Banning

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Re: Banning

Postby cleargreenwater » April 9th, 2012, 1:13 pm

FWIW, another (non-tlk) board I'm on changes a person's user title to read Banned (or "Banned Until" might be a tweak,) when they're banned.

I'm not saying it's an ideal solution for here, but it may be a simpler option to toss around than a notification list--on the one hand it avoids a public pillory (or notoriety) thread like a list could become, but at the same time, if someone is involved enough in a conversation that they notice they haven't gotten a reply when they're waiting on one, they can go back to the thread they were talking in and see under the poster's name that something changed about their status.

Because I sincerely doubt many people join a messageboard thinking they are going to be banned in order to fill a profile field out :P

(The only thing with the other board is that the word "Banned" is marked as censored for use by anyone other than Mods so members can't arbitrarily put it as their user title.)
-------------------------------------

The Event that BROKE MLK...

Avatar artwork of my character by NQN, commissioned & used with permission.
TLKFAA account: http://fanart.lionking.org/Artists/ClearGreenWater/?+
cleargreenwater
Submersible Hyena

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

...Surfaces Occassionally.

Nickname(s): CGW
Pride Points: 39

Postby LionsAreKings » April 9th, 2012, 1:21 pm

[quote="cleargreenwater"]FWIW, another (non-tlk) board I'm on changes a person's user title to read Banned (or "Banned Until" might be a tweak,) when they're banned.[/quote]

^DOUBLE THIS.
Try listening to their music and getting rid of your "filters"
LionsAreKings
The Irregular

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Josh, LAK, LRK
Pride Points: 33

Postby SophieCub » April 9th, 2012, 1:30 pm

[quote="LionsAreKings"][quote="cleargreenwater"]FWIW, another (non-tlk) board I'm on changes a person's user title to read Banned (or "Banned Until" might be a tweak,) when they're banned.[/quote]

^DOUBLE THIS.[/quote]

^ Triple this. I've seen this get done on another forum I used to be on. I like the idea.
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby FlipMode » April 9th, 2012, 1:31 pm

Whatever's good, though I think that if it would do that, it would still be worth having a list for a quick reference. Most sites its probably not an issue, but the warnings are dished out thick and fast on here though of course that is not the staff's fault, its ours. Nonetheless, we have a list for name changes even though those are in the profiles so why not for those naughty people who end up banned?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Noah » April 9th, 2012, 1:37 pm

[quote="cleargreenwater"]FWIW, another (non-tlk) board I'm on changes a person's user title to read Banned (or "Banned Until" might be a tweak,) when they're banned.[/quote]

and that won't cause drama at all :roll:
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby LionsAreKings » April 9th, 2012, 1:42 pm

[quote="Noah"][quote="cleargreenwater"]FWIW, another (non-tlk) board I'm on changes a person's user title to read Banned (or "Banned Until" might be a tweak,) when they're banned.[/quote]

and that won't cause drama at all :roll:[/quote]

Of course not! ;) Everything causes drama, people just need to learn to deal with it.
Try listening to their music and getting rid of your "filters"
LionsAreKings
The Irregular

Nickname(s): Josh, LAK, LRK
Pride Points: 33

Postby FlipMode » April 9th, 2012, 1:46 pm

[quote="Noah"][quote="cleargreenwater"]FWIW, another (non-tlk) board I'm on changes a person's user title to read Banned (or "Banned Until" might be a tweak,) when they're banned.[/quote]

and that won't cause drama at all :roll:[/quote]

Its sarcy replies like that, that cause drama.
FlipMode

Postby Noah » April 9th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Just think about it tho, what if every member knew DGFone was banned? Utter chaos and crapstorm. Nevermind the fact that both admins and all the mods signed off on it before he was given another warning -.-

BAWWWW YOU CANT BAN HIM. YOU GUISE ARE NAZIS. YOU ARE WRONG AND ABUSING UR POWERS
Siggy by Me

accolades: show

birthday siggy by regulus: show
Noah

Only the lonely can play

Nickname(s): Nahaai

Postby FlipMode » April 9th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Nope. I find it more annoying that I only just found out by reading it in a post somewhere than I would have by going to see an updated list and finding out that way.
Also, I do not think you guys are abusing your powers whatsoever. If he was banned, he obviously deserved it, just as I and anyone else deserves theirs, so hey how about you do not generalise the entire forum based on a few cry babies?
FlipMode

Postby Azdgari » April 9th, 2012, 2:48 pm

[quote="Moka"]Well, we considered this, but in the end we didn't want to reveal something like that. We thought it was unfair to the banned member to have their wrongdoings and punishment announced to the entire forum.

We can have a vote on it, if you wish, though. ^_^[/quote]
I think that sounds dangerously sensible, Moka. While I appreciate your thought for their privacy, whatever the members did was (most likely) posted in public, so it's a stretch to worry too much about them being embarrassed. In retrospect, I probably should have PM'd you and avoided the unnecessary three pages of aimless drama, but that's life.

As a side note:

[quote="Noah"]Just think about it tho, what if every member knew DGFone was banned? Utter chaos and crapstorm. Nevermind the fact that both admins and all the mods signed off on it before he was given another warning -.-

BAWWWW YOU CANT BAN HIM. YOU GUISE ARE NAZIS. YOU ARE WRONG AND ABUSING UR POWERS[/quote]
???
So staff shouldn't tell members anything in case it might offend them? =P
Guess the Member with Kitva Hyperlink: show
"Hates me
Nothing but facts
Male"

"...Woeler?"

"ya"
Azdgari
big, wide turns

Pride Points: 114

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback & How-To