Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Re: Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Postby MooLion » February 8th, 2014, 2:50 pm

I wonder what the sequel will be like... I presume they might clear up a few confusions, like with the trolls and actually give them more of a point.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby Lauren » February 8th, 2014, 9:31 pm

[quote="MooLion"]I wonder what the sequel will be like... I presume they might clear up a few confusions, like with the trolls and actually give them more of a point.[/quote]
If they do a sequel, I would like to know how Elsa received her ice powers. I don't think it was ever explained in the movie as to how Elsa is the one with the powers while Anna is the normal one since they are sisters. Did one of the parents ever have powers before childbirth? Did Elsa receive them from the trolls?
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby MooLion » February 8th, 2014, 11:39 pm

Yeah, it bugged me a little that you don't find out why the heck she has powers at all. Like I said, maybe an opening book and a few pages to give us a little backstory. I know Disney does it a lot... so actually, why not some more? It's an acceptable thing from them!
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Postby Queen Elsa » February 10th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Okay. I saw Frozen about a month ago, and LOVED it! :D Now, granted, I saw many clips beforehand, and I have to say that if I didn't, I don't think I would have liked it. It was just too rushed for me than what I imagined, from the clips and from what I imagined it to be. I will admit, the first time I saw any trailers of it, it was the teaser trailer with Olaf and Sven. I personally didn't want to go see it, but my brothers and dad enjoyed it and, when our grandmother gave us a gift card to the movie theaters, my dad said that movie was what it was going to be used for. Now, being the person that I am, I like to do some research, and found out that it had two Disney princesses in it. I was excited about it. Princess movies are just my kind of movie. (I like others, but I've liked almost every single Disney princess movie that's come out). About two or three days before we were supposed to go see it, I started watching "Let It Go" - just to listen to the song. But I found myself intrigued by the animation, and started watching many other clips afterwards, trying to not get any of the spoilers, though (although after we didn't get to see it that one day, I didn't care. I watched almost all the clips they had on Youtube).

Anyways, on to what I think about the movie itself. I love the songs - absolutely adore them. ^_^ Other than Demi Lovato's version of "Let It Go", I don't think there's one song I don't like. I see many of you don't like the CGI style to it, or that they're doll-like, etc. I personally don't mind that. The doll-like faces of the characters don't bother me one bit. I also loved the scenery in it, with Elsa's ice castle, all of Elsa's powers are pretty. ^_^ I LOVE her ice dress. It's gorgeous! :D I remember the first time I saw it in theaters, because I had seen some bad qualities of the clips, I was amazed by her dress. It was gorgeous! Now on to the individual characters (these may be long, so I'm going to put them in their own paragraphs).

Anna: A great character! I feel bad for her - being all alone for thirteen years. :( The poor child. I understand why she thought she may meet "the one" on coronation day. Her stammering is funny (i.e. This is awkward. Not that you're awkward. Just 'cause we're - I'm awkward. You're gorgeous. Wait, what?) and it reminds me of how I am sometimes. Her "falling in love with a man on the first day, and then realizing she really loved someone else" reminds me of Giselle in Enchanted. It's a great lesson for everyone, I think. And a great twist on the other Disney princess movies, where most of them fall in love with a man they just met (i.e. Ariel, Snow White, etc.). She was overall a great character. So amazing that she sacrificed herself for Elsa! :D And then she punched Hans off the ship. That was hilarious! I feel bad for her with what Hans did to her. But I'll explain that more when I get to him.

Elsa: A great character! Like I said earlier, I watched clips off Frozen, and every clip that she was in, I could feel her emotions, and they were all just so sad (well, not all, but you know what I mean). I feel bad for her. An old troll tells her that her powers can be very dangerous, and says that she must control it, and fear will be her enemy (scaring the little 8-year-old), and then, on top of that, her father locking her up for a very long time, separating her from Anna in fear that she would hit her sister, and throughout all of it, her powers only grow stronger because she's afraid of hurting anyone....It was all very sad, to see the two sisters separated and all. Now, I will admit one thing: when I had done the research and found out that they were princesses, I also read that she was supposed to be a villain, but then that changed later on. After I read that, every commercial that I saw with her in it, I always thought "how am I supposed to like a princess who's a villain?" and just always thought Anna would be my favorite. But when I started watching the clips, I instantly new Elsa would be my favorite - she soon became my favorite Disney princess of all time. Anyways, back to her character in the movie: I really liked it during "Let it Go", when she let go of concealing, and started making everything - and she made Olaf! :D Now, I'm not saying that because of his character, but because Anna and Elsa had created Olaf when they were young - the day she hit Anna with her powers, and everything else that happened. And then, she started making everything for her new place to live. The staircase, the castle itself, and then her dress. They were all well-designed, and I loved it. It's great that she cared for her sister's safety, and that's why she stayed locked away for so long (although Anna took it as something that she did that hurt Elsa, causing them to separate). But you can see, after the "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)", she really did care for her sister, and when she froze her heart by accident, you could see the fear in her face of maybe hurting her sister. And then, when Hans tells her Anna hasn't come back yet, she looks out the window, looking for Anna and having concern for her or whatever. And when Hans tells her Anna is supposedly dead, she falls to the ground, crying, which was a very emotional moment, and then when Anna sacrifices herself and /does/ become frozen, she is mourning over the sculpture of her sister. I'll stop there with her, but overall she was a great character (my favorite Disney character - favorite Disney princess - of all time), and she had some good life lesson quotes (one that I can think of right now is when she tells Anna "you can't marry a man you just met".)

Hans: He was a great character in my opinion, and even though he's the villain, he's one of my other favorite characters in the movie. When I first heard about him, I had been listening to "Love is an Open Door". He's another character that I ended up researching about, and found out he must be a villain, considering Anna and Elsa were in his enemies list. Despite this fact, I continued to like him. He was a nice guy, with him being a prince and all, as far as I was concerned. From what I could tell, he didn't seem at all evil (although, if you do listen to him during "Love is an Open Door", he says "I've been searching my whole life to find my own place" and that "with [Anna], I found my place"). When I saw the clip of him betraying her, I was surprised, just like Anna. Although, this twist just showed that, unlike in most other Disney movie, the first person you meet doesn't mean that's your true love. I understand why some of you think it was unnecessary, but without the twist, Anna would have continued to believe that he was her true love, wouldn't have even considered Kristoff to be her true love, and the whole ending might have been ruined (it was because of the part after Anna became unfrozen that Elsa realized (with thanks to Olaf), that love would thaw Arendelle). Even when Hans mentioned that he had twelve older brothers, I never thought of the number 13. But anyways, that's all I've got to say about him right now (I may think of something else later on).

Olaf: I admit, his part in the teaser trailer was funny, but not enough for me to want to see the movie. But I see his need in the movie: he was a memory of the girls' past, and he was a comic relief as well as a help in some scenes, like when Anna is locked up in the library - he not only got her out of that room, but also said that Kristoff loved her, giving her the idea that Kristoff was her true love. He was also helpful in the end, like I mentioned above, where he repeated Pabbie's line "an act of true love will thaw a frozen heart", helping Elsa realize it's love that will that Arendelle. He was a very funny character, and a great character to watch.

The Duke of Weaseltown - I mean, Weselton: Ugh. Don't get me started on him. I will admit his toupee falling down when he bows is funny, but he was the most annoying character ever. :mad: I especially don't like when, when Hans says he needs some volunteers to go to the North Mountain with him, that he offers his two men, and tells them that if they encounter Elsa, they are to "put an end to this winter", aka kill her. That made me really mad. And when he calls Elsa a monster. That is part of what made her run away, I think. Overall, I just DID NOT like him. AT ALL.

Kristoff: Not much to say about him. To me, he's just another Robert (from Enchanted) - meeting a girl who had fallen in love with a boy she just met, and telling her that he can't be her true love because she barely knows anything about him, and then later falling in love with her, etc. Granted, he was different from Robert in some ways, like he had a pet reindeer that he liked to talk with, and that he was an orphan and adopted by the trolls. He was a good character overall, I just don't have much to say about him.

Alright, I think that's it that I wanted to talk about. I think this is the longest post I've ever made. xD Oh, well.
Signature made by Marizzle.

I'm feeling...
ImageImageImage
Queen Elsa
You've lost everything

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Your father, your tribe, your best friend

Nickname(s): Elsa, NKL, NalaKiaraLuver, QE, QI, Bulma
Pride Points: 57

Postby Timon the great » April 2nd, 2014, 5:38 am

I saw this movie two weekends ago and while it is good to a certain extent, I should've known that all of this hype about the film turned out to be no more than one that is mainly overrated and forgettable.

Very honestly, it doesn't stand up at all to any Lion King film (1 1/2 included) and even the latest (if I'm correct) traditional animated Disney film, The Princess and the Frog. I can see that Frozen creators tried a little too hard to make this film good. And it doesn't surprise me either that this film isn't much of an original work.

The characters are not captivating either in which the story and music itself basically dominates them and they have almost no room to truly breathe to us. Even the most "emotional" or "moving" part of the film where Anna sacrifices herself for Elsa, didn't even make me come close to being moved or shedding a tear. It really didn't. Whereas, when Timon and Ma "let go" near the beginning of Lion King 1 1/2, has already moved me many times and made me shed a tear at least once.

But like I said, Frozen is good just to a certain extent and the troll scenes were a little unexpected which was good, but nothing more than that and really not much to value in life from it either. But moreover, mere entertainment (which isn't good), just like with the "Let it go" song and all the special FX and animation. The musical thing with the DVD/BD making of this film feature doesn't really help either.

Almost all movies that come out now are not really good anymore like the ones of the 90s and 2000s are, for example. Whenever people say a certain film nowadays is good, that can easily mean the opposite and the ones that Are truly good, are the ones that more people say are bad. This film serves as a good example of the former.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby MooLion » April 2nd, 2014, 12:10 pm

The views of a really great film has changed somewhat over the years...

Apologies if this has been mentioned around already:

Frozen has become the highest grossing animated feature to date.

'The Disney film recently reached $1.072 billion (£644.5m) at the worldwide box office, overtaking previous record-holder Toy Story 3.'

Additionally: 'Frozen, which stayed in the top 10 films on domestic box office charts for more than three months, has also now become the 10th-largest grossing film in cinema history.'

Now I am so pleased a pure Disney film has topped the charts in this way again. :) However I still don't hold that it was an amazingly well-rounded film. This should hopefully really encourage the studio to work on more films with songs again and focus more on moulding effective stories, and maybe make some right crackers!
~Banner by Amy!~
MooLion

When you put out the sun

Postby Carl » April 4th, 2014, 4:01 am

[quote]this film isn't much of an original work.[/quote]
Well, as it was based on a fairy tale written by Hans Christian Anderson, that's kind of the idea.

---

Anyway, I thought the movie was very good. It's not the best movie and it isn't completely original, but nothing is completely original at this point. However, the timing of the movie is relevant to real life struggles people are having and it was handled in a charming way that was reminiscent of older Disney princess movies, which in my opinion isn't really a bad thing. I thought it was nice.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby SlayerOfLight » April 4th, 2014, 11:50 am

What, Frozen became the #1 animated film ever? The world has gone mad....
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » April 4th, 2014, 5:19 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]What, Frozen became the #1 animated film ever? The world has gone mad....[/quote]

I do not believe Frozen is the best animated film ever, so at least we agree on that point.

The Lion King holds that place for me, but I can see why Frozen made it to the number 1 spot. I love the movie and I understand the arguments against it and I agree with them. You have to be able to criticise things you like :3
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Timon the great » April 6th, 2014, 1:33 am

^Well, from what I read outside of here, it's because Frozen's all-time gross at the cinema went over TLK 's (which wouldn't surprise me if so), and I saw someone on another site complain about this a short while back.

Me, I don't really care. Money is money. It doesn't make me see the Lion King franchise any lower at all than before Frozen was released. To me, Frozen is just not special and that good of a film like all the hype out there has claimed it to be.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

PreviousNext

Return to The Den