You saw Parkour?

You saw Parkour?

Postby Bella » October 22nd, 2011, 8:40 pm

Parkour (sometimes abbreviated PK) is a method of movement focused on moving around obstacles with speed and efficiency. Originally developed in France, the main purpose of the discipline is to teach participants how to move through their environment by vaulting, rolling, running, climbing and jumping. Traceurs (parkour practitioners) train to be able to identify and utilize alternate or the more efficient paths. Parkour can be practiced anywhere, but areas dense with obstacles offer many different training opportunities.
:P
Bella

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sorry, I can't be perfect♥

Nickname(s): Bella
Pride Points: 2

Re: You saw Parkour?

Postby DGFone » October 22nd, 2011, 9:14 pm

Lol. Parkour is overrated. The reason is this: the entire thing was invented, as you say, to move more efficiently from point A to point B. Apparently, they forgot to include the third dimension here. Yes, jumping over a bench makes a straighter line than going around it, but you still have to go up and over it. And because in the vertical direction, you have to fight gravity, going around the bench ends up being much, much simpler.

Parkour is supposed to be more efficient than normal. It isn't. Therefore, for me, at least, it fails.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby WildSimba » October 22nd, 2011, 9:19 pm

[quote="DGFone"]Lol. Parkour is overrated. The reason is this: the entire thing was invented, as you say, to move more efficiently from point A to point B. Apparently, they forgot to include the third dimension here. Yes, jumping over a bench makes a straighter line than going around it, but you still have to go up and over it. And because in the vertical direction, you have to fight gravity, going around the bench ends up being much, much simpler.

Parkour is supposed to be more efficient than normal. It isn't. Therefore, for me, at least, it fails.[/quote]

You also have to take into account the ammount of energy it would take to jump over things and stuff. It'd be just so much easier in general just to go around. lol
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby FlipMode » October 22nd, 2011, 9:39 pm

[quote="DGFone"]Lol. Parkour is overrated. The reason is this: the entire thing was invented, as you say, to move more efficiently from point A to point B. Apparently, they forgot to include the third dimension here. Yes, jumping over a bench makes a straighter line than going around it, but you still have to go up and over it. And because in the vertical direction, you have to fight gravity, going around the bench ends up being much, much simpler.

Parkour is supposed to be more efficient than normal. It isn't. Therefore, for me, at least, it fails.[/quote]

To me, at least, your example fails.
What about if you had a 50 metre wide brick wall at waist height, you cant say it would be easier to go around than just hop over it.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Ultra Fox » October 23rd, 2011, 6:19 am

Parkour: The Game

Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Annie » October 26th, 2011, 10:39 am

What if you're being chased? It's a nifty thing to use then :P

R.I.P Annie, Holly, Spike, Louie, Mel, Robbie, Mr.H, Molly, Archie, Blobby and Dancer <3
Annie
Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Rawr

Pride Points: 29

Postby DGFone » October 29th, 2011, 7:41 am

[quote="FlipMode"]
To me, at least, your example fails.
What about if you had a 50 metre wide brick wall at waist height, you cant say it would be easier to go around than just hop over it.[/quote]

Then yes, you would jump over. But many minor objects, like a bench, tend to be taller than they are wide. But a parkour runner would still jump over. Why? Because it's more flashy and it is, as per Parkour's terms, a straighter line. Same with trash cans. Hop up and over.

Yes, the jumps are more flashy than the old boring round-a-go, but keep this in mind: in the vertical direction, you have to fight gravity. Even with your brick example, if there are many walls, it would in the end be more efficient to go the long way around because you don't have to jump all the time.

Minor objects like benches and trash cans? Human mentality fail. The world is in three-dimensions. Believe it or not, but going around is still the straighter line. And what do you know? No gravity fighting.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » October 29th, 2011, 10:23 am

I seriously doubt any of that is taken into consideration by anyone who practises the sport. And plus when you get good enough at it, the idea is to get from A to B faster, not in a way that "conserves your energy"
It is just about getting around in style to most, and something to practise that does not require any money either. I am sure it is more energy efficient to sit at home on our butts all day and not do anything, but it would sure as heck be boring, see where I am going with this?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Aiheu » February 2nd, 2012, 9:39 pm

My friends practice parkour, and they showed me one video, here is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YLSW1zxG2M

Enjoy it.
Spoiler: show

ImageImageImage
Image Image
Aiheu

Pride Points: 1

Postby MalibuTrashDog » February 9th, 2012, 12:23 pm

I caught someone parkouring today.

MalibuTrashDog
Daddy Atsume

The trash that collects you.

Nickname(s): Malibu, Sam
Pride Points: 100

Next

Return to The Den