Simba stepping on Kiaras tail

Simba stepping on Kiaras tail

Postby PrincessKiara » January 1st, 2012, 10:18 pm

I know this topic may be a bit silly/pointless, so feel free to delete.

But I just wanted to point out something that puzzles me..

In the opening scene of SP when Kiara and Simba are at Pride Rock, Kiara starts to chase a butterfly, ignoring Simba, who is trying to talk to her. In order to get her attention, Simba steps on her tail. He then keeps his paw on it for several seconds before moving it.
Now, whenever I`ve stepped on any of my cats tails (by accident, naturally) they`ve always hissed or screeched in pain. Simbas paw is huge, and I find it odd that Kiara doesn`t seem to notice him crushing her tail.. (sorry about the hugeness of the pics)

Image Image
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Re: Simba stepping on Kiaras tail

Postby Noah » January 1st, 2012, 10:20 pm

Good observation. Though aren't lion paws padded on the bottom? This would mean it's not being crushed, just squeezed a little bit.
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby FlipMode » January 1st, 2012, 10:21 pm

When I saw it, I did not think he was applying much force on it, just enough to hold her back.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby PrincessKiara » January 1st, 2012, 11:07 pm

[quote="Noahcs"]Good observation. Though aren't lion paws padded on the bottom? This would mean it's not being crushed, just squeezed a little bit.[/quote]

That`s correct, they are. I guess he`s just applying some gentle pressure.

[quote="FlipMode"]When I saw it, I did not think he was applying much force on it, just enough to hold her back.[/quote]

True. I don`t reckon he`s leaning his full weight on her tail.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby Lauren » January 2nd, 2012, 3:56 am

Of course, when Simba stepped on her tail, he was just trying to hold her back so she could listen to him. Not enough force for Kiara to have pain or anything. If he would have stepped onto it with harmful pressure, then it would have hurt.
Lauren

Postby SophieCub » January 2nd, 2012, 11:33 pm

Yeah, exactly what everyone else said. He didn't want to hurt Kiara, just stopping her from running any further so she could listen to him.
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby SilverSimba01 » January 5th, 2012, 4:29 am

like everyone just said, Simba was pressing on Kiara's tail to hold it but no too much to causing her pain
"I'm always willing to help you, even if you need someone to speak to"
SilverSimba01
I see good in everyone

"I wouldn't go down without fighting"

Nickname(s): Snowy, Radio, SS01,
Pride Points: 20

Postby Regulus » January 5th, 2012, 5:33 am

First of all, it's a cartoon. Physics aren't really considered that much. :P

Secondly, notice how Simba's center of gravity is directly above his other 3 paws, which form a strong triangular base, outlined in red.

This is in addition to his paw not even being directly over Kiara's tail. If you look carefully, you can see that only about 10% of his paw is holding Kiara's tail, the rest of his weight is being supported by the surrounding rock.
Last edited by Regulus on January 5th, 2012, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Noah » January 5th, 2012, 5:35 am

[quote="Regulus"]First of all, it's a cartoon. Physics aren't really considered that much. :P

Secondly, notice how Simba's center of gravity is directly above his other 3 paws, which form a strong triangular base, outlined in red.[/quote]

You blinded me with science Regulus. ;) Nah seriously, I agree with you.
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Regulus » January 5th, 2012, 5:40 am

Also, look at the angle of his paw that is holding Kiara's tail. He can't possibly be putting much weight on that paw. I sadly don't know how to express this in terms of physics, but if he did put a lot of weight on that paw with his wrist (do Lions have wrists? lol), it wouldn't be able to hold that angle. If it did, that would put an intense amount of stress on that joint, most likely causing it to break.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Return to The Movies