Logging in/out, and cookie info

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Logging in/out, and cookie info

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 23rd, 2010, 4:10 am

So I was wondering exactly what, other than deleting my cookies, would cause a certain one of the several machines I use to login to MLK to get logged out? Does it have anything to do with IP addresses, or how long it's been since the last activity from a given machine? If someone who knows this wouldn't mind giving a run-down, that'd be great ^^

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Re: Logging in/out, and cookie info

Postby KiarasMate » May 23rd, 2010, 4:12 am

There's a time limit of inactivity before the forum signs you out automatically. I've noticed this too, although to what the exact given amount of time is, I'm not terribly certain. Probably somewhere around 1 hour of idleness, but that's just a guess.
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KM

Postby Simbaholikov » May 23rd, 2010, 4:33 am

It is 45 minutes of inactivity before you are automatically signed out :)
Simbaholikov

Postby Moka » May 23rd, 2010, 5:01 am

The phpBB session is very complicated and very secure. It almost has a mind of its own sometimes. As such, sometimes it will log you out of your session for seemingly no reason.

In a usual scenario, you should be able to stay logged into MLK if you check "automatically log me in each visit". Your session will be stored and will not expire unless you or your browser deletes your authentication cookie or I manually clear all sessions (which I have never done). phpBB checks your authentication cookie, your IP and your browser. If something doesn't look right, it will not log you in automatically.

Yes, I have it set to 45 minutes of inactivity before you're logged out unless you specify "automatically log me in each visit".
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 23rd, 2010, 5:06 am

Thanks for the info Moka! :) one last question - if I check "log me in each visit" as well as the "hide my online status this session" boxes and then login, will it hide my online status each time I'm automatically logged in, or will it show me as online when that session ends and another begins the next time I'm automatically logged in at that machine?

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby Moka » May 23rd, 2010, 5:08 am

That's a user preference, not part of the session ;) phpBB will hide your online status for as long as the option is checked.
Moka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 23rd, 2010, 5:12 am

I'm not sure if that answered my question or not, lol ^^ let me put it as a yes or no:

Let's say I login to MLK one evening, and check both boxes while doing so. My online status will be hidden that session and I'll be logged in automatically the next morning. I close my browser, and go to sleep later. The next morning, well more than 45 minutes later, I am automatically logged in when I visit the board. Will my online status still be hidden?

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby Moka » May 23rd, 2010, 5:19 am

Sorry, I misunderstood which checkbox you were referring to. There are two ways to hide your online status. One way is to permanently hide it in your UCP under board preferences. This way is what I was talking about, and your status will remain hidden for as long as that checkbox is checked. However, if you check the checkbox "Hide my online status this session" while logging in, it will hide the status for the current session, in other words it will hide your status until you login again and leave the second checkbox unchecked.

To answer your question: Yes. The session lasts through the night, and presumably forever if you are never logged out.
Moka

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 23rd, 2010, 5:31 am

Ooooooh I forgot you could do it that way, lol. Thanks for all the info :) this topic can be locked, now.

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby Moka » May 23rd, 2010, 5:35 am

If it can then it must be. :P
Moka

Return to Feedback & How-To