4:27 pm

I'M GOING TO SEE IT NEXT WEEKEND! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RedKite
Protector of the Circle

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Defender of Life

Nickname(s): Red, Redd, Reddie, Kite
Pride Points: 5

Postby H4RRY5 » September 21st, 2014, 12:38 am

I'm not sure if this is a DVD, but there's a video on Youtube of the whole musical (Japanese version) divided in a lot of parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUw4DoSBSQ4&
H4RRY5

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Return to Marketplace