The priveledge of locking one's own topics

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

The priveledge of locking one's own topics

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 9th, 2010, 4:39 am

I understand that MLK's board currently does not allow members to lock their own topics (unless of course they are staff) - something about members abusing the priviledge. I was wondering if maybe we could have that priviledge (on a trial basis) in our dens (for those who have dens) and in the Award Ceremonies section? Just a thought... I think the rest of the board is doing just fine the way it is :lol:

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Re: The priveledge of locking one's own topics

Postby KiarasMate » May 9th, 2010, 4:47 am

lol, if you need any topic locked though, it's just as easy to PM a Staff Member to take care of it for you. ^^ If your wanting this for your photo contest Snowy, just have KK lock the threads after the nomination or voting windows have closed. ^^ Other than that, I don't see a reason for anyone outside the Staff to have this ability.
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KM

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 9th, 2010, 4:57 am

lol KM, while I did have my photo contest in mind, I was also thinking of the others who also have contests which requires new threads every round, all of which eventually must be locked. What if there's no mod online when someone wishes to close their contest?

Keep in mind, also, that I am not asking for the privilege to actually delete topics.

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby Mike » May 9th, 2010, 4:58 am

Yup, letting the Staff take care of locking threads is pretty darned tried and true ^.^ Powers like that are why staff exist. It's our job :P

As to your question Snowy, you can go ahead and wait for a mod to come online =) Doesn't take more than a few hours in 99.9% of cases =)
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Spoiler: show
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 9th, 2010, 4:59 am

I guess... Do you think people would respectfully regard a contest as 'closed' even if it isn't locked?

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby Mike » May 9th, 2010, 5:02 am

It worked for about ten months in my contest :lol: So I think the answer is yes ^.^
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Spoiler: show
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby KiarasMate » May 9th, 2010, 5:04 am

If they don't want to feel the wrath of the MLK staff, they sure as heck better. :) The contest holder always has the right to denote any entry made after the closing period of the contest too, and when it comes to voting, you can always set a date for the voting to end (although I'm not entirely sure if that still works as intended with PHPBB). ^^
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 9th, 2010, 5:07 am

Ok. Well I guess we don't need it then lol. Not to be stubborn, but even though we don't need it, do you think it might still be a good idea anyway? Would the benefits of having this priviledge in one or both of the forums I suggested, outweigh the downsides?

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby KiarasMate » May 9th, 2010, 5:10 am

Not really in my opinion. ^^ the only up side I se to it is that it saves a Staff Member 5 or so seconds out of their day, which to me, isn't a problem at all. ^^ The down side to it is that this would mean more work for poor Moka to change around the permissions, which is something I'm sure he doesn't need more of right now. lol. ^^
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Postby SnowyCheetah » May 9th, 2010, 5:16 am

Well, to change the permissions for that, I know from experience on my own phpBB board that it would take about a few minutes at the most - and would save the members from having to wait for the staff to get around to it, albeit maybe only a few hours. The downsides I was thinking of were the possibility of abuse of the priviledge... Though those with dens and those with contests in the Award Ceremonies aren't really the type of members who would abuse it...

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To