Quote notification

Hi! Welcome to the Feedback forum.
Before reading anything or asking anything; please check out the FAQs. Your question might be in there. However if you want a better understanding after reading the FAQs, like if it didn't explain it good enough, then by all means ask your question.

Please read the following before posting in this forum...

In this forum you will see an Announcement, and several "sticky" topics. The announcement is the Universal Board Rules. If you are new, read this before doing anything else! The sticky topics will stay above and separated from normal user-made topics in the forum. This is because they outline important information about the board. If you see a sticky topic concerning your issue, please reply with your question or concern in the correct topic. Moderators will see your reply within these topics. Before asking your question, be sure to read the topic and its first page especially. It contains information about your issue that is valuable and may even answer your questions. If the topic does not answer your question, ask your question within the topic, not the forum. If no sticky topic concerns your issue, then you are welcome to ask your own questions by creating a new topic within the forum.

Thank you for keeping the Board Help forum organized!

Quote notification

Postby Ananda » May 26th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Is there a way of getting some sort of a notification when someone quotes a post I made? Some forums have that options, I don't know if this one does have it or not.
Ananda

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 0

Re: Quote notification

Postby Regulus » May 26th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Not that I know of.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Ananda » May 26th, 2013, 2:16 pm

[quote="Regulus"]Not that I know of.[/quote]

Can the admins enable or set up that option?
Ananda

Postby Regulus » May 26th, 2013, 2:18 pm

There's an option to "Notify me upon replies by default" in the user control panel, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not.

I think that function works for any replies to a topic.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby Ananda » May 26th, 2013, 2:26 pm

No. It's not really the same thing.
Ananda

Postby Regulus » May 26th, 2013, 2:32 pm

I don't know then.

My guess is that it would be rather difficult to set it up, because the quote is just text formatting in a post. Basically, when you click the quote button, all it does is copy the text of the post, and puts it between quote tags like this.

[quote="username"] text [/quote]

Unless the code searched for exactly that in every post, it wouldn't always work.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, it's just unlikely.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby Ananda » May 26th, 2013, 5:08 pm

It is possible on other forums but they probably don't use this forum's software.
Ananda

Postby Arbystrider » May 27th, 2013, 7:07 am

I browse quite a number of forums and whenever I feel like looking if someone's quoted something I've said, I go and search my name, "Arbystrider", using the forum search function.

Works wonders.
ImageImageImage
Arbystrider
A semi-Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The peace the evening brings.

Nickname(s): Arby
Pride Points: 15

Postby Ananda » May 27th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Some new IPBoard forums allow that function.
Ananda

Postby Moka » May 27th, 2013, 9:47 pm

Sorry, phpBB does not have this feature. There is a MOD out there that provides this functionality: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/who_quoted_me/

Why don't you start a poll or something to see who is interested in getting this added to the forum?
Moka
:D

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 138

Next

Return to Feedback & How-To