About the Award-system..

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Would You Like To See This Implemented?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes : 21

Re: About the Award-system..

Postby YFWE » January 3rd, 2010, 7:34 am

My vote was no as well; I really do believe the system is fine as is. I think we're looking for the best of the best here, and I think that if you give as much recognition to 2nd and 3rd place, it kinda takes away from the prestige of winning. Besides, if you REALLY want to know who got 2nd and 3rd place, it's right there in the results for all to see. I don't know about y'all, but if I were trying to win the Fanfic contest for instance, I'd be striving for 1st place, not 2nd or 3rd. So I don't think giving 2nd and 3rd place all this recognition would really make tons of people want to enter. And besides, with what was mentioned about calling 1st place expert, 2nd place medium, etc., that DEFINITELY doesn't sound good, because what if all three were at the same level and it was just luck of the draw as to who won? If, say, KM, Moka, and KK were up for this distinction and KM finished third... surely he is not a 'beginner' writer, is he? And if you meant dividing them up so that only certain people would be eligible for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... well, I figure that's not what you meant, but if you did, that just wouldn't be right either.

I appreciate your concern and I'm sure everyone else does too. But I think this is the system that is going to be stuck with. This isn't a world where we need to make everyone feel good by recognizing them for their efforts... this was just a fun little thing to do to recognize certain members of this forum for exceptional contributions to their given fields of expertise. KM has done a fantastic job in both fields so far and we shouldn't be upset that he won... because if anyone is, shoot, just work harder then! If we changed this system to include other places, or changed it AT ALL for that matter, I think the award would lose its luster. And besides, it's not really a big deal... it's just a little award, just a little recognition. It's not even necessary... I know I for one don't need any award, that's not what motivates me to write at all (not saying that anyone else is necessarily like that, of course). It's just an award... people say their congratulations, their words of praise, and within a week everyone's moved on.

There's always going to be people 'in the dark' with these awards. It happens. But please, let's not compromise and give other people their share. This is for the best of the best, and I'd love to keep it that way. Not a slight on anyone else, but I would love for these awards to retain their luster. I think that in the long run, it will cause people to work harder.
YFWE
Begger, stealer, borrower

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Svanire

Pride Points: 29

Postby CheetahCat » January 3rd, 2010, 8:18 am

I voted no as well.

The whole point for MLK's Awards program is to distinguish members from the best of the best from each respective category. If we're going to implement a 2nd or 3rd align within the system, it'll most likely make members not wanting to participate in the fun and what YFWE stated, the results are clearly there. With the whole, 'Expert', 'Beginner' etc idea, that wouldn't be much of a good idea either if you meant that if someone who is proficient in their respective expertise places 3rd place, they clearly aren't a beginner now are they? If you meant the other idea however, it still wouldn't be a good idea in my honest opinion. Besides, this is a small recognition for members who clearly deserve this award and showed a lot of effort in their work. Everyone on here is going to strive for 1st place anyway and I don't think everyone on here wouldn't want to be placed 2nd or 3rd. If I wanted to win one of these little awards, I'll strive for first place. In my eyes, the system is fine how it is for now and I don't think it needs any adjustments whatsoever at the moment.

Everyone who contributes to the forum in one of these categories is going to eventually win at some point. If you haven't won an award recently, don't be bothered that you lost to someone else, just try harder and contribute more to MLK. It's just a little award to recongize certain users with exceptional skills, it's nothing special really. If we altered the system to allow more winners, this system will lose its brilliancy pretty fast. To me, it should remain how it is. The best of the best is indispensable and should remain that way.

We all appreciate your concern on the matter, but altering something that's already been visioned wouldn't be a great idea, especially early on. There will always be some flaw in a voting system and to be honest, most of us cannot fix that. So let's just have the MLK Award System retain its brilliancy between the best of the best.
CheetahCat
Tea Guzzler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Meow.

Nickname(s): TeenSimba, Si, TS
Pride Points: 9

Postby KiarasMate » January 3rd, 2010, 8:22 am

Well put YFWE. ^^ I couldn't agree more. :) And on top of that, if there was a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, we'd definitely exhaust our list of members quicker than need be, especially when it comes to the AMV Category, as there's not a whole lot of AMV Makers here on MLK, or at least, not enough to sustain that type of award system. ^^ I truly think this is the best way to do things and even if I was kicked out of the running for the rest of my time being here on MLK after winning once, that'd be fine by me. Like I said, these awards are nice, but they don't define who I am. :) I'll always be humble and never the type to gloat about anything. lol, at least nothing that pertains to myself that is. ^^
KiarasMate
Legendary Lion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KM

Postby LadyAnette » January 3rd, 2010, 10:08 am

It seems as if I am the only one who would vote yes.

The likely chances of winning are 1-10. Being the best of the best sometimes puts other people out in the fact that is seems that they aren't good at the certain subject. If NOBODY even votes for the person, they might feel like a complete loser of the whole game. But I have to disagree with one thing, I don't think that having the best medium and begginer is such a good idea. I would much rather prefer 1st the highest voted 2nd the next top rated then 3rd the third. I'm not saying that I entirely like the idea, but that others might be affected by the whole best of best competition. And others are just plain good and win every time. But, I have noticed in the previous posts that if they elected two times they can't do it any more. I still think that the original system is granted, not the best, and neither is this one, but I think that this one is better. More as lending to the fact of the actual voters/submitters. And another thing, is that some people may bring in their submissions then everyone else will think that their's is awesome, making them an easy winner.

I just wanted to voice my opinion. I'm just thinking of the voters/submitters as I previously said. I do like this idea better. :)
LadyAnette

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 1

Postby Polkadot » January 3rd, 2010, 1:21 pm

I think the current award system encourages Beginners to develop their skills so they can create Pro-like pieces. :)
Polkadot

"before sunrise, he's your son".

Postby SnowyCheetah » January 3rd, 2010, 1:23 pm

I take it this is about the RP awards?

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Postby Mike » January 3rd, 2010, 5:41 pm

It's about the MLK awards in general

I have to go with the popular consensus here lol, reading through the thread I've found people voting no that have expressed my ideas better than I probably could, including the fact that voting is flawed no matter how many awards we give out, the contest is supposed to be for the best of the best, and there already is a sound system in place to prevent any one person from walking away with all the awards. Also, no matter how many awards we give out, not everyone in the forum will get a vote or a prize. There's no shame in that, it just means that they're not considered to be the top of the category, which is a very high-competition area.
I host MLK Fan Artist of the Week in the Fan Art section
For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.
Spoiler: show
Thanks to Jaynr for the avatar
Thanks to Simba for the TLK signature
Mike

King of Pride Rock

Nickname(s): Michael Freeman, Mikeyboy69, Sid

Postby Dutch » January 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm

[quote="Mike"]Also, no matter how many awards we give out, not everyone in the forum will get a vote or a prize. There's no shame in that, it just means that they're not considered to be the top of the category, which is a very high-competition area.[/quote]

Mike speaks the truth here.
Dutch

I'm Rockandi

Postby SnowyCheetah » January 4th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Although I am not a fan of the apparent cliques of advanced members here at MLK, I'm gonna have to go with not changing the award systems, since I have always been of the opinion that if you don't get a prize, you shouldn't be sad about that ;)

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Previous

Return to Feedback & How-To