For those who are not pirmarily english [Suggestion]

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

For those who are not pirmarily english [Suggestion]

Postby FlipMode » April 28th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Well I understand the desicion to have english as the only language to be used in the Forums. But I do think that for those who are not primarily english speakers, it would be beneficial to have a seperate Forum maybe simply named "Other languages". Which itself could have sub Forums, maybe just start off with having the main european languages (French, German, Spanish, Italiain etc) and add more as necessary.

I just think that maybe sometimes alot of the registered new members, who are not very active maybe are having a hard time having to write in english. Myself I only speak english so it's not an issue on my behalf, even for those who are active here but whose first language isn't english I think it would be nice for them to have somewhere to speak their native language. Could also be good for those who would like to learn a new language too.

I know that the reason english is the only language used here is to do with acessability (unless there's some other more important reason, such as different laws in copywright and such in differen't countries). But i'm suggesting a board for non english speakers to use.

I'm also aware that it may seem contradictory to the rule, that english is the onlly language to be used here, but it states that it is in the main forums. So maybe could just add to that that all other languages are to be used in their respective sub-forums of the "Other Languages" forum

I'd like to hear anyone's opinion on this, wheter it be an agree, disagree or whatever. So what do yall think?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: For those who are not pirmarily english [Suggestion]

Postby KiarasMate » April 28th, 2010, 11:17 pm

The main issue I see with this suggestion, all be it a good one, is that it would be extremely difficult to moderate over several forums and finding staff who speak multiple languages would probably be even more difficult to come by. I think, for the most part, the majority of the members here are fine with English and I don't think there is enough of a percentage of the actual active user base for MLK to even consider making multiple forums for various languages. While I think it's a neat suggestion, I just can't justify the need for it at this time. Plus, that would be a ton more work for poor Moka and I don't think that's something he really needs more of at the moment. lol. ^^ Just my two cents on the matter though. :)
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KM

Postby YFWE » April 28th, 2010, 11:21 pm

The humor to me is the misspelling in the thread title. ^^

I think it's unnecessary. MLK is English-only and there's really never been an issue before with it. Other languages and nationalities really interest me, don't get me wrong. But what happens when this board or these threads begin to delve into fighting, bashing, suggestive material, etc. and there's no mod to do anything because no one knows, say, French? (Just as an example.) It would probably end up being more trouble than it's worth.
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Postby FlipMode » April 28th, 2010, 11:29 pm

[quote]and I don't think there is enough of a percentage of the actual active user base for MLK to even consider making multiple forums for various languages.[/quote]
That's what I though, but right now there are 937 registered users, what is not deniable is that is alot of users. It's not asif the ones who don't speak English can tell us either :D.

Gota admit though you make a good point for the rest, I didn't take how much extra work would be required into consideration, especially when it comes to finding staff for the individual languages. Ah well, thanks for the quick response KM :)

[quote]The humor to me is the misspelling in the thread title. ^^[/quote]
I always frikin' do that! For the love of all that is holy, I swear every time I make a thread regarding launguages, I make a typo in the thread title that I always manage to miss.
xD 'Tis rather ironic isn't it? I'd like to blame it on my current level of tiredness, but I think i'll just grab my coat (and dunce hat) and walk out with my dignity :)
Last edited by FlipMode on April 28th, 2010, 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby KiarasMate » April 28th, 2010, 11:33 pm

No worries my friend. ^^ Like I said, I really do think it's a good idea, just one that would be more burden than beneficial at the given time at least. ^^ Yes, there are a lot of registered users yet out of the actual active members, there's not a whole lot who seem to be limited due to the whole only English thing. ^^ It's hard to think that anyone who couldn't understand English, would actually join this forum after reading over it, but I suppose it's possible. ^^
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Nickname(s): KM

Postby WildSimba » April 28th, 2010, 11:47 pm

[quote="KiarasMate"]The main issue I see with this suggestion, all be it a good one, is that it would be extremely difficult to moderate over several forums and finding staff who speak multiple languages would probably be even more difficult to come by. I think, for the most part, the majority of the members here are fine with English and I don't think there is enough of a percentage of the actual active user base for MLK to even consider making multiple forums for various languages. While I think it's a neat suggestion, I just can't justify the need for it at this time. Plus, that would be a ton more work for poor Moka and I don't think that's something he really needs more of at the moment. lol. ^^ Just my two cents on the matter though. :)[/quote]

^ That.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby SnowyCheetah » April 29th, 2010, 12:15 am

I agree... It's not really necessary. It would be (helluva) lot of work to organize and maintain, and very few people would use it. Great idea though :) I had the same idea for my forum but, as those before me said, it's just not worth it.

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Postby Mike » April 29th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Yup, the reasons that this isn't really feasible have already been pointed out, and I'd like to add one more if I may; there are foreign language TLK forums existing all over the place if you look hard enough =)
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Spoiler: show
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby SnowyCheetah » April 29th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Very true ^^ here's a Russian one :3 http://forum.nala.ru

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Return to Feedback & How-To