Game Shows

Game Shows

Postby ScarHades » February 12th, 2014, 10:52 am

So what's your favorite game shows and why? What do you think of the newer game shows?

My favourites are:

Gladiators with John Fashanu
Wipeout with Bob Monkhouse
Strike It Lucky
You Bet
Keynotes
Chain Letters
Going For Gold
Turnabout
15 to 1
Bullseye
Family Fortunes with Les Dennis
Catchphrase with Roy Walker

I don't pay attention to the newer game shows
Last edited by ScarHades on February 13th, 2014, 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ScarHades

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Rors
Pride Points: 3

Re: Game Shows

Postby FlipMode » February 12th, 2014, 11:08 am

Press Your Luck. Despite probably being fixed, the fact it was entirely based on luck drove some contestants absolutely insane when the played it. Because here's the thing when something you do is based on how well you do it (skill) or how much you know about it (knowledge), you don't get as "into it" as if it is luck based.
That's why old game shows like The Price Is Right were so much more interesting.
Now it's just watching people answer questions for money and it's like... Dude I knew that as well, where the Heck is my £10,000?!
"BIG MONEY NO WHAMMIES COM'ONNNNNN!"
"I think the answer is A but C sounds familiar."... You tell me which one of those is more exciting.

So yeah, I liked older game shows like The Price Is Right and Golden Balls. Anything that was based on luck and like, bluffing through the competition. Most of today's game shows like The Chase and stuff are just for people with too much time on their hands.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby MooLion » February 12th, 2014, 2:02 pm

I'm not a big fan of recent game shows and game shows in general, although I quite like, (and these are all UK ones):

In It To Win It because I actually feel I can give some of the answers a go. You have to list so many answers to a given topic like 'Name any actresses that have one an Oscar since 2000' and if you manage so many you get more money, and even more for more money. I can't explain it very well!

I also think Pointless is okay, and I'm not going to explain it, but again you can join in at home.

Family Fortunes is another where one can feel they can play along with. :D Catchphrase is similarly quite old now and I like how I do pretty well with answering the 'catchphrases'.

I used to like The Generation Game because the contestants got to try out various activities making it much more rounded a show than just answering a few questions for money.

The children's game show I liked most was Funhouse. Literally a fun 'house' to go into at the end to collect tokens, as well as Go-Karts!

There are a lot of boring game shows that have come out in recent years. I don't rate Who Wants A Millionaire, which has moreorless been knocked on the head now, anyway, The Chase, Deal Or No Deal, and so on.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby Wrightfan » February 14th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Man, so many:
The Price is Right
Jeopardy!
Concentration
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
$100,000 Pyramid
Wrightfan
Let's go Mets!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Andrew
Pride Points: 9

Postby Lauren » February 15th, 2014, 3:11 am

I'm not a big fan of game shows, but I watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy every once in a while. :P
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SophieCub » February 15th, 2014, 1:51 pm

I don't watch many game shows anymore but every now and then I'd watch Family Fourtunes. :)
SophieCub
Childhood Spirit

Nickname(s): SC, Sofaloaf, Soph
Pride Points: 139

Postby Si-Amber » February 15th, 2014, 1:53 pm

I like Pointless. My mum got me in to it.
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 74

Return to The Den