Horse Riding

Re: Horse Riding

Postby Kitty » July 30th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I've ridden a horse several times over the years. It is soo much fun~! However, I'm the kind of girl who likes keeping both feet on the ground at all times, and so.. horse riding was a little out of my comfort zone x.x

Banner by SophieCub :3
Kitty

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 4

Postby Annie » July 31st, 2012, 11:16 pm

[quote="Shadowfax"]Bless ^^ It looks pretty =3

Do you go to many shows?[/quote]

I used to, but Ned doesn't do well at jumping shows :P so we're sticking to in-hand for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD1KQSrBYjk
R.I.P Annie, Holly, Spike, Louie, Mel, Robbie, Mr.H, Molly, Archie, Blobby and Dancer <3
Annie
Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Rawr

Pride Points: 29

Postby Shadowfax » August 5th, 2012, 1:49 pm

OMG that is exactly what Jazz is like at shows! XD Mokeys arn't they? Yet at home they jump beautifully =3

Nice to see there are some patient and clam riders out there still ^-^ You did really well with him in that vid ^^

Here is Jazz being a n00b at her first clear round show five years ago

Shadowfax
Never give up;

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

And good luck will find you.

Pride Points: 182

Postby Dark Huntress » November 4th, 2012, 2:05 am

I've only ridden once...I've never enjoyed anything so much in my life (except one thing)! Her name was Sophie and she was dark brown and had a white stripe on her forehead. I want a horse :pout: I sincerely envy all of those MLK users with horses.
Thx Silver ^^ Image
My MLK Family and Friends: show
Sisters/BFs: Scarsmate, Meeko, Kiki, Redkite, and SimbaObsessor
Uncle: Tora
Godfather: James
Brother: Realmofthedragon
Mother: Wolfishgirl
Aunt: Unikels
ADORBZ [fluffy!] kitty friend: OuRaion

Credits Where Due: show
Thank-you, Darth Julie for the amazing avatar!!!
And thx, Silver for the kickbutt siggy!

My Philosophy: show
Love with every bit of who you really are, not with who you pretend to be.

FanFics:
Feedback appreciated! Please check it out!
Bond of Brothers

All artists, please join me on my art odyssey!
Dark Huntress
...And this Mortal...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Shall put on Immortality....

Nickname(s): TJ, DH, et cetera
Pride Points: 22

Postby Shadowfax » November 5th, 2012, 9:04 pm

^ They are really hard work. If I hadn't had Jazz since I was 17, I wouldn't have bothered getting one when I was older as they are such a tie and so much work/money. I definitely won't own a horse again after Jazz, unless I win loads of money or something xD

Do you plan on going riding again? =3
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TwilightClover » November 23rd, 2012, 12:59 am

I do quite enjoy horse riding on the whole, but I do find it scary at times :D :) :0
TwilightClover

Pride Points: 3

Postby Shadowfax » November 25th, 2012, 8:46 pm

^ Jazz isn't scary :P
Shadowfax
Never give up;

Postby Gemini » August 19th, 2014, 8:31 pm

Old thread. Oh well. :3

I love horse riding, but we've never had money for a horse or for lessons, so it's extremely sporadic. I'm fine with them on the ground, I know all about how to take care of them and everything, but when I get into the saddle I'm still pretty tense and uncomfortable. IMO, I can't really ride that well, and I have very few opportunities to get better, especially since my best friend moved away and took her horse.

She taught me a lot of what I know, her and her horse, Shalimar (pretty little fleabitten Arab mare - I think she's about 10 now, and only like 14.2 hands :P). They had a very special bond, too - my friend had owned her mom, Pandora, but didn't know she was pregnant when they adopted her (she was a rescue case so very malnourished). When my friend was 5 that horse had Shalimar. She trained her herself and everything, she was really a natural with those things. Such a calm horse, really patient with me (even though I did things wrong a lot Px), well-behaved. A bit lazy though, but again, we loved her. <3

I really miss riding, now that I think about it. I'd love to really pursue it and get better but we just don't have the money for any sort of expensive hobby or anything like that. I'm hoping maybe there'll be a chance to learn in college, but I really don't know. *shrug*

But yeah. Those are my (sparse) horse riding experiences. xP
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Ninaroja » August 20th, 2014, 1:16 am

^YNK - University of Southampton has a riding stables that anyone can pay a little money (presumably amounts a student could afford, since it's tied to the University) to ride. I think I might avail of this opportunity at least once when I'm there - like I told you before my friend Catherine loved horses with her entire being - it would be a tribute to her in a way to do it also :) Plus, I'd get to be around animals again :D
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Gemini » November 30th, 2016, 5:07 am

[quote="Ninaroja"]^YNK - University of Southampton has a riding stables that anyone can pay a little money (presumably amounts a student could afford, since it's tied to the University) to ride. I think I might avail of this opportunity at least once when I'm there - like I told you before my friend Catherine loved horses with her entire being - it would be a tribute to her in a way to do it also :) Plus, I'd get to be around animals again :D[/quote]

That sounds great. :) Did you ever get to try it?

Anyway, this is a super old thread but updating again. Since I'm at UC Davis now, well - we have our own stables and equestrian program here. I took a couple of lessons but since I already knew the very basics they told me that I should join the equestrian team and show, so now I do!

(Well, haven't shown yet - this is my first quarter doing it! But it went great and I think I'm already getting a lot better).

Right now I'm on the hunter/jumper team which basically does equitation on the flat and over jumps. I haven't actually gotten to jump yet since I don't have any show experience and thus was placed into WT (walk-trot), but hopefully I can point out pretty quickly and continue on to WTC and finally get to do some little jumps. I'm really excited.

I'm also strongly considering the dressage team as well, since a lot of people do both and that would be a great way for me to be able to ride more than once a week. The school has a lot of great horses and it's been awesome to be able to go and clean/tack/ride/untack them and just have that exposure again.

But yeah, I'm super happy that I finally get to do this! I've had horses in my heart since I was about 8 or 9 (it's been about ten years now), and... well, it took until my second year of college, but I finally got my dream of regular lessons. Hoping for a lease pretty soon too, since (as I mentioned in my first post) I've been handling them and caring for them for a lot longer than I've been regularly riding. I took a class and interned at our horse barn as well, since that's related to my major, so like... yeah, caring for them is not going to be a big problem, I don't think. Just need to find someone who's willing to maybe lease their horse out part-time and I'll see where it goes from there.

I'm also going to see if I can apply to be a student barn supervisor. If I were hired, I'd get to live as a resident at the Equestrian Center for free (well, in exchange for work of course, but I wouldn't have to pay rent and would have the facilities right there). It'll be another couple months before I know the outcome but I think I have a good shot so I will be sure to update on how that goes when the time comes, so wish me luck, everyone!
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

PreviousNext

Return to The Den