Clichés

Clichés

Postby Lauren » June 21st, 2014, 10:52 pm

What are some clichés that you like or hate that keep appearing often in films/TV?

I'll start with some of the ones I hate:

1. The Mean Father (With no reason/understanding behind the behavior)

2. The Love Triangle

3. The "Gay" Couple that's automatically assumed by the audience without any evidence

4. The Eye Scar (Well, not really hate, but characters should not be having that same type of wound and have it somewhere else.)
Last edited by Lauren on May 2nd, 2015, 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Clichés

Postby ScarsLove » June 21st, 2014, 11:14 pm

Cliches, the ones I love-

1. Forbidden Love
2. Love Triangles
3. Tragic Pasts WITH repercussions
4. The villain falling obsessively in love with the heroine.
5. Bro-mances
6. Happily-ever afters that you actually worked and fought hard for, even though there were sacrifices
7. Giving up the one thing you truly love for the greater good, making the ultimate sacrifice
8. Sympathetic villains
9. The big final fight!
10. The hard on the outside but soft on the inside character

Cliches, the ones I hate-

1. The 'Chosen' One
2. The 'Last of Your Kind'
3. Tragic Past with NO repercussions ( Where the MC's back story is nothing but death, betrayal, and gooey bloody body parts of all their loved ones everywhere all for the sake of making them a broody A-hole or "deep". )
4. Happily-ever afters like a fairytale
5. When the villains/enemies/whatever just stand around giving the MC or their sidekicks enough time to attack them when they could just jump them and kill them there.
6. An aroused young couple get slaughtered during/after booty call
7. Damsels-in-Distress!
8. Mary/Gary Sue!
9. Villains who have no point in being evil.
10. Bombshell Blonde who is totally ritsy gets a piece of the wild-side after meeting a dark and handsome stranger
11. Vampires - anything to do with them really.
12. Villains who explain there whole entire plan!
( insert 2,000+ more cliches here )

Image Image Image Image

Spoiler: show
ScarsLove

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

"All's well that's well for me"

Nickname(s): Wolfy, Nikki
Pride Points: 70

Postby Haraka » June 21st, 2014, 11:24 pm

[quote="Mrs Depp"]
4. Happily-ever afters like a fairytale
5. When the villains/enemies/whatever just stand around giving the MC or their sidekicks enough time to attack them when they could just jump them and kill them there.
10. Bombshell Blonde who is totally ritsy gets a piece of the wild-side after meeting a dark and handsome stranger
12. Villains who explain there whole entire plan!
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more , especially the 5 and 12. This is such a bad way to give the heroes a way to triumph over evil , it feels Extremellllyyyyyyy forced and cheap :sad:
Haraka

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 10

Postby MooLion » June 23rd, 2014, 5:37 pm

God yeah, for now the 'chosen one' cliche I jumps out at me (I'll think about others later). That prophecy thing is getting over done! Erk... another one? :roll:
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby TheLionPrince » June 23rd, 2014, 6:20 pm

Clichés I like:

1. The Chosen One / Protagonist has to fulfill a prophecy
2. Orphaned/single-parent protagonist
3. Villain falls to their death
4. Climatic showdown between the hero and villain
5. Love interest
6. An underdog team emerges victorious
7. Motivational speech
8. Coming-of-age story
9. Cliffhanger / sequel bait (It only works if there actually is a sequel made.)
10. Pregnant woman gives birth at the end of the movie
11. Feminist woman pairs up with a man, and they become dependent on each other

Clichés I dislike:

1. Villain explains through monologue what their evil plan is
2. "He's dead!!! No wait, he's alive? Hooray!" scenario (This cliché dates back to Pinocchio, but I notice most recent animated movies try to enforce a situation near the end where a character is believed to be dead, but it turns out they're alive and everyone is happy.)
3. Sex scenes and frontal nudity that add nothing to the movie
4. Forbidden love (unless executed right)
5. Love at first sight
6. Character screaming "NOOOOO!!!"
7. Love triangle (unless executed right)
8. During a fight, villain and hero pause to make comments with each other and resume fighting
9. Product placement
10. Kid knows more than an adult
11. Villain tricks hero by showing remorse making the gullible hero fall for it and (s)he gets betrays
12. Movie/television show set in New York City or Los Angeles
13. Suspense music builds up to nothing harmless
14. Pop-up screams
15. Typical in romantic comedies, the couple break up during the movie, and get reunited at the end.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Lauren » July 7th, 2014, 1:17 am

Some clichés I like :) :

1. Wars that focus on Good vs. Evil

2. Group friendships

3. The Chosen One

4. Objects with magical/special abilities

5. Dark pasts

6. People sticking together

7. Badass fighters

8. The Soft/Shy/Naïve protagonist

9. Epic speeches during wartime

10. The shouting of "NOOOOO!!!" during a life-and-death situation

11. The wise, old, yet admiring man who teaches the younger characters about life/help them with their situations

12. The big epic battle between the Protagonist and the Antagonist
Last edited by Lauren on May 2nd, 2015, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby FlipMode » August 10th, 2014, 11:29 am

Timebomb scenes. Where a character needs to get somewhere or do something like cut a wire before a timer reaches zero and everything gets blown up just to make it within the last second >.>
FlipMode

Pride Points: 266

Return to The Den