STEAM

Re: STEAM

Postby DGFone » July 16th, 2012, 1:15 am

As a Linux user who has to run Steam though Wine (and that's not including if the game will work or now), I am glad to say that it's official: STEAM IS COMING TO LINUX!!!!!
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby nathalie » July 16th, 2012, 5:51 am

I have steam.
But only so I could play Plants vs Zombies, haha! As it was on sale last year.
nathalie
tlk soundtrack freak

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 8

Postby FlipMode » July 22nd, 2012, 8:15 am

[quote="Simbaholic"]Eh.. whut's good about Steam. @_@

If the Steam servers are down, you can't play the game you bought.
If you're not connected to the internet, you can't play the game you bought.
Updates take foreeeeever, and Steam force updates it automatically which you can't stop so you sometimes have to wait 30+ min to play.
Hugely unreliable and error prone.

Etc. @_@[/quote]

Not that I am disagreeing; half of the arguments are already were "Well it doesn't happen to me so therefore it doesn't matter." But the only reason I don't like it besides potentially the reasons Sh posted is very simple; I don't really like digital distribution as a whole, I much prefer to have a physical copy that I can see. Any real gamer who has been gaming for a good few years would probably say the same; I only use E-distribution to get indie games that look interesting but aren't on disc like Journey for example.

And the fact it allows indie games to be release a lot cheaper is a good thing it has going for it but still; if I can help it then I will go further out of my way to get a hard copy if I can.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby DGFone » November 5th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Le bumb. Not really...

I just submitted my application to Valve to help test Steam for Linux. I hope I get accepted, because I really want to see the Linux-native as soon as possible! :D
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby OuRaion » November 5th, 2012, 9:33 pm

My username is OuRaion. I have 8 games, they're all free-to-play except for Torchlight.
OuRaion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 60

Postby Regulus » November 5th, 2012, 9:38 pm

[quote="FlipMode"][quote="Simbaholic"]Eh.. whut's good about Steam. @_@

If the Steam servers are down, you can't play the game you bought.
If you're not connected to the internet, you can't play the game you bought.
Updates take foreeeeever, and Steam force updates it automatically which you can't stop so you sometimes have to wait 30+ min to play.
Hugely unreliable and error prone.

Etc. @_@[/quote]

Not that I am disagreeing; half of the arguments are already were "Well it doesn't happen to me so therefore it doesn't matter." But the only reason I don't like it besides potentially the reasons Sh posted is very simple; I don't really like digital distribution as a whole, I much prefer to have a physical copy that I can see. Any real gamer who has been gaming for a good few years would probably say the same; I only use E-distribution to get indie games that look interesting but aren't on disc like Journey for example.

And the fact it allows indie games to be release a lot cheaper is a good thing it has going for it but still; if I can help it then I will go further out of my way to get a hard copy if I can.[/quote]

I prefer hard copies too, but I kinda hate going to the store. Digital distribution is just so convenient. Takes an hour or two to download, then I'm good to go, and that's the end of it. No messing around with discs, copy protection software (though steam has DRM too, I don't mind that), CD keys, or any of that.

What I don't like about Steam is its lack of mod support, and such. Mods are a reason why PC games are vastly superior to their console equivalents.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Biomac » May 27th, 2013, 2:42 am

I haz STEAM o3o , but I only play Serious Sam First and Second Encounter, Serious Sam 3 BFE. Oh yeah and my username is Biomac_92. So if anyone wants to do some multiplayer with me, just PM me x3 .

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Postby KingCub » May 27th, 2013, 2:53 am

I gots a Steam! Its killer75712345 I need some friends on there so add me! ;)

I play anything, Ill play some multiplayer with anyone who is up for it. I have a bunch of flight combat sim's also!
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby FlipMode » November 7th, 2014, 11:29 am

I've come into a lot of extra money lately. So I kind of just spent £1300 on a monstrous gaming PC XD.
Add me on Steam, I'll be playing games on PC a lot from now on : flipmodemvpx is my Steam account name!
Last edited by FlipMode on November 7th, 2014, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Elton John » November 7th, 2014, 11:42 am

i don't play many games on steam but I love chatting with people, if you want to add me note me and i'll tell you my username :D
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

PreviousNext

Return to The Den