Spelling Corrections

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Should mods correct spelling errors in thread titles?

Yes! And grammatical errors as well!
No votes
Yeah. Those get old...
7%
Perhaps something else is in order to offer such help to the user, or simply bring the error to their attention
7%
Not sure
7%
No... Too invasive
20%
No... Wouldn't it offend the thread creator by insulting their spelling skills?
20%
No. The mods have better things to do with their time.
20%
No... Just no.
20%

Total votes : 15

Spelling Corrections

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 21st, 2010, 6:51 am

I've seen, quite often whilst browsing the forum, a lot of misspellings of names and long words in thread titles. Of course they exist in posts themselves, but right now I want to focus on the titles. Do you think it would be a good idea for mods, as a courtesy is they feel the need/desire, be allowed to edit thread titles to correct errors like this?

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Re: Spelling Corrections

Postby YFWE » May 21st, 2010, 6:58 am

I dunno, I get just as annoyed at spelling errors as anyone, but no one is perfect. Such mistakes are an intrinsic part of internet forums. The mods can do it if they want, but I don't think it's going to kill anyone if they remain. They're just spelling errors; people still know what they mean 99 percent of the time.
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Postby Moka » May 21st, 2010, 7:00 am

Although I agree with you about the numerous spelling mistakes, I believe members should have the freedom to manage their own topics. When mods start editing people's posts that aren't against the forum rules, troubles arise. It would be seen as an invasive annoyance more than a courtesy.

As for the "something else" that can help the member spell correctly, many modern browsers have built in dictionaries that check the words you type into textfields for spelling mistakes. Not IE, of course, but I know Firefox does.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby Mike » May 21st, 2010, 7:03 am

Members are perfectly entitled to spelling mistakes *shrug* I'd no sooner edit a thread title than a post.
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Spoiler: show
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 21st, 2010, 7:13 am

I guess I agree. Do you think there is anything that could be done to encourage members to check their spelling better, or should we just leave the issue be? Something tells me that no one really wants to spell-check their titles before every new thread... lol

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby FlipMode » May 21st, 2010, 7:33 am

Thread titles yes.. Posts.. not so much. Typos don't bother me though, I can hardly care for other people's typos, when 80% of my posts are filled to bursting point with them. And don't get me started on grammatical errors. I at least try to make it look tidy, but i'll be some kind of crazy to expect staff here to play grammar nazi with my posts / thread titles.

And an idea: MLK's queen / king off typos each month as an award ceremony... Though I think people would just try and win it lol.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 21st, 2010, 7:37 am

Whoooooa let's not encourage typos! :lol:

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby KiarasMate » May 21st, 2010, 9:35 am

*puts his nomination for KK away and grins innocently*

Yeah, agree with the rest of the mods. ^^ I'm pretty retentive when it comes to those kind of things, but that's just me and it's ridiculous to expect everyone to be perfect in that aspect. :) We all make mistakes every now and then...just some of us more than others. :)
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Nickname(s): KM

Postby PrincessKiara » May 21st, 2010, 9:59 am

Too invasive
Wouldn't it offend the thread creator by insulting their spelling skills?
The mods have better things to do with their time.
No... Just no.

;)
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Postby FlipMode » May 21st, 2010, 1:55 pm

[quote="PrincessKiara"]Too invasive
Wouldn't it offend the thread creator by insulting their spelling skills?
The mods have better things to do with their time.
No... Just no.

;)[/quote]

Well this coming from someone who does indeed make a lot of typing erros / speling mistakes: No they probably wouldn't get offended by it, and why not? Well for one: there's a difference between actualy mis-spelling a word because one is unsure how to spell it, then there are simple slip of the finger typos. Mine are usually the latter and I really could care less if people fancy correcting them for me.

Even if we're talking about genuine mis-spellings, anyone who gets offended by someone correcting their spelling errors must be quite insecure about it imo... And probably really hate MS word lol.
I do think the mods (probably) have better things to do but also consider that fixing spelling errors in thread titles is ,unless I mis interpret the word.. some degree of moderation, is it not?
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To