My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Postby Ultra Fox » October 21st, 2015, 12:30 am

[quote="Regulus"]The show is not as "adult" as people say it is. A lot of the episodes are simple and predictable, and I can totally understand why one would call it childish. Because, for the most part, it is. There are some adult references, but those are just that: references. Like it or not, the truth is the overall stories are tailored towards kids and their families.[/quote]
Have to disagree there. "Adult" is the wrong word, yes (other than with some of the references), but the show does have mature themes at times. No, not in EVERY episode, but they're most certainly there. I never feel like it's a show that talks down to kids or anyone else with the exception of a small number of episodes written by inferior writers that have too much exposition.

Totally ignoring those themes and story points that are not in 90% of other family-friendly cartoons (other than other really well written ones like Korra, Adventure Time, Steven Universe) is a bit of a shame. The childishness is there, but it takes all audiences seriously. And yeah, some episodes don't have anything like that. Nothing wrong with simply fun episodes sometimes.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

woRSt MoVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Nickname(s): meem machine >;)
Pride Points: 97

Postby Regulus » October 21st, 2015, 12:45 am

[quote="NEStalgiaFox"]I never feel like it's a show that talks down to kids or anyone else with the exception of a small number of episodes written by inferior writers that have too much exposition.[/quote]

Exactly. But the target audience for the show is still kids. If it was written for adults it would be very, very different.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Ultra Fox » October 21st, 2015, 1:05 am

Oh, I know. Though there's a place for kid-friendly and teen/adult-only cartoons that are of quality. If there's enough to enjoy in a series, I'll watch it.

I love shows like MLP FiM, and ones like Rick and Morty. Very different, but both very good.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby Carl » December 27th, 2015, 4:05 am

So, a random thought occurred to me that I thought I'd share here:
Before Luna became Nightmare Moon and after she atoned for her actions, it is implied that not only does she raise the moon at night and lower it for the dawn, but that she is the "ruler" of the night. Which, would make sense, because I'm pretty sure even alicorns like Celestia need to sleep... so how did Celestia sleep for those 1000 years that Luna was banished in the moon? She would have had to take charge of both night and day, so... did she take cat naps? Did she sleep at night and have guards wake her up when she needed to lower the moon/raise the sun or if something happened?

Obviously there's no right answer since this hasn't been addressed in the canon (unless the books about the show are canon and address it... which I wouldn't know), it was just a random thing I thought of. :P
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Troll Berserker » December 27th, 2015, 5:57 pm

I watched a few random episodes once. To me it's just a generic kid show like I dunno, Powerpuff Girls were. I get why people find it entertaining, and it wasn't that bad, but it had absolutely nothing that would interest me.
It doesn't have a grotesque dark humor like Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack or Adventure Time. It's not filled with as many adult references as many people say. Many older cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory, Flinstones, Powerpuff Girls also had adult references. I say I'd like it more maybe if I watched it 10 years ago, but as I watched it today, it was nothing different than other good kid shows. Good, but still a kid show. I can watch it without cringe, but there's nothing to get me hooked.
[quote]"Wild lions do it!!" yes, but we're talking about a society of human-minded lions, not cub-eating beasts[/quote]
PREACH!

Image Image Image
"We've come to scream in the happy house
We're in a dream in the happy house
We're all quite sane"
Troll Berserker
A True Blooded Fantasy

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm not the one that's so absurd

Nickname(s): Troll, TB
Pride Points: 15

Postby Squeely » December 29th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Love MLP: FiM. Season 5 was probably the overall best season thus far.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Ultra Fox » December 29th, 2015, 9:13 pm

[quote="Troll Berserker"]I watched a few random episodes once. To me it's just a generic kid show like I dunno, Powerpuff Girls were.[/quote]
The Powerpuff Girls is an awesome show that has more sneaky adult humor than most cartoons even at the time (only mention that since you gave other examples of "kids" cartoons with adult humor, and PPG has a crapton of it).

If you are ONLY in it for the humor, MLP FiM won't appeal to you. It has plenty, but it's not the only focus. People also love it for its well-developed characters, awesome music, heartwarming stories, and other elements.
Ultra Fox
lyING kInG!!!

Postby Squeely » December 29th, 2015, 10:38 pm

Yeah, MLP is somewhat light on the humor. You'll probably get one or two really funny jokes per episode (though of course it does vary by episode), unlike PPG or Animaniacs, which are a lot more humor-based. MLP tends to be stronger when it comes to characters, fantasy, and the occasional darker tones. I find I like it more for those aspects than for humor, though of course a good joke is always appreciated.
Ask me anything!#TeamFemale on the Gender Race

Squeely

Sassy cub

Nickname(s): Debby, Debs, Deebee, Cap'n Squeels McDeebee
Telegram: @Squeely
Pride Points: 49

Postby Troll Berserker » December 30th, 2015, 8:56 am

[quote="Ultra Fox"][quote="Troll Berserker"]I watched a few random episodes once. To me it's just a generic kid show like I dunno, Powerpuff Girls were.[/quote]
The Powerpuff Girls is an awesome show that has more sneaky adult humor than most cartoons even at the time (only mention that since you gave other examples of "kids" cartoons with adult humor, and PPG has a crapton of it).
[/quote]
I loved PPG, but they didn't get that much of a hype. But I guess it's because of the formula difference, MLP has more continuity after all. And I was talking about humor because some people said that this is what's interesting for an adult viewer.
About no humor&darker themes, I prefer Samurai Jack xD
[quote]"Wild lions do it!!" yes, but we're talking about a society of human-minded lions, not cub-eating beasts[/quote]
PREACH!

Image Image Image
"We've come to scream in the happy house
We're in a dream in the happy house
We're all quite sane"
Troll Berserker
A True Blooded Fantasy

I'm not the one that's so absurd

Nickname(s): Troll, TB
Pride Points: 15

Postby PridelandsPhantom » July 16th, 2016, 2:23 pm

I am totally a Pegasister and full admit it :lol: I have liked the new seasons a lot. One of my favorite episodes besides the CMC getting their cutie marks has been Rainbow Dash finally being a full-fledged member of the Wonderbolts! I loved how she impersonated all the mane five! I also liked seeing Fluttershy's brother and her parents.

I also really liked the episode with Sunburst and Starlight Glimmer. I like the relationship between the two (yes I ship them ;) Gauntlet of Fire was one I really enjoyed because of the story (Twilight and Rarity are disguised as a rock :P ). I really liked Ember as a character and I think there could be a nice relationship between here and Spike.
Dog Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, and Kawaii. :)
Three Angel Babies at the Rainbow Bridge: Mija, London, and Olga :cry:
PridelandsPhantom
Kion is My Waifu!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Disney Fan and Lioness at Heart

Nickname(s): Mako, Dog Mom, Alex, Jessi
Pride Points: 12

PreviousNext

Return to The Den