Overall Opinion of SP.

Simba's Pride General Thoughts (Ratings)

1 - This movie is an utter disgrace to the Lion King franchise. Such a horrible, sickeningly bad movie should never have been made. There is not a single redeeming quality about this film.
No votes
2 - This movie was horrible. It only had a few tiny parts I found enjoyable. An unentertaining, unpleasent and unneeded addition to the Lion King.
3%
3 - Has a few small redeeming qualities but not enough to pull this movie from the dirt. I somewhat like a few of the characters, most of them I dislike. Should not have been made, but there are a few sequels worse than this.
6%
4 - Just not a good film, honestly. It was cute, some of the characters were alright but it just lacked the same substance The Lion King had. Maybe for the kids, but I didn't enjoy this film very much.
11%
5 - Mediocre. Some memorable moments, but overall a forgettable though not horrible movie. I'm not a fan of the characters, and I feel this movie was just 'meh' all the way through, not exciting or compelling.
3%
6 - A little better than just mediocre, with catchy songs and nice characters. Although the plot wasn't marvelous, it was still enough to push the film up. I think it wasn't a masterpiece, but a nice little movie to watch with the kids.
6%
7 - A pretty nice movie. I like most of the characters, although I don't exactly love them. I think this was a good addition to the original, and I would watch it again.
10%
8 - A very good addition to TLK, with memorable songs, a clever plot and some unique, new characters to watch. A few general flaws, sure, but not enough to makes this movie bad. I quite like the film.
26%
9 - Excellent movie that I wouldn't mind watching if given the choice. Great music, great story, and truly loveable characters. A worthy addition to TLK. Almost a masterpiece, there were tiny little flaws that drug it down just a little.
23%
10 - A perfect, absolutely amazing film I can watch again and again. Even better than TLK? Perhaps. I love this film and every character, it does a great job of completing the Circle of Life.
11%

Total votes : 62

Re: Overall Opinion of SP.

Postby SummerSnowLeopard » September 3rd, 2011, 11:00 pm

My opinion on SP is....some good, most bad. I really despised the new personalities and appearences of the characters and all the plot-holes. I also didn't like all the flaws in animation and the fact that it was only made for money. On the other hand though, I liked it because it had new and interesting characters and some tolerable songs. So, I'm not sure. I'd rather watch the first TLK other than SP if given a choice.
SummerSnowLeopard

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Summer
Pride Points: 38

Postby Whitelionesseyes » September 3rd, 2011, 11:15 pm

9 - Excellent movie that I wouldn't mind watching if given the choice. Great music, great story, and truly loveable characters. A worthy addition to TLK. Almost a masterpiece, there were tiny little flaws that drug it down just a little.

I voted for that one because though it's my favorite movie and will always be, and I love, love, love, love, love, love it, I have to accept that it's not perfect.
•·.·¯·.·•—(•÷[•·.·´¯`·.·••°¤*(¯`°(At last I see the light)°´¯)*¤°••·.·´¯`·.·•]÷•)—•·.·¯·.·•

••°¤*(¯`Image°´¯)*¤°••
<º)))><•´¯`•±‡±Sing to me the song of the stars, of your galaxies dancing and laughing and laughing again. When I feel like my home is so far sing to me of the plans for which you sent me to this Earth±‡±•´¯`•><(((º>
Whitelionesseyes
••¤(`×[¤Light Crystal¤]×´)¤••

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

•°¤*(¯`°(We Are One)°´¯)*¤°•

Nickname(s): •°¤*White, lioness, WLE*¤°•

Postby TheLionPrince » September 4th, 2011, 12:56 am

I gave it an 8. The Lion King II, compared to other Disney sequels/midquels/prequels, is a masterpiece, though it doesn't come close to the masterpiece that is The Lion King due to a somewhat predictable storyline, and continuity errors. But, the movie makes up for that in music and characters.

The music in The Lion King II is expectional, and I'm glad they kept the African influence in the music. In my opinion, "We are One", is the best song in the movie because it is the moral of the story, but "He Lives in You" and "Not One of Us" are also good. Music: B+

The story is basically the royal version of Romeo & Juliet with some Manchurian Candidate thrown in there, too. The writers actually seems like they put a lot of effort into coming up with a good storyline, but the ending of the movie is predictable, and I think the story suffers because it leaves some questions unexplained as to the origins of Zira and the Outsiders, and has continuity problems because the presentations of Kiara doesn't resemble Fluffy's presentation in the first film. It is also dark, dramatic, and serious (with some comedic relief) like the first film, which I liked. Finally, it has a timeless message of "We are One", "Put the past behind us", and "love conquers all". Story: B-

It does seem like they change the personalities of the characters, especially Nala, as she isn't as spunky, and she is kind of left in the background. However, Kovu, Nuka, and Zira were all well-developed characters, and Simba, in a way, because he is trying too hard to be like Mufasa (as evident of his reaction to Kiara's statement) and finally releases himself of the hate towards the Outsiders he had in his heart for years. Characters: B-

The animation was okay, and the quality of the animation is kind of lackluster compared to the first film, but it's better than the animation in The Return of Jafar, another Disney sequel. Animation: C

So, overall, I think Simba's Pride is a solid movie, but it would been better if it were produced for a theatrical release, had some involvement of the original creators, and a little bit more thought.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby MuddyMufasa » October 2nd, 2011, 1:01 pm

I gave it a 10. :3 I absolutely adore Simba's Pride. The movie was just great. It was just as good as the original in its own way. I just loved all the new characters, the plot, the music, and everything about the movie.
MuddyMufasa
Mufasa's Biggest Fan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Muddy, Mufasa
Pride Points: 10

Postby Flowertall » October 2nd, 2011, 6:43 pm

I voted for option 3, but also considered nr. 2, because I have so many problems with it. Nala and Zazu, who in the first movie were very enjoyable, are just there. That`s how I`d describe it, they are just there. They aren`t entertaining, they don`t say anything special.

And cub Kiara is very annoying, she laughs for no reason sometimes. In the very first scene with cub Kiara when she`s not an infant anymore, we see her standing on the tip of Pride Rock and saying "Wow" when she sees the view, as if she`s never seen it before. She grew up there, and when you`ve seen the same view 20 times, you won`t go "Wow" every time you see it. Poor scriptwriting.

Another example of poor scriptwriting is when Simba is telling Timon and Pumbaa that they should look after her because "danger could be lurking behind every rock". What dangers? The hyenas are gone, the outlanders are banished (for reasons that are never explained), so what dangers are there? Simba is obviously the ruler of the animal kingdom, since both movies start with all kinds of animals bowing in respect for the king and queen`s offspring. Is Simba afraid of the animals that recently bowed and paid respects to his daughter?

Some might say that this is just Simba being overprotective, but this is just being plain stupid. Are you king or aren`t you?

These are just some out of many problems.
They hate each other`s guts
Flowertall

Pride Points: 1

Postby Ophelia » October 2nd, 2011, 6:50 pm

[quote="Flowertall"]I voted for option 3, but also considered nr. 2, because I have so many problems with it. Nala and Zazu, who in the first movie were very enjoyable, are just there. That`s how I`d describe it, they are just there. They aren`t entertaining, they don`t say anything special.

And cub Kiara is very annoying, she laughs for no reason sometimes. In the very first scene with cub Kiara when she`s not an infant anymore, we see her standing on the tip of Pride Rock and saying "Wow" when she sees the view, as if she`s never seen it before. She grew up there, and when you`ve seen the same view 20 times, you won`t go "Wow" every time you see it. Poor scriptwriting.

Another example of poor scriptwriting is when Simba is telling Timon and Pumbaa that they should look after her because "danger could be lurking behind every rock". What dangers? The hyenas are gone, the outlanders are banished (for reasons that are never explained), so what dangers are there? Simba is obviously the ruler of the animal kingdom, since both movies start with all kinds of animals bowing in respect for the king and queen`s offspring. Is Simba afraid of the animals that recently bowed and paid respects to his daughter?

Some might say that this is just Simba being overprotective, but this is just being plain stupid. Are you king or aren`t you?

These are just some out of many problems.[/quote]

I just wanted to add, just because the Outlanders were banished didn't mean they didn't pose a threat. Considering the group that Zira was rallying, Simba was rightfully worried about his only daughter, I think. Besides, crocodiles still might pose a threat, regardless of Simba's kingship and the like - and a lot of youngsters can get into accidents, even without the help of a hyena and the like. :lol: She could accidently get beneath an elephant's foot, end up falling over a cliff (much like Zira), things like that. And remember in TLK when Simba made a job of going to the Elephant Graveyard by his absolute own means? Kiara's almost exactly like he was in his youth, and I wouldn't put it past her...obviously. ;)

Just thought it was a point!
Ophelia

Man was in the forest.

Nickname(s): Abby, Phelia, Ophie
Pride Points: 12

Postby Flowertall » October 2nd, 2011, 7:12 pm

[quote="Ophelia"]I just wanted to add, just because the Outlanders were banished didn't mean they didn't pose a threat. Considering the group that Zira was rallying, Simba was rightfully worried about his only daughter, I think. Besides, crocodiles still might pose a threat, regardless of Simba's kingship and the like - and a lot of youngsters can get into accidents, even without the help of a hyena and the like. :lol: She could accidently get beneath an elephant's foot, end up falling over a cliff (much like Zira), things like that. And remember in TLK when Simba made a job of going to the Elephant Graveyard by his absolute own means? Kiara's almost exactly like he was in his youth, and I wouldn't put it past her...obviously. ;)

Just thought it was a point![/quote]

I thought about it, but I couldn`t find any other conclusions. In the "I just can`t wait to be king" song we see elephants, rhinos, hippos, giraffes and even crocodiles singing along and treating Simba and Nala as royalties. So it`s not logical to believe that Simba would be afraid of Kiara getting hurt by those animals.

It just struck me that the crocodiles attack both Kiara and Kovu, and they are being chased by a group of rhinos later, but that again doesn`t make sense. It`s kinda contradictive that in the beginning the entire animal kingdom is gathering in front of Pride Rock to bow to the new princess, and some of those animals would try to kill her afterwards.

Yes, they did talk about the outsiders before Simba let her go, but he specifically told her to stay away from the outlands, that`s where he believed they would be. He shouted to Kiara when she was on her way to stay on the path he`d marked for her, and that line was obviously far away from the outlands.

And if he really was worried about the outlanders, who are lions, there`s no way he would just have Timon and Pumbaa look after her. A meerkat and a warthog would be no match for a group of outlanders.
They hate each other`s guts
Flowertall

Pride Points: 1

Postby Ophelia » October 2nd, 2011, 8:15 pm

Hmm, I see. But despite the fact that Nala and Simba are treated as royalty by those animals, it still might make sense as the "natural order" of things. What I mean is is that just because those animals were used for a musical number, they still might have the natural order of things by still rightfully killing those animals. But I do agree, it is contradictive, at least on some level.

That's true, yes - but what about the accidents I mentioned? Also, just because he marked that path for her and told her not to go to the Outlands, judging by Kiara's personality that really doesn't mean anything, haha. She'd go nonetheless, if she pleased; she was just as spunky and stubborn as he was, and he managed to find his way to the Elephant Graveyard all on his own. Though I did mention the accidents, I do understand that it'd be overprotective at times whenever Kiara's going on her first hunt, because then she'd be a young adult and it was time that she could make her own decisions and at least partially care for herself.

And I don't think it's an excuse; Simba really is quite overprotective. I think it's a fact. ;)
Ophelia

Man was in the forest.

Nickname(s): Abby, Phelia, Ophie
Pride Points: 12

Postby Regulus » October 2nd, 2011, 8:30 pm

It's almost as good as the original, although not quite. It just seems to be lacking something that the original had, I'm not sure what though.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Katelyn23 » October 2nd, 2011, 8:59 pm

I voted for Option 8. I liked SP a lot but there were some flaws that make it not measure up to what TLK was. There were some interesting new characters added like Kovu, Zira and Nuka. But there was also the fact that some original characters just weren't in it enough like Nala. I liked almost all the music from SP so I didn't find much flaw in that area. The story was nice, but like TheLionPrince, I also felt it was a little predictable. Still nonetheless the Romeo and Juiliette style for the film was cute. Simba's Pride in my opinion, was a masterpiece, that I could watch again, but it still falls behind the original for my favourite film.

Katelyn23
We are the champions.

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I be speakin' swaghili.

Pride Points: 20

PreviousNext

Return to The Movies