Notifications About Banned Users

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Notifications About Banned Users

Postby SnowyCheetah » April 27th, 2010, 3:51 pm

I was thinking... when a user gets banned, it usually takes awhile for everyone to find out about it - and that can cause a number of problems. For example, if that user were part of an RP, the RP might get held up because people are waiting for them to post (which they never will).

I'd like to suggest/request that we have a section of the forum where whatever staff member has banned a member, posts a thread there (locked, of course, to prevent drama on the forums) just so people don't end up wondering why that user never comes around anymore.

What do you think?
Last edited by SnowyCheetah on April 27th, 2010, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Re: Notification of Banned Users

Postby SimbasMate » April 27th, 2010, 3:58 pm

This actually sounds like a good idea, but we have to think of the feelings of the banned member. What if they don't want the whole forum to know? Although it doens't matter if they are here or not, you should still think of other's feelings. Once a member gets banned, this does get out pretty fast. Though, that's just my two cents anyway.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby SnowyCheetah » April 27th, 2010, 4:07 pm

[quote="SimbasMate"]This actually sounds like a good idea, but we have to think of the feelings of the banned member. What if they don't want the whole forum to know? Although it doens't matter if they are here or not, you should still think of other's feelings. Once a member gets banned, this does get out pretty fast. Though, that's just my two cents anyway.[/quote]

I thought of that too, but to be honest I think it's their own fault. Or maybe I'm just a heartless jerk XP

Maybe we could make that part of the forum invisible to guests? Of course... they'd know it was there... but in any case I don't think we should be worrying very much about their feelings. They got themselves banned, after all, and if they read the USR and listen to the staff, they'll have plenty of warning before actually getting banned. It does take a lot of bad behavior to get banned here.

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Postby Mike » April 27th, 2010, 4:47 pm

Banning and warnings is something that deserves to be kept strictly between the staff and the member. It doesn't affect enough people to be worth parading around. In the past the forum has had no trouble adjusting to the loss of banned members, and I think we can keep things the way they are, no Wall of Shame needed.
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Spoiler: show
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Re: Notifications About Banned Users

Postby WildSimba » April 27th, 2010, 9:35 pm

I honestly think it would be a bad thing to do.

For one thing, a ban is a very private matter. As is a warning. Imagine if you were banned, and an admin posted about you being banned from the forum. Then members start to make memes off the ban, and other insulting things. Wouldn't you feel horrible? The same thing would go for a warning, if they were to post the ban, they'd have to post warnings to, because it's not fair to keep some trouble makers out of the ordeal.

Plus, don't you think it would look bad on the forum, if an admin posted an insulting thread, such as that one on the forum? Sure, guests might now be able to see it if it's invisable. But members of the board could tell their friends... the word could still get out quick that no one should join this forum, because of it's poor choices. Some forums do it... but if you see, none of them have turned out very good.

So all in all, I think you suggested this with the best intentions. But I don't think it would work out in the end. That's just my 2 cents, though.

BTW, losing your post in quick reply because you clicked the wrong button FTW.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby KiarasMate » April 27th, 2010, 9:45 pm

My feelings on this matter are pretty much exactly what Mike stated, so I need not say much more than that. Even with as much Confidentiality as the MLK Staff uses when dealing with these matters, it seems like the news about banned members spreads like a wildfire through the MLK Community regardless though. >.> Guess that's just cause MLK is that awesome when it comes to gossip. <.<
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Nickname(s): KM

Postby thanigraphics » April 28th, 2010, 1:22 pm

I agree with Mike too. It's a private thing, and when the user returns if possible, you can always ask the person him/herself.
verliezer in een ongelijk gevecht....
ImageImageImage
vote for my site: go to http://www.leeuwenkoning.webs.com and click the voting button at the bottom of the page
thanigraphics

uh-oh, banana time!

Pride Points: 1

Postby MWIN » April 28th, 2010, 1:31 pm

How about, if you are banned and you are part of an important R.P or people are expecting your participation somewhere, kindly send an email or message telling the people involved you will be unable to further partake in their activity.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 700 character limit.
MWIN

Lions are edible.

Nickname(s): Atecom, Lies and Deception, No
Pride Points: 0

Postby Panda-chan » April 28th, 2010, 9:00 pm

[quote="KiarasMate"]My feelings on this matter are pretty much exactly what Mike stated, so I need not say much more than that. Even with as much Confidentiality as the MLK Staff uses when dealing with these matters, it seems like the news about banned members spreads like a wildfire through the MLK Community regardless though. >.> Guess that's just cause MLK is that awesome when it comes to gossip. <.<[/quote]
lol so true. HMM YEAH I LIKE MEAT xD

And if the banned member feels the need to let other people know what happened, they can MSN or skype the members they think should know. Otherwise, they can choose to leave without a trace. It's their choice, actually, since the staff will keep silent about it regardless. :P
D̵̢̨̧̛͔̖͍̝̤̫̼̝̬̤̪̟͇͙̊̏̎͛̇̏͊͌̃̂̈́͂̒̄̅̚̚͘͝R̸̥̙͂̀̾̑̊̀̉́̀́̐̄̊̿̈́̄͑̐̕͝I̴̗̯̼̳͉͕̺̤̖̝̪̫̊͛͝͠Ǹ̵̨̧͈̮̦̖̝͈̥̗͕̭͉̺̲͕̥͔͎̹͖͙͇̲̘̩̞͓̦̦̯̮̙̜̼̝͈̣̺̰̺̟̙̫̫ͅK̶̢̢̡̧̢̛̻͎̘͉̦͚̳̗̱̗̮̫̲͎̟͚͖̠̣̺͎̠̤͈̩̞͈͚̣̳̟̣̓͊͊̍̀̇͆́͐̔̔̅̿̅̋̈̈́̔̈̒̌̆̃̇͗̂̐̽́͊̋͗̚̕͘͜͜͠͝͝ ̴̧̧̢̧̧̢̛̦̗̦̭͔̝͎̘͍͚͈̰̦̲͍̥͚̱͓̦̙̞̱̜̹̍̉́̿̃͆̆̾̀̍̊͛̈́̽̈́̀̋̒̾͗͗͂̾̊̇̃̈́̋́̓̄̂̐͊͂̏̿̅͂̚͘̚͜͠͝͠ͅͅͅͅW̵̢̧̨̥͇̳̩͍̪̓̉͊̓̏͜͠Ã̵̧̨͍͚̭̱̦̯̣͓̱̫͑͋̋̾̎͑̽̔̒͆̉͒͑͆̎͑̑̒͋̑̀̒̿͑̄͋̒͆̑͆̔̈̈́͂͆̾̾̌̃̏̊̓͘͜͝͠͠T̸̨̧̛̮̙̰͇̹̭̥̙̝̱̼̥͖̟̃̔̑̒̓̈́͂̈́̂̓̂̎̋͊̌͋̂͂̃̂͝͠͠͝ͅĘ̴̧̡̢̧̡̠͉͉͕̤̳̘̖̙̭͙͕̻͍̖̗͙̯͈͔͋̄̾̄͛͌͌͒͛̇̎͋̉̈́̆̈́̍̎̆̒͑̒̅̋̊̄̈̿͒̈̋̾̊́̔̚͝͠͝͠ͅŖ̸̠̫͓̞͈̫̉̂
Panda-chan

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

STAY HYDRATED, FOLKS

Nickname(s): Weeb trash
Telegram: 6834232905344686445634231897968563522324236894284563523722616678
Pride Points: 108

Postby SnowyCheetah » April 28th, 2010, 9:26 pm

Although I'm not into hurting others' feelings, I'm not very concerned about the feelings of those who were misbehaving to such an extent that the staff felt it necessary to rid the forum of them. It's their own fault, and if one wants to behave in such a way that they're allowed to stay, it's really not difficult at all.

The thing about banned members telling the other RP'ers (if they were part of an RP) is a tough issue. If a banned member didn't already have contact info for the other RP'ers (for example, Amadeus, who chooses not to use anything other than PM to communicate with us) they may very well end up with no way to tell the other RP'ers that they won't be able to post anymore. After all, without a functional account, access to member profile information (such as email) is impossible.

SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To