How did you find your favorite bands/artists?

How did you find your favorite bands/artists?

Postby DreamEater » February 9th, 2013, 10:41 pm

The title says it. Did you hear on the radio? Did someone suggest it to you? Did Youtube advertise it? Did you hear it on a movie or a show or a video game? Did you see it in someone's signature of MLK?

I'll list how I found all of mine:

Senses Fail: First heard the song "Can't be Saved" on Guitar Hero III.
Mindless Self Indungence: A family member introduced me to them, the song "Never Wanted to Dance".
The Rescues: From The Legend of Spyro I heard of Gabriel Mann, he produces the music to the games, he sings in the band.
Linkin Park: My mother listened to them all of them time, "In the End" was her favorite.
Evanescence: I really can't remember, but I know my mother loved them too.
Fireflight: A family member show them to me, I actually heard their song "Unbreakable" a while before, though.
All American Rejects: I think it was from that stupid Bionicle commercial, I liked the song "Move Along" so I checked them out.
Blessid Union of Souls: I hear their song "Brother, My Brother" in the first Pokemon movie.
Blink 182: I heard their song "All the Small Things" and "Dammit" a long time ago, recently I listened to "I Miss You" and started listening to them now.
Flyleaf: To be entirely honest, their song "All Around Me" is one of the first memories I have.
Of Mice and Men: I seen their song "Repeating Apologies" on the side of another Youtube video I was watching.
The Story of the Year: A family member introduced them to me, "Until the Day I Die" was the first one I heard.
The Birthday Massacre: A family member showed me the song "The Dream" and then a few more afterwards.
A Day to Remember: I seen the song "You Should Have Killed Me When You Had the Chance" on the side of a video I was watching so I checked it out.

That's how I came across my favorite bands, what about you guys?
DreamEater
HEY IT'S ALRIGHT

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

MY LIFE HAS NEVER BEEN A BED OF ROSES

Pride Points: 29

Re: How did you find your favorite bands/artists?

Postby AdAstrα » February 9th, 2013, 11:00 pm

I think I've discovered most of my favourite bands through Youtube actually. Blackmore's Night, which is my favourite band of all time now, was one that I found completely by accident...heard one song and that was it. Hooked. Can't go a day without listening to their music now, and I'm seeing them live in July. They truly opened up my eyes to what I think music should be; inspiring. I've even started writing my own folk/fantasy inspired songs now. I honestly think that discovering them is one of the best things that ever happened to me, and I'm not even exaggerating.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Lauren » February 21st, 2013, 6:26 pm

I'm going to start out with some of my favorite bands:

Nightwish (my all time favorite band :D ), Breaking Benjamin, Within Temptation, Nickelback, and 12 Stones: Several years ago, just at the time when I became a TLK fan, I constantely watched KiarasMate's TLK AMVs every week because his work is just so amazing. When I watched the AMVs with these artisits, I got introduced to them and I really loved their songs. Overtime, I looked for more songs that weren't used by KM and there I went from that point on. With his AMVs that have the songs by Nightwish, he used the instrumental versions of the songs, but I listen to the original version of the song with the vocals, but the instrumentals are very cool too. :)

Three Days Grace: When I was 8, I used to be really obsessed with Danny Phantom. By the time I started going on YouTube for the first time, I watched a Danny Phantom AMV with a Three Days Grace song called "Over and Over", which was the very first song I heard from them. I loved the AMV. I loved the song. Going back to KiarasMate, I found more TDG songs from his AMVs, since he used a lot of songs from them. :)

Evanescence and Kelly Clarkson: When I was little, I used to own a CD that was like Kidz Bop (which I absolutely hate), but you can't blame me. I heard the songs "Miss Independent" by Kelly Clarkson and "Bring Me To Life" by Evanescence. I heard some of Kelly Clarkson's hits on the radio all the time such as "Behind These Hazel Eyes", "Since U Been Gone", "Walk Away", "Because of You", and eventually "Miss Independent". I loved her songs ever since I was little. With Evanescence, again, I have to thank KiarasMate. :)
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby ScarsLove » February 21st, 2013, 6:32 pm

I found all of my favorite bands through AMV's, random youtube searches, online/irl friends, family, movie trailers, or songs I heard on the radio.

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby SlayerOfLight » February 21st, 2013, 9:28 pm

Something called ''internet''.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Si-Amber » February 21st, 2013, 9:30 pm

A lot of my faves such as Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Annie Lennox, Kate Bush, Billy Joel are bands and artists that my parents also like and that I grew up with.
Si-Amber

Pride Points: 74

Postby Wrightfan » February 24th, 2013, 4:39 am

Beatles-In 1995, ABC (American Broadcasting Company) broadcasted "The Beatles Anthology" about the band and all. My first Beatles purchase was Anthology 2...ON CASSETTE TAPE! :lol: I got hooked right away though it was odd that a lot of great songs there I heard in their early form before the official version (the many takes of Strawberry Fields Forever for example.)

Beach Boys-This one is interesting. My Uncle who died young when I was 15 was always a Beach Boys fan. About a year or two after he died I bought Pet Sounds which became my go to album. I didn't become a hardcore fan until I listened to an old cassette (here we go again :D ) of his. When Heroes and Villains came on, I became hooked. Finding the then "bootleg" SMiLE stuff sealed the deal.
Wrightfan
Let's go Mets!

Nickname(s): Andrew
Pride Points: 9

Postby Sigurd » March 2nd, 2013, 2:04 pm

I find my favorite music mainly through Youtube and the music streaming service Spotify
Until I'm home, I'm on a distant road
Sigurd

Pride Points: 14

Postby SophieCub » March 2nd, 2013, 2:56 pm

Taylor Swift: I was looking through Kiara AMVs and I found one with one of Taylor Swifts songs in it. I liked the song and began to look for other songs by her and I just fell in love with her, aha.

Simple Plan: I was feeling depressed so I looked up songs that were about not having a dad, and one of their songs was listed, I had a listen in to it and loved it. I then looked for their other songs and now I can't stop listening to them. It's addictive.
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby Yarrgasaurus » February 2nd, 2014, 4:10 am

I find my favorit artists just like everyone else would: the interwebs.
Yeah i got nothing
Yarrgasaurus
been changing the world

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

over a hundred times

Nickname(s): Shadowjolt
Pride Points: 1

Next

Return to The Den