What movies have you watched recently?

Re: What movies have you watched recently?

Postby Squeely » August 19th, 2016, 7:12 am

Saw Bambi II for the first time a couple weeks back. It was solid. The decision to explore the relationship between Bambi and his father was a really good one imo.

Also rewatched Bambi beforehand, still a beautiful classic.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Soren » August 20th, 2016, 10:56 pm

TLK 2: SP

Like it just as much as before, if not more.
Chasing Cars Sig by SimbasMate

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I may return.

Nickname(s): Hummingbird, Kiaraholic, Stranger, Dumbo, Balto
Pride Points: 31

Postby FireAndSun » September 3rd, 2016, 5:22 am

I have momentarily arisen from my absence to give my thoughts on a movie. I really suck at this hiatus thing. :lol: So, I went to see Kubo and the Two Strings today. This was made by Laika, the same people that made Coraline. Overall, it was a very enjoyable movie. Visually, it was stunning. This was definitely Laika's best visual work to date. The Japanese aesthetic and attention to detail are also great, and you can tell the crew put a lot of passion into the stop-motion animation. Story wise, it's a bit weak. It's a fairly standard hero's quest, which isn't bad, but it is pretty formulaic. It's an easy to predict plot, some major character revalations aren't hard to figure out beforehand, and some of its more emotional moments ring a bit hollow. I also feel that while the movie explores some interesting themes, it does get a bit preachy by the end. Not the best movie I've seen this year, but it was one I enjoyed a lot, especially the visuals. Although it's not the best movie I've seen this year, I still think people should go see it. This movie had a lot of passion and talent behind it, and it would be a shame to see that go unrewarded. I think it's worth it for any fan of animation to see for the animation alone.

And with that, I return to the depths of hiatusland.
FireAndSun

Pride Points: 25

Postby Soren » September 9th, 2016, 2:39 am

Pete's Dragon (2016)

It was amazing! Go see it in 3D now!

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

I may return.

Postby xKendo » September 9th, 2016, 2:50 am

Pete's Dragon;
The Angry Birds Movie.

Both amazing movies, fortunately I had the chance to watch Pete's Dragon in theathers and I'm simply in love with Elliot. I'm biased tho, I love dragons ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :superexcited:
xKendo

Pride Points: 8

Postby Carl » September 9th, 2016, 8:38 am

In the past couple of weeks, I've rewatched:

Oliver & Company
Hercules
Mulan

And for the first time, watched Mulan II. It wasn't bad, imo, but it being all about love and betrothals and such after its predecessor was about war and risking it all to save those you care about made it extremely underwhelming and just kinda... weird? I guess? Mulan is my favorite Disney Princess and this just doesn't do her justice. Kinda seems to take Shang out of character, as well as rushing the three new romances. There's not really much in the way of character development or growth, though they're obviously trying to imply that the princesses did indeed have character struggles/development, but it left a lot to be desired. The sequels to Aladdin, TLK, and Bambi have given me too high standards for Disney sequels, I guess.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Ninaroja » September 9th, 2016, 4:01 pm

^^ The TLK Disney sequels are definitely the best, IMO. I really feel like they put far more effort into those ones than any of the others, really.

As for me, in the last week I have watched the first three Harry Potter movies! Watching Goblet of Fire on Sunday :)
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Elton John » September 9th, 2016, 4:36 pm

The sequel to the rescuers, the rescuers down under, I think was better than the original. Not a great movie but the original was really boring to me.

I don't care for most disney animated films post walts death until the little mermaid. The great mouse detective was decent, almost good.

As for me, I watched most of Charlie Chaplins 'City Lights' in film appreciation class and will watch the rest next time I go back.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby xKendo » September 9th, 2016, 5:52 pm

[quote="Carl Skywalker"]And for the first time, watched Mulan II. It wasn't bad, imo, but it being all about love and betrothals and such after its predecessor was about war and risking it all to save those you care about made it extremely underwhelming and just kinda... weird? I guess? Mulan is my favorite Disney Princess and this just doesn't do her justice. Kinda seems to take Shang out of character, as well as rushing the three new romances. There's not really much in the way of character development or growth, though they're obviously trying to imply that the princesses did indeed have character struggles/development, but it left a lot to be desired. The sequels to Aladdin, TLK, and Bambi have given me too high standards for Disney sequels, I guess.[/quote]

THIS, thank you. Mulan is also my favorite Disney Princess and even tho I think Mulan II wasn't THAT bad, it doesn't make her justice. But, IMO, nothing compares to Pocahontas II, that movie was just awful :kionugh:

---
Rewatched Happy Feet on Netflix tho! :D
Last edited by xKendo on September 10th, 2016, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xKendo

Pride Points: 8

Postby Soren » September 10th, 2016, 1:35 am

^ Happy Feet is the best!

Watched Balto for the first time. One of my favorite animated movies now. I love it!

ImageImageImageImage
Mood buttons by Carl
Soren
One day...

I may return.

PreviousNext

Return to The Den