My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Postby Ultra Fox » October 19th, 2015, 8:28 pm

I knew you'd make it here eventually ML. :lol:

Considering the fact that the Season 5 intro was a tad less explosive than usual (though it was really good), I hope that the finale will be as awesome as Twilight's Kingdom. If not even better.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Carl » October 19th, 2015, 8:31 pm

The first time I tried to watch the series, I started at the beginning, watched the first two episodes and felt it was meh. I later saw some of season 4 on TV when my kid cousin was over and if I hadn't seen those I probably never would have given the series another chance. Slice of Life was probably one of my least favorite season 5 episodes, but I still enjoyed it.

I do agree with SH about the "every little girl wants to be a princess" comment. As a little girl I always wanted to be more like Vegeta than, say, Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella or something. However, I don't think MLP is teaching girls to be like princesses, each of the mane 6 still have their unique personalities, strengths, and weaknesses, which are explored in the series. We even saw in Brotherhooves Social that nopony cares if a stallion wants to dress as a mare, and I'm sure it goes both ways. The series focuses a lot on not trying to be someone you aren't. The show also shows that not all princesses have to be the same. Sure everyone looks up to them and they're all considered to be wise and "perfect" but each is different from the others, especially Twilight and Luna.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Ultra Fox » October 19th, 2015, 8:44 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]We even saw in Brotherhooves Social that nopony cares if a stallion wants to dress as a mare, and I'm sure it goes both ways. The series focuses a lot on not trying to be someone you aren't.[/quote]
Despite whatever McCarthy said, it certainly doesn't really translate into the series itself.

I do also think that FiM is really taking risks with some of its morals. That Brotherhooves Social one is a good example. I was surprised to see Crusaders of the Lost Mark actually show that it's OKAY to tell a parent to STFU if they are making your life worse and are very clearly in the wrong like Diamond Tiara's mother. Soccer moms won't like that one. :lol:
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby SlayerOfLight » October 20th, 2015, 8:14 pm

I remember someone made me watch just ONE episode of MLP and I couldn't even make it to the first 10 minutes before losing my patience and turning it off...

Of course I respect everyone; girl and guy alike, who is into this pony stuff, but I just fail to see what's so ''great'' about it. To me it just looks like something a three years old girl would watch before bedtime. Okay perhaps I can apprehend why girls may like it, but even today I am still puzzled why even some guys seem totally obsessed with it. Would someome care to explain me this?
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Ultra Fox » October 20th, 2015, 8:35 pm

For one, MLP FiM is not a preschool program. It airs on the same channel as shows like Dan Vs. and Animaniacs which are BARELY appropriate for children.

Getting into the series often takes:
1. Not watching the first few episodes until already liking the show, because like many other shows that have existed, the first episodes aren't quite as good as it gets a bit later on.
2. Ignoring the girly elements and understanding that the series stars female characters. Powerpuff Girls and My Life as a Teenage Robot both have many girly elements, but no one bats an eye when males like them. Focusing on the well-written characters, really good humor, and fun stories at first is a must. There are even episodes that focus more on tomboy/male characters to enjoy in the series that one could start out with.

There are also many things no preschooler little girls show would have. Alluding to murder (actually even showing it), cursing, and real life issues like disability or political power that are not dumbed down for kids. There is so much to enjoy in FiM, but it really takes not judging a book by its cover. That's not to say you HAVE to enjoy it, but I do at least appreciate it when people take the advice above and at least dislike it based on those elements rather than the fact that MLP is traditionally for girls.

FiM is certainly NOT the MLP you remember from the 80's to mid 2000's. It's a reboot that ended up better than it had any right to be. If you want something hard to watch, watch the earlier 3 My Little Pony series. You'll notice a HUGE difference in quality and intelligence.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby SlayerOfLight » October 20th, 2015, 9:40 pm

Thanks for the answer, that made it a little more clear. So you mentioned that there's cursing and murder is directly shown? I admit, that's pretty tense for such a ''cute'' cartoon. But then again it makes me wonder wether the deaths are pure malice or comedic, and if the cursing is just some harmless light cursing. Because from a fan's perspective, some things might easily be a little exaggerated. It's quite normal though, because I also have the tendency to exaggerate over something I like while it may be in fact not very impressive to others at all. And yea; I noticed that the earlier MLP seems ever worse than this reboot, I'll agree with you on that one.

That being said, I still don't think MLP FIM is something I'd personally enjoy though. Maybe it's because I'm not really into cute things, Idk... But by all means, if it entertains you then keep having fun. After all, who am I to decide what someone should like or not.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Ultra Fox » October 20th, 2015, 9:49 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]Thanks for the answer, that made it a little more clear. So you mentioned that there's cursing and murder is directly shown? I admit, that's pretty tense for such a ''cute'' cartoon.[/quote]
Oops. Wasn't trying to confuse, I said it alludes to more adult things. Examples: replacements for real curses or one infamous example where it looks like Fluttershy murders a bear for a joke, but it's a fakeout (but still dark for a show like that). The show isn't FULL with it, either. Was just saying that more adult jokes and themes ARE there, though, and they're decently common.

I can understand not liking cute things, and I can understand if that deters you from the series. I know you love stuff like metal, so do I. Metal was the first genre of music I got into other than stuff from video game soundtracks. I like darker things and cuter things. I'm not picky, but people can like whatever they want. I can convince people to try out MLP FiM, but I sure don't pretend I can make anyone enjoy it.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby Carl » October 20th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Many of the episodes are quite goofy and somewhat childlike, admittedly, so if goofy and childlike things never entertain you, then those won't be appealing to you. That said, even some of those goofy ones do indeed address deeper issues and darker themes than the cute packaging of the show would lead one to expect. Especially in the most recent season, the show provides social commentary and addresses some controversial topics. It can be surprisingly mature.

I was very shocked to find things I liked about it at first.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Ultra Fox » October 20th, 2015, 10:00 pm

[quote="Julie Skywalker"]Many of the episodes are quite goofy and somewhat childlike, admittedly, so if goofy and childlike things never entertain you, then those won't be appealing to you. That said, even some of those goofy ones do indeed address deeper issues and darker themes than the cute packaging of the show would lead one to expect. Especially in the most recent season, the show provides social commentary and addresses some controversial topics. It can be surprisingly mature.[/quote]
Dark themes, jokes, and story elements can often be even more effective and memorable when contrasted with a more overall lighthearted tone. Example: Scootaloo accepting that she may be too disabled to ever fly, despite being a Pegasus, may have not been so heartbreaking yet empowering towards her if they didn't throw that truth bomb at you after a mostly happy first half of the episode.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby Regulus » October 20th, 2015, 10:40 pm

The show is not as "adult" as people say it is. A lot of the episodes are simple and predictable, and I can totally understand why one would call it childish. Because, for the most part, it is. There are some adult references, but those are just that: references. Like it or not, the truth is the overall stories are tailored towards kids and their families.

Now, that said, the writers do a very good job of making the show something that's worth watching. It's a show for kids, but it's a high-quality show. It's done well, so it has many redeemable qualities. And while the show is childish at large, it is hardly girly. Aside from the fact that most of the cast is female and the rulers are princesses, the theme song is basically the most girly part of the entire show.

When it all comes down to it, the reasons why I like it are the same reasons why I like TLK. In fact, over the time I've been involved in both fandoms, I've found they fulfill very similar, if not identical places in my life.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

PreviousNext

Return to The Den