Banning

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: Banning

Postby Arani » April 9th, 2012, 6:12 am

And really, why would you make something like that public for EVERYONE to see? It's personal and not everyone needs to just know about it. Now maybe if the person was perm. banned it would be a different story, but I still think that it will only cause more drama. It'll probably flame up to "Why was this person banned?!" "They did nothing wrong!" "They don't deserve to be banned!" It'll only spark up arguments. And God knows that we don't need any more drama. I think just notifying the members the banned person wants to be notified would be the best idea.
Arani

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 56

Postby Noah » April 9th, 2012, 7:31 am

^This

I don't understand why members can't notify the people they want on MSN or Skype. If you don't have them on MSN or Skype, then you probably don't need to tell them you got yourself banned from MLK.
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Woeler » April 9th, 2012, 8:25 am

[quote="Moka"]Well, we considered this, but in the end we didn't want to reveal something like that. We thought it was unfair to the banned member to have their wrongdoings and punishment announced to the entire forum.

We can have a vote on it, if you wish, though. ^_^[/quote]
Isn't it possible to add a question somewhere in the UCP that sais "notify members when I get banned" maybe you can add a list of users who will get an automatic PM?

Don't know if it is possible but it would make everyone happy.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby Regulus » April 9th, 2012, 8:54 am

You know, without going too far off topic, I think maybe we should hold off on the banning just a little bit. That's kinda why there's all this drama to begin with. I understand that rules need to be enforced, but how does banning someone for a week do anything, except for create tension?

I've never seen so many people banned (although, only temporarily) in such a short amount of time on a forum before. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but from what I've seen, this kind of stuff generally doesn't happen on other communities. It does make it look a bit suspicious.

I'm not saying nobody should ever be banned, but if enough people are getting banned to create a thread like this, I think that's a sign that maybe it's going a bit too far. Just food for thought.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby BeautifulQueenNala » April 9th, 2012, 9:10 am

I think it's a good idea to notify people especially when someone is permabanned. Or at least have a vote on it.
BeautifulQueenNala
Queen of the Pridelands

I'm the brains of the pair.

Nickname(s): Kat, Katniss, Catnip, Kitty Kat
Pride Points: 4

Postby Noah » April 9th, 2012, 9:16 am

^Voting isn't that reliable tbh
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby Ozy » April 9th, 2012, 9:25 am

[quote="Woeler1"][quote="Moka"]Well, we considered this, but in the end we didn't want to reveal something like that. We thought it was unfair to the banned member to have their wrongdoings and punishment announced to the entire forum.

We can have a vote on it, if you wish, though. ^_^[/quote]
Isn't it possible to add a question somewhere in the UCP that sais "notify members when I get banned" maybe you can add a list of users who will get an automatic PM?

Don't know if it is possible but it would make everyone happy.[/quote]

^ this

http://artofkellyjohnson.storenvy.com/
Instagram @artofkellyjohnson
Ozy
Ya like jazz?

I need you to let me touch it

Nickname(s): KJ
Pride Points: 26

Postby Moka » April 9th, 2012, 9:30 am

I already said I'm not gonna add functionality to the board that PM's other members when someone is banned. Anyone in the user list they specify can just as easily be notified via IM or email This is silly.
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » April 9th, 2012, 11:05 am

[quote="Noah"]
I don't understand why members can't notify the people they want on MSN or Skype. If you don't have them on MSN or Skype, then you probably don't need to tell them you got yourself banned from MLK.[/quote]

Not necessarily true, I do in fact have Az on my MSN friend thing, but he seldom signs in to it, as in I have had him as a contact on there for like a year and actually caught him online so few times that I can count them on one hand, and quite frankly, sometime I do not even sign into it either these days.

I find it more funny that people getting banned is so common on here that Az even needed to make this thread in the first place, to be perfectly honest. And yes I would like to know why DGFone was banned, but at the same time I respect his privacy if he would not want people to know.

So it comes down to as simple as this; just let people decide IF they want their banning shared in the event that it does happen.

Here is what I think you could do. Make a thread in the... Announcement section perhaps? Call it "Ban List".
Have a new field within profiles that is simply a yes or no option that just says "In the even of being banned, the staff may disclose my ban in the banned members thread." (Along those lines) BY DEFAULT it should be set to no, then if someone is banned and has set it to yes, one of the staff members updates the list to include that person.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby LionsAreKings » April 9th, 2012, 11:12 am

[quote="FlipMode"][quote="Noah"]
I don't understand why members can't notify the people they want on MSN or Skype. If you don't have them on MSN or Skype, then you probably don't need to tell them you got yourself banned from MLK.[/quote]

Not necessarily true, I do in fact have Az on my MSN friend thing, but he seldom signs in to it, as in I have had him as a contact on there for like a year and actually caught him online so few times that I can count them on one hand, and quite frankly, sometime I do not even sign into it either these days.

I find it more funny that people getting banned is so common on here that Az even needed to make this thread in the first place, to be perfectly honest. And yes I would like to know why DGFone was banned, but at the same time I respect his privacy if he would not want people to know.

So it comes down to as simple as this; just let people decide IF they want their banning shared in the event that it does happen.

Here is what I think you could do. Make a thread in the... Announcement section perhaps? Call it "Ban List".
Have a new field within profiles that is simply a yes or no option that just says "In the even of being banned, the staff may disclose my ban in the banned members thread." (Along those lines) BY DEFAULT it should be set to no, then if someone is banned and has set it to yes, one of the staff members updates the list to include that person.
[/quote]

^THIS
Try listening to their music and getting rid of your "filters"
LionsAreKings
The Irregular

Nickname(s): Josh, LAK, LRK
Pride Points: 33

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To