Her

Her

Postby Lauren » February 17th, 2014, 2:27 am

The main plot of this film revolves around a man named Theodore who forms a relationship with a talking OS (operating system), in which the OS names herself Samantha and tries to build up his life while he and his former wife, Catherine, are in the process of a divorce due to past relationship problems. Since the technology is much more advanced than ours in the real world, the film is set in the future. Theodore also has a job in which he writes professional love letters for people who have a difficult time expressing their own feelings.

I went to see the film today and I loved it. I relate with this movie because me and my boyfriend live in different states that are far away and we pretty much talk all the time through text and Skype calls (video and/or voice). Me and Tim met on MLK about 2 years ago. He was here in New York a few months ago and he had to go back to Arkansas since he transfered colleges and was going to get a job. We tell each other that we love us together and miss spending time together in person. Plus, the way Samantha and Theodore talk and the kinds of questions they ask each other are exactly how me and Tim talk. In addition to that, I once talked with Tim on the phone through a voice call when I was sleeping in bed, which remind me of the scenes of Theodore talking to her in bed.

Overall, this film is brilliant and it portrays a great example of a realistic relationship even though one is a person and the other is technological. Joaquin Phoenix is fantastic as Theodore and Scarlett Johansson as Samantha. They captured true emotions through their conversations and I cared for them a lot as a couple. Relationships can be strong no matter what form it's taken in.
Last edited by Lauren on July 26th, 2014, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: Her

Postby Biomac » February 20th, 2014, 5:15 pm

Yeah I've seen the trailer. However it seems to horribly lack in originality and it has already been done before.

I am the Hope of the Universe... I am the Answer to all Living Things that cry out for Peace... I am Protector of the Innocent... I am the Light in the Darkness... I am Truth - Goku.

Mosquitoes suck - Saitama.
Biomac

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Bio
Pride Points: 36

Postby Ninaroja » March 21st, 2014, 6:33 pm

"Her" was so beautiful :cheese: I loved it so much - it shot straight into my top 10. The music was so good and I loved the story and the casting was so awesome and I just onjoskndfgkhbf.

Definitely my favourite film from 2013 by a long shot :)
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby TheLionPrince » July 26th, 2014, 12:32 am

I just saw the movie this afternoon, and I rather liked it very much. The story can be considered original, though it was done before in an episode of The Big Bang Theory and Electric Dreams. I really liked the cinematography because it was so colorful like a comic book, and visually symbolizes Theo's fairy-tale romance with Samantha. Joaquin Phoenix, always excellent portraying troubled men, excels in the role, and the small supporting cast was likeable at best. Of course, I appreciated the social commentary dealing with human reliance on technology (which I'm guilty of) and the status of everyday interpersonal relationships. It'll take a couple more viewings to appreciate the movie more, but it was a beautiful film with quirky, subtle dialogue to enjoy.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby PrincessKiara » October 27th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I saw this in the cinema, and I LOVED it.. It was really beautiful and touched me as I could relate to Theodore in different ways, plus it was really thought provoking.
Recommended! :D

Also Joaquin Phoenix is awesome.
PrincessKiara
I`m no super genius. Or are I?

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Miles To Go Before I Sleep

Nickname(s): Solle
Pride Points: 40

Return to The Den