Debating, Discussing and whats the difference?

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Debating, Discussing and whats the difference?

Postby Woeler » June 18th, 2012, 8:34 pm

Ok so I personally have run into a problem. We have a section called ''World Issues'' Where everything is being posted that is discussable/debatable.

I think there might be some problem with this because there clearly is a difference between Debating and Discussing.

Discussing: This is where you give your views and arguments for it and discus it. This is not meant for proving each other wrong.

Debating: This is where you try and counter other people their arguments.

I see a lot of topics getting replies in which people do debate, but there are many people in there and it gets all messed up and confusing. Also there are people who do not want to get into a debate and just post their views. Then there is this issue when there is a debate and two or three people start arguing about one little side-topic within the actual topic (e.g. the Iran thing in the Election thread)

Wouldn't it be more easy if we had a subsection in the den called debates and then have two subsections: Private debates and Public debates. The world issues will just be a discussion forum.

Advantages:

People won't get confused
Side issues can be taken to the private debating forum
People who don't want to debate don't get to debate or get involved
Resolve the ''drama and locking topics'' issue that has been going on for some time (which personally annoys me a lot)

Just a thought, I think it might organize things a bit better.

[quote="FlipMode"]What about a debating society user group with its own part of the forum? o.o[/quote]
Last edited by Woeler on June 18th, 2012, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Re: Debating, Discussing and whats the difference?

Postby Tora » June 18th, 2012, 8:38 pm

I agree I think there needs to be a place for debate other than a PM.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby FlipMode » June 18th, 2012, 8:40 pm

What about a debating society user group with its own part of the forum? o.o
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Woeler » June 18th, 2012, 8:42 pm

[quote="FlipMode"]What about a debating society user group with its own part of the forum? o.o[/quote]
Added, good idea!
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FlipMode » June 18th, 2012, 8:47 pm

To expand a bit on that actually, by "debating" I mean anything that is an opinionated discussion on an important matter, I know that could be classed as any thread but use your common sense; it would be for thing that are relatable to topics such as politics, religion and race, ethics, culture, science ( since it links to religion a lot) that kind of thing, basically any mature and / or deep subject.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby TheLionPrince » June 18th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Even though I may disagree with your political views, Woeler, I agree that debates and discussions are quite different, and need to be separated on this forum.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Moka » June 18th, 2012, 10:40 pm

Before we get too riled up about this, I would like to remind everyone that this is a Lion King forum, not an all-purpose forum. There are forums out there more suited for handling debates over controversial topics such as politics and religion.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/forum.php
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/

What the World Issues forum exists for is discussing current world events, not debating. It says so in the forum description.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » June 18th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Ah okay that makes sense :)
I do think the description could be re written to make that clearer though. And I get what you are saying; I mean if the kind of thought that goes into the debates in the OT section; if all that time and energy was put into the TLK sections they would be back to their former glory. I think amongst all the dramas and stuff we all forgot why we joined in the first place :D
FlipMode

Postby Woeler » July 11th, 2012, 8:24 pm

is this off the table just because "this is a lion king forum"? Still seems like a good idea to me..
I mean, even minecraft has its own section now so this is not at all a ridiculous idea.
Woeler

Postby FlipMode » July 11th, 2012, 8:46 pm

'craft is playing a game with fellow members co operatively; debating is openly inviting those same people to argue with you... I know which one of those sounds more appropriate to me.
We have debates in the world issues forum as it is; even though moka already said not to lol
FlipMode

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To