Auto lock on old threads?

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Auto lock on old threads?

Postby FlipMode » May 2nd, 2016, 9:50 pm

Hey I wandered if there was a way to get threads to auto lock if they haven't been posted in for an amount of time (maybe a year or six months?)
I'm noticing new members lately randomly bumping threads that have died well over a year ago.
I am sure we used to have something like this...

I mean it doesn't really bother me but it's got to be confusing for new members to post in a thread where the thread creator hasn't even been on the forum in almost a year. I mean especially if it's like a Q and A thread or someone saying happy new year 2013 when it is 2016... :roll:
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: Auto lock on old threads?

Postby Ninaroja » May 2nd, 2016, 10:05 pm

The "happy new year 2013" was a spambot, which was dealt with.

I know a forum I used to go on had an autolock on it if a thread was bumped, but sometimes a bumped thread has been revitalised, so I'm not sure if we should implicate one here.
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Buffy » May 2nd, 2016, 11:51 pm

6 months I think would be too soon if we did have auto locks. Maybe 1 year? All I know is I sometimes don't answer my Q&A thread for months on end haha!
Buffy
once i present, but then

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Postby Simbaholikov » May 3rd, 2016, 12:32 am

Pretty sure we had this before and it was removed because it was annoying people who legitimately wanted to revive older topics.
Plus I don't really see the point of auto locking old topics just because a new member bumps an old topic once every few years, it's not exactly common. Not to mention most of the time it's a legitimate post.
Simbaholikov

Postby SimbasMate » May 3rd, 2016, 1:28 am

I think this would be good. Since new members have been joining more and posting lately, some of them have been grave digging old threads. I agree with putting auto-lock on until after a year has passed. Makes more sense and also we will be able to view the active topics more easily.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby Tora » May 3rd, 2016, 1:34 am

Ehh I think it would just be detriment to the forum as whole. Sure some threads are dead, but why is it such a big deal to see a thread pop back up. Especially if the post is relevant to the thread. Sometimes new life can be brought into a dead thread by just one post. I think that should trump the idea that an old thread should remain dead.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby Regulus » May 3rd, 2016, 4:41 am

I vote nay on this. Just my two cents.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby FlipMode » May 3rd, 2016, 7:29 am

Yep on listening to feedback, I've realised why this would suck. If someone wanted to update an old fanfic or RP or graphics thread or any of those kinds of things this could be bad.
Also it would encourage more duplicate threads if someone wanted to make a new point.
But @Tora: because sometimes the post that bumps an old thread is not relevant. I saw someone bump Adofo's Ask Me thread yesterday, dude has been banned for ages lol.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby Tora » May 3rd, 2016, 6:16 pm

Well yeah Flip, but those are special cases and can be easily delt with. ;)
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby Tsuki » May 4th, 2016, 7:23 pm

I don't see much point tbh :/. Sometimes it's nice to see old posts pop up now and again and someone's views on a topic may have changed from when they first posted.
[center]Image
Awards and Stuff: show
ImageImage
Shared with Rilliane
Sigs by Shadowfax, Nilla, Julie, Simba's Mate, Sophiecub, Tora, Flip and Buffy <333. Avatar by Kay <3
Tsuki

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 88

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To