Overall Opinion of SP.

Simba's Pride General Thoughts (Ratings)

1 - This movie is an utter disgrace to the Lion King franchise. Such a horrible, sickeningly bad movie should never have been made. There is not a single redeeming quality about this film.
No votes
2 - This movie was horrible. It only had a few tiny parts I found enjoyable. An unentertaining, unpleasent and unneeded addition to the Lion King.
3%
3 - Has a few small redeeming qualities but not enough to pull this movie from the dirt. I somewhat like a few of the characters, most of them I dislike. Should not have been made, but there are a few sequels worse than this.
6%
4 - Just not a good film, honestly. It was cute, some of the characters were alright but it just lacked the same substance The Lion King had. Maybe for the kids, but I didn't enjoy this film very much.
11%
5 - Mediocre. Some memorable moments, but overall a forgettable though not horrible movie. I'm not a fan of the characters, and I feel this movie was just 'meh' all the way through, not exciting or compelling.
3%
6 - A little better than just mediocre, with catchy songs and nice characters. Although the plot wasn't marvelous, it was still enough to push the film up. I think it wasn't a masterpiece, but a nice little movie to watch with the kids.
6%
7 - A pretty nice movie. I like most of the characters, although I don't exactly love them. I think this was a good addition to the original, and I would watch it again.
10%
8 - A very good addition to TLK, with memorable songs, a clever plot and some unique, new characters to watch. A few general flaws, sure, but not enough to makes this movie bad. I quite like the film.
26%
9 - Excellent movie that I wouldn't mind watching if given the choice. Great music, great story, and truly loveable characters. A worthy addition to TLK. Almost a masterpiece, there were tiny little flaws that drug it down just a little.
23%
10 - A perfect, absolutely amazing film I can watch again and again. Even better than TLK? Perhaps. I love this film and every character, it does a great job of completing the Circle of Life.
11%

Total votes : 62

Re: Overall Opinion of SP.

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » May 30th, 2012, 5:01 am

It's a fun little movie but there were so many cringeworthy moments.

1. Cliche' love story and even cheesier song. So embarassing!

2. Zira was an obnoxious villain. I do like her but God, she was so melodramatic.

3. Too much Andy Dick. What were the creators thinking/smoking when they cast him?

What I did like

1. He Lives in You

2. Not one of us

3. More female character presence. I just wish there was some more thought put into the film. Instead all they saw were dollar signs.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby DGFone » May 30th, 2012, 5:19 am

I actually changed my vote from "a good addition to TLK" to "mediocre". This is because I watched SP recently, and it struck me as saddening at how much worse it was than I remembered it to be. Granted, it could have easily been a lot worse, and did have the occasional good moment or two, but when the credits started rolling, I was left feeling disappointed.

The characters I saw as the biggest issue with the movie. Simba was too strict with no rational reason. Nuka is just plain stupid (basically Ed, but Ed had his moments of clarity. Nuka didn't), and Kovu switches sides way too easily. For that matter, Kiara was way too trusting of Kovu as well.

And even Timon. In the first Lion King, he thought he knew everything, but occasionally, he did show some promise. Not so much in SP.

I'm sorry, Simba's Pride, but you let me down. :(
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » May 30th, 2012, 7:38 am

Voted for number 8 ^_^

I really did enjoy the movie, it was obviously great to see Simba's daughter for the first time and she quickly became my favourite character (although, my favourite film is still the original). Zira, Kovu and Vitani were interesting characters as well. The biggest two downsides to it were the facts that it had too many plot holes and Nala didn't have many lines.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby FloraTheDarkFaerie » May 30th, 2012, 4:41 pm

I voted 9 ^.^ I was tempted to vote 10, though I know there are a few flaws in there that could have been solved... but It's no secret that I absolutely adore SP, anyone who remembers me from before will know that.
[b]“I know what it's like to be cast out, to not be believed in. To long for a family.
All those years in the shadows I thought, no one knows what this feels like!
But now I see I was wrong. You don’t have to be alone Jack, I believe in you.”
-
FloraTheDarkFaerie
Not online much anymore.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

life drama and generally being busy.

Nickname(s): FDF, FloraLioness, KiaraKovu (K&K, Flora, Fae)
Pride Points: 33

Postby Lauren » May 30th, 2012, 10:45 pm

My vote goes for a 9. Yay. *Tee hee* :)

By far, I absolutely love SP just as much as the original and my love for both movies have always been exactly the same ever since and will forever. It's also my favorite Disney sequel and it's a 100 times better than most of the sequels Disney has ever made. When it comes to sequels, I hate when major characters end up voiced by another person instead of the first one, but I was so glad that all the original characters were voiced by the same cast members with the exception of Zazu, but that doesn't bother me so much since he's a minor. It has good animation, we see new faces and come to love most of them, the songs are beautiful, and the plot is actually worth watching than a pointless one. I know many of us are often complaining/questioning about the family relationships and Outsiders background, but it isn't too much of a big deal as long as they reference past characters. I loved continuing to spend more time with all the characters I came to love and see towards the future from where the first movie left off and we got peace at the end of the second movie. From SP, I have learned that you shouldn't judge someone by their cover or family past until you really get to know them. You all know me and I love it just like the original. <3
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KentuckyWildcat » May 31st, 2012, 1:07 am

I gave it a 7. It's pretty good as far as a sequel goes, but now that I'm old enough to objectively compare the two, it doesn't quite compare to the original.

The Good
1. The general idea. After all he that he had experienced, I'd doubt that Simba would be very well prepared to be a good king and father straight out of the box. Exploring this concept was a very good idea even if the execution wasn't perfect (more on that later).

2. The music. "He Lives in You" is the standout track, but all of the songs with possible exception to "Upendi" are very good and work well within the film.

3. The addition of Kovu and Zira as characters. Ignoring any potential holes in their backstory for a moment, both of them are interesting characters within the movie. Although it would be nice to make the movie longer and see Kovu struggle with himself a little longer, he still ended up being my favorite character. It's great to see him choose good despite being trained from a young age to be pure evil.

The Bad
1. Kiara. I don't hate her like some people, but I feel like she's a missed oppotunity. She shows absolutely no growth in the entire story. Rather than learning and growing from her mistakes like a good character should, she's right even when she's wrong (she uncritically accepts Kovu even when he still intends to kill Simba). This is especially a weakness in that she is used as the one who teaches Simba his lesson rather than Nala, Rafiki, or even Zazu, all characters who are wiser than Kiara and her rash actions that just happen to work out for the better.

2. Too much Timon and Pumbaa. I wasn't a huge fan of them even in the original movie, but they did at least serve their purpose as comic relief. Here their lines weren't as funny, and giving them far more screen time than more important characters like Nala was a bad move. The addition of Nuka only made this problem worse. That much comic relief in a relatively short movie just wasn't needed.

3. Plot holes. They aren't all that bad, but the uncertainty surrounding the Outsiders, their origin, and their exact relationship to Scar is nonetheless annoying.

All in all, the good outweighs the bad and I can still enjoy this movie though. It's a masterpiece compared to a lot of Disney sequels.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.
KentuckyWildcat
Mother don't you cry

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hell don't need me

Pride Points: 7

Postby PrincessKiara » June 3rd, 2012, 5:06 pm

I like Simba`s Pride a lot, though I do prefer the original movie. Three things that bother me about SP is Nalas role being downplayed so much, Timon and Pumbaa stealing the focus and... Upendi. I also wish that Vitanis character was developed more, she`s always in the background, I get the feeling the movie would have stayed the same if she`d been cut. She doesn`t really perform a function until the very end, when she is the first of the Outlander lionesses to turn against Zira.

I LOVE that Simba has a daughter (and I`m a big fan of Kiara) and I LOVE that this movie has a female villain. There needs to be more female villains, generally.
I love the songs (Upendi being the exception there) and I enjoy the new characters... well, Nuka not so much.

I voted for option 8.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby MooLion » June 8th, 2012, 5:49 pm

I voted 6, but there were other numbers I had agreements with!

Simba's Pride pails against the strength of the original.

My like for this film has really varied over the years. First time I watched it I was unimpressed. Next time I started enjoying it and then more and more. In recent years my feelings on different films -- without meaning to sound snobby -- have become more critical (with relevant study) and so films like this become 'yeah...mainly for the kids, really'. On my last watch I actually found it most tedious and wanted it to just end. XD

I don't dislike it: it gives us more chance to see the characters, however flawed they might be, and I'm always a sucker for a catchy Disney song, and the story isn't dreadful (but this definitely has flaws).
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby Carl » June 8th, 2012, 6:13 pm

I chose 9.
Simba's Pride is based on Romeo and Juliette, so it's a win in my opinion.
I still prefer the first movie, and watch it with more frequency, but I've watched SP since I was little and loved it the whole time.
It's still very far from my favorite movie, though.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Kopalover » June 8th, 2012, 11:36 pm

Personally, I chose a 4.

It was a cute movie, great for kids. Yet there were more bad qualities than good.

Bad:
-Nala; They absolutely did not show enough screen time for Nala. I wish they would've shown her relationship with Kiara aswell, but instead.. they insisted to have Kiara and Simba have a great relationship and Nala was just out of the picture. Also, Simba and Nala are supposed to be in eternal love. Yet, not enough Simba/Nala moments were shown. I know the movie was about Kiara/ Kovu, but still..
-Timon and Pumbaa; One word. Over-use. These characters were way to involved in this film for comedy relive. As said above.. there jokes were not as funny. I believe these characters were way too overused in both films, but they brought it WAY over the top in SP.
-Back Stories; THESE WERE NOT EXPLAINED ENOUGH. Why are the Outlanders banned? Who is Nuka, Vitani and Kovu's father? Where did Zira come in? Why are both cubs in both movies so different looking? Why is Simba so over protective of Kiara? They left us all with so many questions its unbelievable. They really should have brought out the backstory way more.
-Kiara; I don't like her, personally. She seems too dimwitted for a character I could fall in love with. I think they should have made her more elegant and beautiful like her mother. Instead of having all of her characteristics come from her father. I really would've liked Simba to have a son instead of a daughter, so we can watch Simba try and be like his father, but realize he just needs to be himself.
-Upendi; enough said.

That's enough of my rant today. My fingers are tired!
Signatures by Shadowfax, thank you love <3
Kopalover
X-RAAYY

...AND VAAAAAV

Nickname(s): Zoe, KL
Pride Points: 33

PreviousNext

Return to The Movies