Zira - alternate death scene vs official death scene

Zira - alternate death scene vs official death scene

Postby FlipMode » March 26th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Hey guys now I know that a lot of people might have seen this before, but as far as I know there has not been a proper thread on it yet.
So in case you have not seen Zira's original death scene that did not make it into the final film then you can see that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoctlRyGdf8

So now I just wanted to hear people's thoughts on the original scene. In case you couldn't make it out - Zira refuses to take Kiara's paw and lets go, thus committing suicide and smiling while doing so. But in the actual film, she just slips further down until she reaches the bottom. So what I wandered is what people think of the original suicide scene, in comparison to what happens in the final film. Do you think that the suicide suited her character more? Discuss it away ^^
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: Zira - alternate death scene vs official death scene

Postby AdAstrα » March 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

The suicide thing would have added so much depth to Zira as a character, and to the movie itself. I think they should have kept it.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby KingKovu44 » March 26th, 2011, 7:25 pm

[quote="QueenOfPrideRock"]The suicide thing would have added so much depth to Zira as a character, and to the movie itself. I think they should have kept it.[/quote]

I agree. Too bad Disney didn't see things the same way.
My Forums: http://madagascarpalace87.proboards.com/index.cgi

I'm also the #1 fan of Tigress from KFP, Gia the jaguar from Madagascar 3 and adult Nala from TLK!

-Sig made for me by Feathertail

I believe in Jesus Christ my savior, and I am not afraid to admit it. If you are a Christian, please copy and paste this into your signature.
KingKovu44
King Of Wolves

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Road Rovers Fan

Nickname(s): Alpha, Kingy, RR
Pride Points: 56

Postby FlipMode » March 26th, 2011, 7:32 pm

I think it was because ya know... Kids and suicide... It would have been controversial, those were more conservative times. Thing is though, even in the actual film she still chooses not to take her paw, it just is not in quite as extreme a manner as this deleted scene was...
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby AdAstrα » March 26th, 2011, 7:35 pm

I hardly think they would have interpreted it like that though. Most kids barely even know what a suicide is.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Godric » March 26th, 2011, 7:41 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]I think it was because ya know... Kids and suicide... It would have been controversial, those were more conservative times. Thing is though, even in the actual film she still chooses not to take her paw, it just is not in quite as extreme a manner as this deleted scene was...[/quote]
Agree. It would be too dark for a Disney movie.
Godric

Pride Points: 0

Postby Nitro » March 26th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Besides, it was kind of suicide in the official death scene. When she refused Kiara's paw, she refused life and thus chose death, so in a way, she killed herself.
Nitro
Green Rider

Pride Points: 20

Postby KingKovu44 » March 26th, 2011, 8:06 pm

[quote="Nitro"]Besides, it was kind of suicide in the official death scene. When she refused Kiara's paw, she refused life and thus chose death, so in a way, she killed herself.[/quote]

Hmm. I've never thought of it that way before. That's a very interesting thought.
My Forums: http://madagascarpalace87.proboards.com/index.cgi

I'm also the #1 fan of Tigress from KFP, Gia the jaguar from Madagascar 3 and adult Nala from TLK!

-Sig made for me by Feathertail

I believe in Jesus Christ my savior, and I am not afraid to admit it. If you are a Christian, please copy and paste this into your signature.
KingKovu44
King Of Wolves

Road Rovers Fan

Nickname(s): Alpha, Kingy, RR
Pride Points: 56

Postby Godric » March 26th, 2011, 8:10 pm

[quote="Nitro"]Besides, it was kind of suicide in the official death scene. When she refused Kiara's paw, she refused life and thus chose death, so in a way, she killed herself.[/quote]
Well, I think she just didn't want to be helped by Kiara, because when she slips and falls, she starts screaming.
Godric

Pride Points: 0

Postby Nitro » March 26th, 2011, 8:27 pm

It's ironic. That's how Mufasa dies, except he asked for Taka's paw and he was thrown down, not refusing a paw and slipping down.
Nitro
Green Rider

Pride Points: 20

Next

Return to The Movies