Is it wrong to like Christian music without being a Christia

Re: Is it wrong to like Christian music without being a Chri

Postby FlipMode » June 20th, 2012, 12:48 am

I guess its the lyrics and stuff, because the songs are themed around faith and stuff... I may not have a faith in a god as such, but I do have faith in myself, so I can kind of relate to them still.
Thanks guys, I knew I was just being paranoid lol =P
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby SnowyCheetah » June 20th, 2012, 1:51 am

[quote="LionsforLambs"]So I listen to black metal music, I must be a devil[/quote]

You sound like my parents

That 2in diameter fart can probably adds at least 50bhp.
SnowyCheetah
The Meme de la Meme

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

is mayonnaise a gender

Nickname(s): Snowy, Snow, Sno, SC, SS, Snowball, Stormy
Pride Points: 23

Postby Misiziri » June 20th, 2012, 1:54 am

[quote="Amanda"]Who's stopping you? I don't even pay attention to any religious or non-religious influence in songs that I enjoy. Music is music dude.[/quote]

Pretty much this lol. I personally don't listen to Christian music most of the time, but we did sing some really beautiful songs praising God in choir. Granted they were all in Latin but I still like the songs a lot. Music is music, if you like the way it sounds then listen to it C:
Misiziri

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): La'Vie
Pride Points: 168

Postby SimbasMate » December 12th, 2012, 3:26 pm

I don't think so. :) I love Skillet, and they are a Christain rock band.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby AdAstrα » December 12th, 2012, 3:39 pm

I don't even pay attention to this stuff, lol....unless it's really obvious. It's quite possible, however, that I just don't notice it because I don't get the Christian references, while if a song had Pagan or spiritual references I'd be likely to pick up on that straight away. I don't think it matters though =) There's no right and wrong when it comes to music, it all depends on taste and preference.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Regulus » December 12th, 2012, 6:26 pm

No. Because music is about the sound, not the meaning. For me, anyway.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Carl » December 12th, 2012, 8:47 pm

I'm not too fond of Christianity, but I don't have a problem with people believing in it, and I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with liking a song that has those meanings or messages in it even if you don't believe. I myself am rather fond of the song, "Dear God" by Avenged Sevenfold, and there are several of their songs with religious references, but I like those anyway. What does annoy me though, is when I'm listening to one of those songs and get a lecture about how 'God isn't real.' Just because I like the song doesn't mean I believe in it, and if I did, those lectures wouldn't change my mind... Of course, I also listen to Eminem all the time, that doesn't mean I believe in killing people and chopping them up. Music's music. It's supposed to be entertainment. Like movies or books. We don't have to believe everything that's in a book or movie we like either; music's no different for me.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby DGFone » December 12th, 2012, 8:51 pm

I find that listening to the music, and ignoring the words, tends to be a much better experience than doing the same thing with what most other radio stations play, on average. Say what you want about the lyrics and meaning, but Christian music doesn't make my ears bleed the moment I switch over from another station.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Woeler » December 12th, 2012, 11:04 pm

^meh, no good lyrics is no good music for me.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby DGFone » December 12th, 2012, 11:10 pm

[quote="Woeler"]^meh, no good lyrics is no good music for me.[/quote]

God save your soul for not liking a good soundtrack then. :P

After all, a lot of excellent TLK music has no lyrics. Still better than 99% of all songs. Don't you agree? And to go along with this train of thought: My sister insists that many of the songs in the Lion king qualify as Christian music. She flat out calls "He Lives in You" the "Christian song". I don't really agree with that, but she does have some convincing arguments.

So what do you guys think: do some of the Lion King songs qualify as "Christian music"?
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

PreviousNext

Return to The Den