Xbox One!

Re: Xbox One!

Postby FlipMode » May 22nd, 2013, 10:50 pm

"Xbox, go home."
That's what I said after the presentation too.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Regulus » May 23rd, 2013, 3:27 am

My guess is that it'll actually sell rather well, like the Wii. More people would buy a $600 TV remote/DVR than a $600 gaming console.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Tora » May 23rd, 2013, 4:33 am

Xbox One = Trash. I see PS4 taking a dump on this quite literally. Like I get PC gaming is good, but quite honestly PC's with the ability to Game cost considerably more than a Console. PC = Awesome with a console controller, but with keyboard that is just gross.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby FlipMode » May 23rd, 2013, 7:57 pm

Maybe we could start another thread for PC gaming and hardware and use the Xbox One thread to discuss the Xbox One?
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Regulus » May 23rd, 2013, 8:08 pm

Considering that the Xbox One hardware has not yet been announced, and consoles are essentially nothing more than barebone gaming PCs with limited capabilities, personally, I don't really see this as being worthy of two different topics.

Not only do consoles affect PC gaming, as a result of their industrial influence, but PC gaming is the very foundation for the development of new consoles.

...And so it is all connected, in the great circle of gaming.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FlipMode » May 23rd, 2013, 8:16 pm

[quote]Considering that the Xbox One hardware has not yet been announced,[/quote]

There are more things to consoles than just the hardware. And they did announce the hardware specs during the unveil, I thought?

[quote="Regulus"] I don't really see this as being worthy of two different topics.[/quote]

But, it is. If you are going to be talking about it as much as you are.
PC is a different league to console, people who come to this thread would come to talk about Xbox, not PC. I did at least and had to scroll past a page of blabbering about PC specs.

And I was thinking, although they did focus on TV and stuff... Looking back, that was pretty neat. I mean if you are going to watch TV, no denying the One is providing a pretty cool way of doing it =D
FlipMode

Postby DGFone » May 23rd, 2013, 8:30 pm

If anything, considering that both the PS4 and the Xbone are now basically PCs in fancy boxes, not only is there basically no point in having exclusives, due to how easy porting will be, but in a way, consoles themselves will be useless.

Because confirmed specs for both XBone and PS4:
x86, 8-core CPU
8 GB RAM
Some form of a CPU

I will have to wonder, because of how similar these consoles are to your home computer: how long until people will get fed up with the console software and just re-install a regular PC OS onto them? Linux is already famous for being ported to both the PS2/3 and the original Xbox. Now it will be even easier to replace the Micro$oft and Sony software.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » May 23rd, 2013, 8:33 pm

[quote="FlipMode"][quote]Considering that the Xbox One hardware has not yet been announced,[/quote]

There are more things to consoles than just the hardware. And they did announce the hardware specs during the unveil, I thought? [/quote]

My bad.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15646 ... d-analyzed

[quote]
[quote="Regulus"] I don't really see this as being worthy of two different topics.[/quote]

But, it is. If you are going to be talking about it as much as you are.
PC is a different league to console, people who come to this thread would come to talk about Xbox, not PC. I did at least and had to scroll past a page of blabbering about PC specs.[/quote]

You have a point. :innocent:

The PC topic has been moved here.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby DGFone » May 23rd, 2013, 8:51 pm

I may be biased, but when I heard about the new XBox, what I heard was "average PC with loads of DRM".

Because I do treat computers based on what's inside of them, for me, yes, these consoles are PCs in fancy boxes. If the difference between an X-Box and a PC is the shape of a box and a motion controller, can I take my current rig and create a brand new topic for the "DGFBox?" Now more than ever, the difference between a console and a PC is marginal at best.

The previous generation used different architecture. The PS3 had its own thing, while the 360 was PowerPC based. Now that both Sony and MS jumped on board the x86 ship, to claim that PCs and consoles are different is rather silly in my opinion.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » May 23rd, 2013, 9:04 pm

[quote="DGFone"]
I will have to wonder, because of how similar these consoles are to your home computer: how long until people will get fed up with the console software and just re-install a regular PC OS onto them? Linux is already famous for being ported to both the PS2/3 and the original Xbox. Now it will be even easier to replace the Micro$oft and Sony software.[/quote]

PS3 did used to have the option to install other OS like Linux, until people used it as an exploit, then it was removed. That is why it will not be possible. It caused an uproar, allowing copied PS3 games to run with no issue. Don't see them taking the risk again.

[quote]to claim that PCs and consoles are different is rather silly in my opinion.[/quote]

Again, you are looking at it strictly from a hardware point of view. Using terms like "x86", the average console gamer does not know, nor care what an X86 is. The difference is in who they appeal to. They only care whether they can come home from work, sprawl their lazy ass over the sofa, control in hand, Doritos in the other and instantly go straight to COD. That, is the difference and it is pretty big.
FlipMode

PreviousNext

Return to The Den