What do you prefer reading from?

Books
100%
E-Books
No votes

Total votes : 7

Books or E-Books?

Postby Lauren » September 2nd, 2014, 12:55 am

Since E-Books have gotten popular over the past several years, some readers prefer reading from their device while others read straight from real books. What do you like to use when you read?

I'm more of a reader who likes having the physical book in my hands. I do like E-Books because they're cool and they can provide things/options for you when using them, but I don't like having my eyes strained on the screen for so long when I'm reading a page or a line. I used to have a Nook Color and received it for my 16th birthday, but after a while, I missed reading from actual books and I allowed my dad to sell it online for me. Since then, my bookshelves have gotten bigger and filled up. Personally, it's not the same for me whenever I'm reading from an E-Book compared to the real book. :)
Last edited by Lauren on September 2nd, 2014, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Books or E-Books?

Postby Buffy » September 2nd, 2014, 1:50 am

I definitely prefer physical books. I just love the feel of a book in my hands, the smell of the pages and the fact that I can display it on my bookshelf. I honestly have never had an e-reader, but I just know it is not for me. I can see how it is handy and serves very well for some purposes (like travelling), but I just love physical books too much to get an e-reader.
Buffy
once i present, but then

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Postby TheLionPrince » September 2nd, 2014, 4:57 pm

Personally, I have never used an e-Book (like Amazon Kindle), though from the advertisements of it, I can see how it is used. However, I prefer reading from physical books because I love the smell of the pages, feel the weight of the book in my hands, and they're easily transportable. The few downsides are that they can be easily damaged through water or fire, and if you're not careful, you can get a paper cut. Plus, many e-Books require Wi-Fi for you to buy and read the content, and in some places, the Wi-Fi signal is not usually strong. Not to mention, e-Books need to be powered by batteries. So, my favor tips toward physical books.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby InsaneSeagull » September 2nd, 2014, 5:49 pm

Personally, I don't hate e-books. I've actually read many stuff that way (either on computer or on my mobile phone), and I plan to get a tablet mainly for that purpose.

But, physical books I'm wayy much fond of. I love to snfif books, and I can't do that with e-books. I love to see the pages and book in the whole, love the feeling of holding it and rotating pages. Plus, physical books are amazing to just look at;)
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby Buffy » September 3rd, 2014, 1:53 am

Another reason I love physical books which I forgot to mention in my previous post, is that half the time I'm reading I want to escape technology. An e-book wouldn't really help in that sense.
Buffy
once i present, but then

everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

Pride Points: 180

Postby FlipMode » September 8th, 2014, 2:04 am

Books.
E books are like books for people who don't like their eyes.
Nah, I do like reading them in bed when it's dark but otherwise physical book every time. I like having a collection of lovely cover arts and stuff.

Audio books though...
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Postby Carl » September 10th, 2014, 3:59 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]Plus, many e-Books require Wi-Fi for you to buy and read the content,[/quote]
To buy the content, yes, where else would you get it than online? To read it, no. Most do not. I can and have read many e-books in places that lack even the vaguest hint of internet access, and have never encountered one (or any e-reader) that required wi-fi to read the book.

That said, I like both physical books and e-books, and use them both when it is fitting. For example, when I'm at home, I will usually read from an actual book (provided I have or can find the one I want to read in a library), and I prefer to do this, for nostalgia, the book smell, and the feel of it. Turning on a lamp and reading a book before bed is really a nice thing that is not comparable to anything else. On the other hand, at home I rarely have time to read, and most often get a chance during long car rides or breaks between classes at uni. Carrying around novels at all times when I so rarely get to read is completely and totally impractical, especially considering that my bag already contains my textbooks, food and drink for the day, and other things I might need. It is for this reason that I love to have books stored on my phone, so whenever I get a chance to read, no matter where I am, or how encumbered I am, my books will be with me and I will be able to go off into another world. Being broke, I rarely get to buy books, but there are some great sites like Project Gutenberg that provide free texts as e-book downloads... this is another reason I like e-books, as there is much I can read even without having to have money, or the time for a trip to the library (two things I sadly lack more often than not).

So, while I would normally prefer a physical book, until I'm done with school and making money, it's simply not practical. E-books have made me able to deal with my hectic and busy life and still be able to read when I can... which, to me, is much preferable to just mindlessly playing Candy Crush or something similar when I'm bored and got nothing but school books and my phone (never have played Candy Crush and don't intend to). I haven't had to give up reading for fun yet thanks to e-books, and hopefully I won't ever have to. :)
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby toothlesslover365 » December 17th, 2014, 7:27 pm

both. Ebooks because I can travel with them but Books because I can curl up easier and save my Kindle's battery
Ohana means Family
Family means Nobody gets left behind
Or forgotten.
-Stitch

Kiara's Reign RP Idea
toothlesslover365
Secretly Kiara

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Toothless, Alisa (pronounced Elsa), Ali, Kiara,
Pride Points: 0

Postby FlipMode » December 22nd, 2014, 1:49 am

Still prefer books but I must say that with how technology has come along, I do have more respect for E-books now as well.
Pretty much you could put me in the "both" camp... Still prefer having a library of physical books though, there's just something about an actual book with actual pages.... actually... that just makes me more inclined to read it.
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Return to The Den