Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Re: Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Postby TheLionPrince » January 21st, 2014, 1:22 am

I saw Frozen about three weeks ago, and I think it's one of the better in-house Disney animated films in quite some time; it also comes close to the types of animated films I'm hungry for.

While Disney insists the story was inspired by Hans Christian Anderson's The Snow Queen, some of the story material harkened back to Wicked, which also starred Idina Mendel, with the sister feud and powerful showstoppers. There is still a bit of the original story entangled in the film with Anna looking for her sister, which makes a bit more emotional for audiences. Also, there is real-life theme messages to take away from such as the actual meaning of true love. I also loved how Disney poke fun at itself for the hero/heroine falling in love within less a day in their past animated films. The characters are well-developed especially Elsa, whom has to live with her "Midas touch" of freezing everything. Olaf wasn't as annoying as the trailers and the marketing made out to be. The songs aren't as memorable as the Disney films in the 1990s, though "Let it Go" is a powerful song about self-empowerment . It also isn't as romantic as Tangled, but I'll give it a pass since this is more of a sister-sister movie. The visuals were amazing.

My only problem was the plot twist of Hans being revealed as the villain, which I admit I did not see coming. Unlike the twist of Wreck-It Ralph, there wasn't much the plot twist had to fall back on, and I personally did not feel the movie needed a villain. If Disney Wiki's fan-submitted trivia can be trustful, it doesn't help it was likely a last addition to make Elsa more of a misunderstood protagonist. But, anyway, it was a brave move on the directors' part to make a "Prince Charming"-like character into an antagonist. I'll be rooting for Frozen to win Best Animated Feature and hopefully it doesn't lose to U2's "Ordinary Love" for Best Original Song" come Oscar night.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Lauren » January 21st, 2014, 11:45 pm

I saw Frozen about a month ago and like many others, I also liked it very much. I don't love it, but like it. For some reason, the first time I watched it, it reminded me of Les Misérables because of how the songs were sang and the music sounded a bit familiar. One of the reasons why I loved it is because of the power of sister love. It's nice to see Disney tackle a sister-sister relationship again since Lilo and Stitch and they did it very well. I loved Elsa's character arc and she became my favorite character since I can relate with her a lot on a personal level. I also liked Anna, Olaf, Sven, and Kristoff too. :)

I was so glad that Olaf turned out to be very likeable as a character and as a comic relief because I thought he was going to be annoying, which he wasn't. :)

The animation is nice and the landscapes have great detail. I am praying that it wins the Oscar for Best Animated Feature because it deserves it. Finally for once, Pixar is not going to steal the award. *Still mad that Brave won last year when it should've been Wreck-It Ralph*
Last edited by Lauren on May 31st, 2014, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby KingKivuli » January 21st, 2014, 11:53 pm

So yeah... I did finally watch this. I will admit, i heard 'Disney princess movie' and was like 'meh not for me'. The only princess move I have enjoyed is Beauty and the Beast, the others I can live without seeing again. Yet in the first ten minutes alone I was surprised and taken back. A strong story was laid out and a strong story I did get. Add in fantastic characters, mind blowing animation and perfect voice actors working with ear popping good sound track, it was a recipe for a brilliant movie. My only issue is the end felt.. rushed. Solution to issue, bad guy defeated, love made all in 5 minutes.. it would not have killed them to extend it to 10 or 20 minutes more, but this is the only issue I honestly have with it. A heart warming story with a good bit of humor. Would watch again for sure. Also I want a Sven
Yang - RWBY

Thanks Shadowfax!

My Gaming Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfr5wz ... 4qA/videos
KingKivuli
Master of Shadows

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

My darkness is light

Nickname(s): KK, Kiv
Pride Points: 68

Postby Tora » January 22nd, 2014, 12:09 am

Well today I finally decided to see it. I did like it, and I found it to be rather entertaining. I do like the fact they didn't go all Disney princess mode as usually they do. Good to see it from a more life like way then the typical fairy tale perspective. With that said it still has a lot of fairy tale likeness to it. I particularly enjoyed the ending; what made it such great ending is that it took an "act of love" to a whole new level. It took away from what we traditionally have come to think that means. Overall I think it was great movie, and I am glad that I saw it. I would definitely recommend that everyone go see it, but what was advertised as "‘Frozen’ Is the Best Disney Film Since ‘The Lion King’" I have to disagree with that. Despite it being a great and epic story I wouldn't go as far as to say that. There are plenty of other movies that Disney released after "The Lion King" that were just as good if not better. Anyway bottom line is go see it if you haven't. ;)
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Postby MooLion » February 3rd, 2014, 2:48 pm

I did like Frozen :D, but I do feel there are still a lot of Disney films better than it! I'll be honest now, if it was 2D I'd probably have warmed to it a even bit more. (NB. All my opinions about 2D and 3D are informed and mature, I don't bash 3D for silly reasoning! Not saying anyone else is here, I just want to clarify this for myself!). ANYWAY:

So it shows a positive step for Disney. I'm glad they are embracing songs properly again, as I do love Disney music and musicals. The songs aren't so great as the classics, but they're going in the right direction. The story could have done with a bit of tightening and I do wish the time Elsa was on her own, away from home was longer. Instead it rather felt rushed for Anna and Kristoff's growing like for eachother and Elsa getting used to-but-not-really to her lonely life. A storybook opening at the beginning might've been good, as well, so we had some backing for this story of a girl having random powers. Olaf wasn't as annoying as I thought he'd be THANKGOD. And while Sven was a lovely design, he seemed a little pointless, although I did like the idea that Kris had his own voice for him (seems familiar...). The Hans twist was a surprise for me and a bit random at the end. I still like him, though, because he is rather dashing for a CGI human. XD

Er... that's all I can remember to say for the moment. Personally I'm not that bothered by it being overrated by some. I just think, rather this animated film which has some care in it than so many other crappy 3D films that are getting churned out. Disney... you're going in the right direction! Keep it up... and maybe don't ignore 2D again so soon.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby InsaneSeagull » February 7th, 2014, 9:08 am

Mah. Yeah, I went to watch this, and I must say - I'm quite disappointed with the movie.

It's not that I totally hate it or anything, I just think it had nothing specially new to offer. Most of the plot was just puzzle of elements overused earlier, and quite boring. Not too many unexpected things that happened. Pretty much, the story was predictable. The characters were predictable.

I must say that that "twist" with Hans everyone mentions didn't amuse me at all, especially since I didn't really see the movie needed a villain. Was he added just to keep that "every-Disney-movie-has-a-villain" tradition? I personally think the whole movie would have function fine even without Hans appearing at all. But, fine.
"Make a twist in the movie, so at least something un-predicted happens. And add a villain, no story without villain."

Anna daydreaming about romance the very first time she was supposed to meet people? Okay, I guess that's fine but, some parts (especially with Hans) were really cheesy and pathetic. Come on, sorry, but I can't go off with something like that. True love after first day? Ironically, that often happens in Disney movies but that never looked that pathetic to me before. Probably because usually these relationships are shown as rather natural, but, in Frozen, I just have a feeling that both relationships (with Hans and Kristoff) were way too rushed, and even forced. Just like with Hans, with Kristoff too... we don't see that she even cares for him as a man, and she's totally in love after Hans rejects her? Oh, well.

The movie also had way too many songs (even more than Tangled =O), which don't have any particular worth, lyrics are simple and undeveloped. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually one of those who don't mind songs in movies at all, if they are good. But these were just cheesy, and bad. I do re-listen to them from time to time, since some of them are amusing, but no more depth than that. This doesn't go for Let It Go, I adore that one <3.

The characters' design was also quite un-unique (especially Anna and Hans), and had way too many Tangled elements. Come on, producers, why so lazy? D: Anna looks just like Rapunzel with shorter hair, and Hans... well, another Flynn Rider, just uglier.

Oh, and even though Sven was really cute and everything, he didn't seem to be quite useful character in whole. What was his purpose anyway? Just to "provide comedy" (which he failed)? Or simply because producers decided that having reindeer would be nice (I agree, but...)? Apart from that, I'm sorry to say he felt rather useless. I get that Kristoff needed company blah, blah, but if he was his only friend from childhood, their relationship should have at least been developed better. Plus, I have a feeling that he and (especially) Han's horse were supposed to copy Maximus, which is a huge bite. Again, something they failed to do, Maximus is the one and only <3 (again... Tangled).

And what with Anna and Elsa? When I first heard they are sisters I expected to actually see some develop between at least their relationship (considering, that is the most important one in the movie). But what really happened? They were very close as young, we see them playing, later they part due to Elsa's fear to hurt her, and they re-unite in the end? Touching. Really, it is xD , but that just felt way too rushed... putting some more effort in this very important element in the story was definitely needed. They should have focused on that more, and not on Anna's romances.

Anna's character. Yeah, the main character didn't seem to appeal to me at all. OK, I can be I'm a bit subjective about this, considering we are entirely different, so I can't really understand her but... She just seems a bit of Rapunzel's copy, especially the parts where she runs around, daydreams about going out and meeting people, attacking people with something blah blah. When not like Rapunzel, she's just annoying. The perfect princess who wants to make everything right? Sorry, Anna, but that's not how it goes. She just felt undeveloped to me, Mary Sue-ish even. And I hate Mary Sue-ish characters in general. They are just boring. Did they make her that clumsy and everything, just to make her seem less Mary Sue-ish?

Not to be like I'm a complete hater, they were some stuff I liked... I liked the general story, it's just that I think they didn't develop it quite the way they should have. The idea of Gerda (Anna) and (good) Snow Queen being sisters actually appeals to me, it's just that they did practically nothing to display that sisterhood of theirs, a really crucial part of the story.

I also liked Elsa's character, even though I felt it was rather undeveloped as well, but much less than the rest. She's really beautiful, and her inner struggles are something I can identify with. I generally love grey characters, and she definitely goes to that group. I understand how she feels, having to deal with her greatest fear on daily basis, and plus having to hide who she really is. *hugs Elsa*

Oh, and I loved Olaf XD . He seemed to be much less annoying that most of the comic relief characters from Disney movies, and he was actually entertaining to watch. I love how he daydreams about living during summer, (Yay, Elsa, for letting him too!) and generally he was quite well-developed.

As I already said, I also love Let It Go song, since it really shows the inner state Elsa is in, and is actually really emotional and touching, inspiring even. It has complicated lyrics (unlike the rest) and is sang really well.

And last, but not the least, I love animation of the scenery. Snow, ice, ice palace... congrats to animators for these, that was indeed amazing.

So, yeah, the whole story had some good points, but in general, it was far worse than I expected it to be, especially after reading reviews on the internet, and also after hearing opinions of other MLKers. I guess I just have different taste from the rest XD . I don't really have the will to watch the movie again, even though I probably shall someday, just to remind myself how this was. But I personally saw nothing "worth melting for" in this movie. I liked some elements, but in whole, it was just bad.
InsaneSeagull
Asante sana!

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Squash banana!

Nickname(s): Kiki, Sponge Bob
Pride Points: 105

Postby SlayerOfLight » February 7th, 2014, 12:35 pm

If only the characters weren't designed so extremely stupid and childish, I maybe would've concidered to take the movie a bit more serious. But even then I don't think it would fascinate me. Disney already has enough ''princess'' movies and we certainly don't need a new one.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby MooLion » February 7th, 2014, 6:41 pm

While I'm in the swing of it I feel like adding a few more thoughts, thinking about what KK said. :)

[quote="KristinaKiara"]I didn't really see the movie needed a villain. Was he added just to keep that "every-Disney-movie-has-a-villain" tradition? [/quote]

I suppose it was basically that. It's true the way it was going it didn't really need a villain. You could say Elsa coming to terms with and controlling her magic powers was the 'villain' of sorts in the story. The old man of 'weaseltown' also gave a bit of a nasty edge, although it didn't come to anything.

[quote]The movie also had way too many songs (even more than Tangled =O), which don't have any particular worth, lyrics are simple and undeveloped.[/quote]

I don't think it had too many. What I feel is a lot seemed to be crammed into the first quarter of the film, then there were long minutes of nothing. I can't remember if I already said that I felt a few of the songs are quite nice but there are far better Disney songs. They can work on this again. :D Also I actually prefer 'Love Is An Open Door' and maybe even 'Fixer-Upper' to 'Let It Go', although I do still quite like it.

Tangled had lots of songs? I can only recall about... four. Certainly not memorable songs from that film, although Tangled I might prefer.

[quote]The characters' design was also quite un-unique (especially Anna and Hans), and had way too many Tangled elements. Come on, producers, why so lazy? D: Anna looks just like Rapunzel with shorter hair, and Hans... well, another Flynn Rider, just uglier.[/quote]

Yeah, they could have varied the character design. Getting bored of these really round-faced, big-eyed, doll-like girls now. Hans ugly?? Gasp!

[quote]And what with Anna and Elsa? When I first heard they are sisters I expected to actually see some develop between at least their relationship (considering, that is the most important one in the movie). But what really happened? They were very close as young, we see them playing, later they part due to Elsa's fear to hurt her, and they re-unite in the end? Touching. Really, it is xD , but that just felt way too rushed... putting some more effort in this very important element in the story was definitely needed. They should have focused on that more,[/quote]

Indeed! We certainly needed to feel the bond for the sisters more. They seemed to be separated for most of their lives at that point... so yeah.

[quote]Anna's character. She just felt undeveloped to me, Mary Sue-ish even. [/quote]

She is a bit underdeveloped, but not so much as Elsa who I felt we should have seen more from. I'm not familiar with the term 'Mary Sue' over here, though I get the idea.

I wasn't too blown over by the backgrounds and animation, in truth. I'm sure some of the magical powers effects were decent.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby SlayerOfLight » February 7th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Seriously, Disney needs to stop making those stupid recent movies with doll-like characters. I remember back in the 90s when Disney animations such as Jungle book, and of course, TLK didn't look stupid at all.

If only Mufasa were real, I'm sure this is what he would have said:

''Disney, remember who you are!''
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby TheLionPrince » February 7th, 2014, 8:24 pm

^The Jungle Book actually was released in 1967, though it was re-released in theaters and home video in 1991, and on home video in 1997.

[quote="KristinaKiara"]
Anna daydreaming about romance the very first time she was supposed to meet people? Okay, I guess that's fine but, some parts (especially with Hans) were really cheesy and pathetic. Come on, sorry, but I can't go off with something like that. True love after first day? Ironically, that often happens in Disney movies but that never looked that pathetic to me before. Probably because usually these relationships are shown as rather natural, but, in Frozen, I just have a feeling that both relationships (with Hans and Kristoff) were way too rushed, and even forced. Just like with Hans, with Kristoff too... we don't see that she even cares for him as a man, and she's totally in love after Hans rejects her? Oh, well.[/quote]

The clever thing about Frozen is that they were parodying the "love at first sight" trope featured in the earlier Disney movies. Hans was supposed to come off as some Prince Charming figure, and that's where Anna gets her character development. She thinks she knows what true love is when she wants to marry Hans, but at the end, Anna finally learns the true meaning of love. But I can agree with you that the movie left the Kristoff-Anna love story gap somewhat unclosed.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

PreviousNext

Return to The Den