Nalas view of Kovu

Nalas view of Kovu

Postby PrincessKiara » February 13th, 2013, 6:43 pm

There is something which I have been thinking of.. what did Nala think of Kovu?
She seems to be quite positive to him from the start, she reminds Simba that he saved Kiaras life, and alongside Kiara, Nala looks excited that Kovu is allowed to join the pride.
Later, Nala tells Simba that perhaps Kovu doesn`t walk the path excpected of him.

I have always been wondering about what Nala was thinking during the exile scene. Kiara had a firm belief that Kovu couldn`t have had anything to do with the ambush, but what did Nala think about all this? Her mate had been attacked, there was no denying that, and the fact that it put Kovu in a very bad light. Did Nala still believe that Kovu was different than Simba anticipated? Did she sympathize with her daughters pain of seeing her lover exiled, or was she simply filled with fury on Simbas behalf?

Judging by the look on Nalas face, she is obviously upset and worried, but why? Because of Simbas injuries, because she feels sorry for Kiara, or because she believes Kovu is innocent, and that Simba is making a mistake by exiling him?

What do you think?
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: Nalas view of Kovu

Postby InsaneSeagull » February 13th, 2013, 7:53 pm

Hmmm, I am pretty sure she did find him innocent. She was supporting him and Kiara from the whole start. Actually, aside from Kiara, she was the only one who didn't find just Scar's heir in him, but another whole new lion in need.

Of course, it's possible that deep inside she was doubting, but she would never show it, probably due to her always-was stubborn personality and due to her not wishing to hurt Kiara.

So, I believe it's actually the combination of those two. She knew how much Kiara loved him, and, what's even more important, she could sense it that he also really liked her. She knew Kovu wouldn't hurt Simba, if not for his own reasons, then for Kiara.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby DGFone » February 14th, 2013, 12:10 am

I think that the only reason why Nala was so positive towards Kovu was because the plot necessitated it. As a actual character, she has no reason to trust Kovu, and plenty of reasons why to be distrustful at best, if not flat out hostile like Simba. Kovu after all is still an Outlander, and the laws of the land state that any Outlanders caught in Pride Lander territory arr to be killed or run off...

... start rolling the credits...

Which is where the problem has to be fixed with a nastily placed wedge. Nala is passive towards Kovu because it's Kiara's job to love him, Simba's job to hate him, and if Nala were to get characterization beyond neutral, it would derail the balance of power either towards Simba or Kiara.

I think we can all agree that in Simba's Pride, Nala is more of a scenery prop than an actual character. :cry:
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby MrTitans » February 14th, 2013, 12:19 am

[quote="DGFone"] I think we can all agree that in Simba's Pride, Nala is more of a scenery prop than an actual character. :cry:[/quote]
So true

Avatar: made by Shadow my mother<3 Siggy by Regulus, Jirani, Shadowfax, KristinaKiara and DatLioness.
MrTitans
Nalas true mate

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I still Want Nala

Nickname(s): GearsofWar, Gears, Mio
Pride Points: 19

Postby OuRaion » February 14th, 2013, 12:21 am

[quote="MrTitans"][quote="DGFone"] I think we can all agree that in Simba's Pride, Nala is more of a scenery prop than an actual character. :cry:[/quote]
So true[/quote]

I third it.
It's like Nala wasn't there at all.
OuRaion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 60

Postby TheLionPrince » February 14th, 2013, 12:53 am

Nala seems to have had a favorable opinion of Kovu throughout most of the film. I'm sure she disliked the Outsiders given her response to Zira at the start of the film, but when Kovu saved her daughter's life, she began to warm up to him. The only problem here is that she knows, as well as Simba, that Kovu is Scar's heir to the throne and in order to fulfill that goal, he must kill her mate. Also, she clearly has a dislike for Vitani for reasons unknown as seen in the final battle, and she mostly likely knows that Kovu is Vitani's brother. So why does Nala have a high opinion of Kovu? First, she could be willing to give Kovu another chance (unlike Simba) because he saved Kiara's life, and second, because the story needed her to be so Simba can have a reason to bond with Kovu.

As for the exile sequence, she seemed to be shocked. Why? I feel it's because she trusted him, and couldn't see why he would betray the pride's trust by starting an ambush on Simba. Anyway, I can't seem to make out Nala's body language in the screenshot during the exile scene:

http://hq55.com/disney/lion2/lion2-disn ... m-6815.jpg
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby ScarsLove » February 16th, 2013, 6:19 pm

[quote="OuRaion"][quote="MrTitans"][quote="DGFone"] I think we can all agree that in Simba's Pride, Nala is more of a scenery prop than an actual character. :cry:[/quote]
So true[/quote]

I third it.
It's like Nala wasn't there at all.[/quote]

Fourth it.

And I completely agree with DGFone.

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby SimbasGuard » March 3rd, 2013, 10:51 pm

I think that Nala was concerned during Kovu's exile because Simba passed judgment out of anger without listening to Kovu's side of the story. I'm sure she was angry about Simba being attacked by The Outsiders, but I think she would have wanted to hear what Kovu had to say before branding him a traitor. Now if Kovu had attacked Simba the night Simba invited Him into the den I have no doubt that Nala would not have hesitated to kill Kovu in retaliation because there would have been no doubt as to what actually happened, I also don't think that Kiara's affection for Kovu would have prevented her seeing Kovu as am enemy if he had done that.
My Avatar Was Made For Me By Thegeni99 Thank You So Much!

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride.
SimbasGuard
Guardian of the Pride Lands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I protect Simba, his family, and his pride

Nickname(s): Anyone may shorten my name however they want.
Pride Points: 85

Postby Fangtuft » July 20th, 2013, 2:43 am

I believe that she should have talked it over with Simba before he had plainly decided to exile him. And if he would have listened when he said "I had nothing to do with this." He did say he had never heard the story of Scar that way and had wanted nothing more to do with him.
yes, i am a comic author uvuImage
Fangtuft

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Be Prepared!!!

Nickname(s): Cyuuzaki
Pride Points: 1

Postby SlayerOfLight » July 24th, 2013, 2:05 pm

Well, she obviously isn't as bigoted and judgmental like her husband was in most of the movie (except in the end when he finally accepted Kovu).
SlayerOfLight

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Return to The Movies