My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Postby Elton John » October 19th, 2015, 7:09 am

Powerpuff girls had so much innuendo omg.

I think the episode where that all male superhero league and the joke at the end is probably the dirtiest thing in american tv animation and i've seen all of animaniacs and roccos modern life.

But back on topic, i'd rather people watch mlp fim over shows like uncle grandpa. Omg that show was just horrid.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Ultra Fox » October 19th, 2015, 7:18 am

I think Uncle Grandpa is... decent. I get why so many hate it, though. :lol:

Did you watch anything past the first few episodes of MLP: FiM btw? People's biggest mistake is starting there, tbh. The show gets WAY better near the end of season 1, and especially in season 2 onward.

Even as a diehard fan, the first couple of episodes I find a tad... mediocre.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Carl » October 19th, 2015, 7:25 am

Season 1 certainly wasn't as good as the rest of the series. Being more interested in dark stuff and very much a tomboy, I usually find shows aimed at younger kids really annoying, especially the ones aimed at girls. In fact growing up I watched Transformers instead of the iteration of MLP that was on at the time. This series is different though, it's really nice for people like myself with little to no social skills.

I like the references too, for instance the episode title, "Filli Vanilli."

In general the messages the show provides and the music and cheerful nature of it relaxes and calms me.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Ultra Fox » October 19th, 2015, 7:31 am

Season 1 was a bit lighter, but now the series delves into deeper and darker themes, and it is one of those shows that treats kids like beings with a brain, instead of things to basically throw bright colors and mindless crap at. Because of that, you can be an adult and not into super girly crap (or what executives think girls want to see) and really enjoy the series.

I think MLP FiM has a perfect mix of calming lightheartedness and darker themes that not many other shows have.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby Elton John » October 19th, 2015, 7:35 am

I only watched part of season 1. Don't have much time for tv so I just focus on the stuff I really want to watch. Like The Flash (love this show) guardians of the galaxy the animated series, and the lion guard.

I'll be giving supergirl a chance as I am a big fan of superman and i'm glad that they are making a show based on his cousin. I also want to watch marvels jessica jones, agent carter season 2 and daredevil season 2.

I started to watch 'scream queens' which is a deliciously dark mix of 'scream' and 'mean girls'.

....i'm way off topic... Uh, I think that fluttershy is my fav character from mlp that I have seen.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Postby Ultra Fox » October 19th, 2015, 8:00 am

That Guardians of the Galaxy series looks pretty cool, but I haven't checked it out yet. I loved the movie! :D

Fluttershy is definitely one of my favorites. Though I love all of the Mane 6. Applejack is technically my least favorite but she's still entertaining.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby WildSimba » October 19th, 2015, 9:01 am

Honestly I disliked the first few episodes I saw in season 1, but I started watching season 2 when it first came out and saw the quality of writing after that. The show often goes into more dark and adult themes than what you'd expect for a show that seemingly would usually be for little girls.

Season 5 has been great so far, with a few weaker episodes. All 3 Equestria Girls films are great as well.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Simbaholikov » October 19th, 2015, 1:52 pm

I like FiM. Seasons 1 and 2 at least.

Season 3 was mediocre and forgettable for the most part, and included one of the worst eps in the series by randomly making Twilight a Princess in the most rushed episode I've ever seen for such a massive change.
Completely sucked away most of my enthusiasm for the show knowing that crap like that can happen simply because Hasbro wants to market more toys. Not even gonna go into the abomination that is Equestria Girls.

Leading on from that, Season 4 had one or two good eps but had a huge number of OOC inconsistencies from the characters that just made it unenjoyable to watch overall, they had new writers that season I think.

On from that I've actually enjoyed a lot of Season 5, though a number of eps (Namely the Fan Service eps) have been veeeery cringeworthy to watch but overall quality went back up a little.

Meghan McCarthy's disgusting little quote about “Every little girl wants to be a princess, and not everybody can get to be a princess — but you can live up to the ideals that should come along with being a princess.” left a very sour taste too. Lauren Faust was trying to promote the idea that all girls are different and have different likes and interests and want to be and do different things, and we get this and the vile Equestria Girl films.

Overall I still like ponies, but I no longer get excited over new episodes.
Simbaholikov

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Ultra Fox » October 19th, 2015, 8:06 pm

I agree that Season 3 was weak, but it's also very short which makes it very ignorable for me.

Disagree about Season 4. 90% of it was fantastic. I also think that the MLP staff have handled "fanservice" really well. Slice of Life was more of a fun look into the lives of background characters than fanservice to me.

I appreciate Lauren Faust making the show in the first place, but I actually think the less she's involved with the series, the better it gets (besides Season 3). I don't think Faust's original vision was as godly as people say. She did write the pilot episodes- some of the weakest in the series. It introduces the characters decently well, but that's about it. Her writing and direction felt MORE like it was for little girls than any of the other staff members. So many people can't get into the series thanks to those early episodes.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby InsaneSeagull » October 19th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Hello, everypony ;)

As you probably know, I'm a huge MLP fan. Oh, well.

I'm not really sure which season I like most. Probably 4th and 5th. I like the first few episodes of season 3 as well. I think I'm least fond of the 1st season, but I still like it.

My favorite episode would be Cutie Mark Chronicles, but the new Crusaders of the Lost Mark is really awesome as well. And many more are great.

My favorite mane pony is Twilight. As for the others, I love Scootaloo and Luna.

I can't wait to discuss this show a bit more!
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

PreviousNext

Return to The Den