Disney remaking classic films into LA/CGI hybrids

Disney remaking classic films into LA/CGI hybrids

Postby FlipMode » July 10th, 2014, 12:05 pm

No Lion King announced yet, just thought I'd get that out the way so people can leave the thread early.
Well in what seems to be a trend at the moment, Disney are re-imagining yet another classic animated film into a live action / CGI hybrid. Dumbo. No really, Dumbo, racist black birds and everything.

Now I will say, Maleficient was a pretty good movie and Angelina Jolie was a great choice. But Jungle Book and now Dumbo? I don't know...
I'm still getting over the fact that Power Rangers are getting a reboot movie even though the TV series is still going fairly strong with Megaforce. But at least that makes sense. How do you reboot movies into live action when most of the characters are animals?

You know they are planning a Lion King reboot, its coming, I can feel it...

So what animated movies / TV shows (Disney or not) would you like to see remade into live action next and what ones would you NOT want to happen?

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/disney-deve ... 03457.html

What's next? A Sonic The Hedgehog CGI movie?... That'd be dumb and I'm sure no company would ever agree to make that a thing... Right?...
Kingdom Hearts movie, because plots that are so complicated that fans are confused in a 30 hour long game should totally be reduced to two hour movies.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: Disney remaking classic films into LA/CGI hybrids

Postby Ninaroja » July 10th, 2014, 7:42 pm

This is further proof that Disney are running out of original ideas. Increasingly in the last few years they have had to fall back on their already well established films to make money. First it was 3D re-releases and now this.
I haven't seen Maleficent but I have heard of The Jungle Book reboot (I actually thought the new "Hercules" film was the same, but it's from a different studio). This is the first I've heard of the Dumbo one.

IDK if there will be a Lion King version but given the state of Modern-Day Disney you never know. I was convinced they would let TLK lie but what with the new Lion Guard stuff I guess I was wrong, and this could happen for all we know.
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby TheLionPrince » July 11th, 2014, 11:21 pm

I haven't seen Maleficent yet, but it was a creative idea of retelling the original fairy tale from the villain's perspective as well as provide a backstory for them. I wish they had done that with the third Lion King movie during the early 2000s. I caught on that this was becoming a trend when they announced a live-action movie about Cruella de Vil was in development. Now, with Cinderella (2015) in post-production and live-action adaptations of The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, and now Dumbo in the works, this has gone too far and showing Disney is growing creatively bankrupt if they weren't already.

Like Ninajora, I don't see a live-action adaptation of Lion King happening since they are occupied with The Lion Guard, and plus, they are making money from Blu-Ray/DVD sales, Broadway sales, merchandise, and sales from the recent soundtrack release.

[quote="FlipMode"]Well in what seems to be a trend at the moment, Disney are re-imagining yet another classic animated film into a live action / CGI hybrid. Dumbo. No really, Dumbo, racist black birds and everything.[/quote]

The crows are not racist stereotypes as people would like to think they are. They were making fun of the thought that Dumbo's ears can fly like the human kids and the other female elephants were making fun of his ears, but they learned their lesson in the end.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby MooLion » July 12th, 2014, 6:44 pm

Disney have made live-action adaptations of The Jungle Book before, so that's not a big bother. Unless they are going to make it similar to Maleficent in that it has a few nods to the original classic then I'm not sure how that'll work, potentially a little worrying.

Dumbo sounds like an odd one... how they might interpret the Dumbo style to live-action... hmm.

I'm okay with live-action (with the odd CGI character in) if they're done well and are varied enough from the original. Films that merely update but change very little really don't have much point.

Whole CGI versions of classics? Please don't do that as if CGI could be an updated 'improvement' over a 2D classic. Nasty thought, and highly unnecessary.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby Lauren » July 21st, 2014, 2:23 am

Personally, I don't like that Disney has been trying to remake their animated films into live-action/CGI. It just messes up the whole purpose of why their animated films (mostly 2D) have stuck out as legacies since 1937. Not only has Disney been doing this for several years, but other studios as well. In August the new live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie is coming out in which the turtles are CGI. Based on the trailers I've seen, they look really ugly to me, in my opinion, and not as appealing as their hand drawn counterparts.

I just don't really see the point of Disney trying to remake their films into live-action. Sure, they've had live action films in the past such as Pirates of the Caribbean, but they were first in LA and not animated, so those are fine. I have seen the 1951 version of Alice in Wonderland and I like it just the way it is. With the live-action version, I just feel that the film doesn't live up to the original since the animation style of the different parts to Wonderland were very creative and matched with the zaniness. Plus, Johnny Depp is not a very good Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat wasn't as cool as the animated one.

With the 1959 Sleeping Beauty, I don't like it due to the fact that it's really boring, which puts me to sleep, and characters are very bland. I know that everybody seems to love Maleficent, but I've seen way better Disney villains than her and I didn't see the point of making a film centered all around her.

Additionally, I miss Disney making 2D animated films. It's ironic that they've been known for their hand-drawn films since the late 1930s and influenced every animation studio, yet they've decided to quit what made them so legendary. I love Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph, and Frozen was good, but they aren't the same as their past films like TLK, Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Snow White, etc. The Princess and the Frog should've received more attention and it was a horrible idea for Disney to release Winnie the Pooh on the same week as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Return to The Den