Saddest Book You've Read?

Re: Saddest Book You've Read?

Postby Ninaroja » November 14th, 2012, 9:02 pm

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I'm only halfway through and dissolving in my own tears
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » November 14th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Saddest books I've ever read -
Boy in the Striped Pjamas
Before I Die
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Pride of Baghdad
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Woeler » December 26th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Nobody mentioned: Escape from camp 14
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Postby SimbasMate » December 27th, 2012, 2:47 am

The Boy in The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne and The Last Lecture by Randy Paucsh.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby ScarsLove » December 27th, 2012, 3:09 am

[quote="FearsMate"]The Boy in The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne and The Last Lecture by Randy Paucsh.[/quote]

I second this. :cry:

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby Regulus » December 27th, 2012, 3:26 am

I know I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but there's something I need to say. I really didn't think The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was that sad. I didn't even tear up a little bit. Before anyone goes making assumptions about my heart being a black hole, allow me to explain.

I knew what was going to happen, and I thought the ending was necessary. Yeah, I get it, the kid died and that's sad. But, dare I say it, the kid's death was somewhat satisfying. It really put things into perspective.

Many kids died during the holocaust. If the story is intended to be sad, doesn't that imply that the death of a 'master race' child is more sad than the thousands of other children that were murdered?

If the death of an innocent Aryan is what it took to convince someone that gassing others of different races wasn't worth it, then I believe that death is necessary. I, for one, would be willing to die for a cause, if it would make a difference. It's better to die young and with reason than to die of old age and have done nothing worthwhile.

In my opinion, racism is sadder than a child dying. That's why the ending of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas isn't anywhere near the top of the list for me.

If the boy was saved, and the Nazis continued to gas the others, not only would I have cried, but I would have vomited in disgust at mankind as well. That just wouldn't have been right.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Wrightfan » December 27th, 2012, 3:29 am

Metamorphisis is another one.

IT'S NOT HIS FAULT HE TURNED INTO A GIANT BUG DARN IT! :D
Wrightfan
Let's go Mets!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Andrew
Pride Points: 9

Postby Thegeni99 » January 4th, 2013, 4:16 am

[quote="Regulus"]I know I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for this, but there's something I need to say. I really didn't think The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was that sad. I didn't even tear up a little bit. Before anyone goes making assumptions about my heart being a black hole, allow me to explain.

I knew what was going to happen, and I thought the ending was necessary. Yeah, I get it, the kid died and that's sad. But, dare I say it, the kid's death was somewhat satisfying. It really put things into perspective.

Many kids died during the holocaust. If the story is intended to be sad, doesn't that imply that the death of a 'master race' child is more sad than the thousands of other children that were murdered?

If the death of an innocent Aryan is what it took to convince someone that gassing others of different races wasn't worth it, then I believe that death is necessary. I, for one, would be willing to die for a cause, if it would make a difference. It's better to die young and with reason than to die of old age and have done nothing worthwhile.

In my opinion, racism is sadder than a child dying. That's why the ending of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas isn't anywhere near the top of the list for me.

If the boy was saved, and the Nazis continued to gas the others, not only would I have cried, but I would have vomited in disgust at mankind as well. That just wouldn't have been right.[/quote]

I love this, I honestly do. I didn't mind the ending of TBitSP either, because I knew deep down it would be a satisfying ending, and make Ayran's father and others wake up. So I second this to my deathbed. Applauds to you, Regulus. I feel that I teared up with the movie because of the ambient it gave me, had there been no soundtrack and harsh cries of a mother I wouldn't have even given the slightest of tears, just a nod of recognition.
Thegeni99
T'cry'la

M.I.A. MLK User

Nickname(s): Gen, TG99, Aitama
Pride Points: 69

Postby Lauren » January 4th, 2013, 4:19 am

As of what I can remember, I would have to say Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I cried at the ending especially.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Elebeth » February 4th, 2013, 9:26 pm

I don't like really sad books but this one has some sad scene's "crusade in jeans" from Thea Beckmann anyone know this book?
The past can hurt but the way I see it is, you can either run from it or learn from it.
Elebeth
awe

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

some

Pride Points: 2

PreviousNext

Return to The Den