Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Re: Frozen *Some movies are worth melting for*

Postby TheLionPrince » April 6th, 2014, 10:32 pm

[quote="Timon the great"]^Well, from what I read outside of here, it's because Frozen's all-time gross at the cinema went over TLK 's (which wouldn't surprise me if so), and I saw someone on another site complain about this a short while back.[/quote]

Not exactly. As MooLion pointed out, Frozen recently eclipsed Toy Story 3's record of the highest-grossing animated film of all time. Frozen surpassed Lion King's box office record back towards the end of January 2014. (source) The Lion King is still the highest-grossing traditionally animated film to date.

For me, the record was going to be beaten someday, so while I am amazed at Frozen's accomplishments, box office success does not measure a film's artistic quality, and never will. This article by Jim Hill still proves Lion King is still a franchise juggernaut.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby SlayerOfLight » April 6th, 2014, 10:50 pm

^ Good to know, I almost feared that TLK was being surpassed by an animated movie about a female doll-like thing that goes through such a boring meaningless adventure that the whole movie itself should be used as an interrogation method for Camp Delta's inmates at Guantanamo Bay.

Conclusion: No animated movie beats TLK.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Lauren » April 6th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Even though I liked Frozen, it's not the best Disney film and it's not on my favorites list. Frozen doesn't even come CLOSE to the epicness of The Lion King and I think the commercial advertising for the film was a bit off since they compared this film to an animal film that's practically 20 years apart. If they compared it to a previous Disney princess film, that's fine. I think they shouldn't have done that type of comparison since it's like they pretty much ignored the films after TLK such as Tarzan, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, Brother Bear, etc. Those other films aren't good enough for a comparison to Frozen? :/
Last edited by Lauren on May 31st, 2014, 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby DGFone » April 7th, 2014, 1:11 am

Not exactly. As MooLion pointed out, Frozen recently eclipsed Toy Story 3's record of the highest-grossing animated film of all time. Frozen surpassed Lion King's box office record back towards the end of January 2014. (source) The Lion King is still the highest-grossing traditionally animated film to date.

For me, the record was going to be beaten someday, so while I am amazed at Frozen's accomplishments, box office success does not measure a film's artistic quality, and never will. This article by Jim Hill still proves Lion King is still a franchise juggernaut.[/quote]

Also, with inflation, it's obvious that The Lion King would be beaten, because out 2014 $$$ are not the same as the same value back in 1994. Using this list as a source: http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm, The Lion King is at a very respectable 18th place, while Frozen... 109th. The number one spot goes to Gone with the Wind, and the highest grossing animated film is Snow White. Granted, they do say that Snow White has the advantage of multiple releases, while The Lion King only had two, and the second one was the 3D release, so it wasn't a "full" re-release.

I am not saying that Frozen is a bad movie, but I have watched clips of it on YouTube, as well as listening to "Let it Go", and I can very easily say that The Lion King is a much better movie. I may be biased in this opinion. :P
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby AnnaM » April 21st, 2014, 5:26 am

I actually like Frozen better than TLK. TLK is not my favorite movie, and neither is Frozen, but Frozen I do like a lot. I am shifty on the Lion King, because, although it is very effective at stirring the audience's emotions through their reaction to its strong plot, dramatic art, and Hanz Zimmer's touching tunes, I myself do not think the most obvious theme from the Lion King is worthy of my support, even though it triggers my strong emotional response. I don't agree with the idea of The Circle of Life (it reminds me of social Darwinism). The theme that I do gather from TLK and support is Simba's struggle with and victory over endured abuse in order to function/fulfill his role in society, but this theme is not what I think TLK is really about, and I think TLK just exposes its audience to needless sadness without utilizing that sadness for the best of purposes. On the other hand, I find Frozen theme about true love and sacrifice to be 100% agreeable.

I ditto with the topic creator on her
*applause of Elsa for declining to bless Anna's engagement to Hans
*commendation for the movie's focus on a sibling relationship
*saluting of Disney for its design of Kristoff's physical appearance

And despite not doing research, I was NOT surprised by Hans being the villain. I knew it...just knew it.

Here is what I like about Anna and how I think her personality donates majorly to the plot's unfolding:

Anna has a passionate, decisive personality that can sometimes be too decisive and too impulsive. Her childhood impulsiveness is the cause of the film's main conflict (and that main conflict is the negative effect of Elsa's poorly managed fear of hurting Anna, coupled with her supernatural abilities, on Anna, Elsa, and Arendelle's well-being). Her expectation that Elsa would catch her without much advanced notice and without the exercise of caution directly caused her head injury. Probably due to the trolls' deletion of the incident from her memory, she pulls that same "trust exercise" scarer on Kristoff later in the film, during her adulthood. Her failure to look where she's going also causes her to "bump into" Hans, inadvertently and unknowingly bringing more conflict upon her already troubled situation.

Once Anna's decided whose side she's on, she defends it fervently. Before she warmed up to Olaf and his ability to talk, she participated in a back-and-forth throwing exchange of Olaf's head with Kristoff; however, she later adamantly speaks against such behavior: "It is NOT nice to throw snow people!"...And she sometimes just doesn't think carefully before she acts. This personality trait of Anna's again adds humor and fuel to the plot when she provokes Elsa's previously-appeased snow monster into retaliation through the throwing of a snowball despite Kristoff's warnings to "calm down." A stronger example of her loyalty to causes is found in her defense of Hans; to Kristoff's objection to her engagement to Hans, she vouched for Hans "It's TRUE love!" And she, unfortunately, continues to trust Hans until he abandons her in her vulnerability and reveals his frozen heart. And for a moment there, it almost seems that Anna will lose trust in the wrong people: the girl who once said "She's my sister; she'd never hurt me!" later says "I was wrong," upon being stricken with her powers. After Hans reveals himself, however, she pays him back with a punch--now no longer on his side. So whoever's team she's on, she fights to the death, and this is most clearly seen in her sacrifice for Elsa, by far the strongest example of her loyalty--which she kept despite Elsa's striking of her heart. But this great example shouldn't overshadow the persistence she had from the beginning, her willingness to seek and find her sister and solve their problems together in the hopes of restoring their childhood closeness and relieving Elsa of her fears.
Last edited by AnnaM on December 3rd, 2014, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnnaM
I am the flea

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

in Scar's goatee!

Pride Points: 4

Postby Timon the great » April 29th, 2014, 4:29 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"][quote="Timon the great"]^Well, from what I read outside of here, it's because Frozen's all-time gross at the cinema went over TLK 's (which wouldn't surprise me if so), and I saw someone on another site complain about this a short while back.[/quote]

For me, the record was going to be beaten someday, so while I am amazed at Frozen's accomplishments, box office success does not measure a film's artistic quality, and never will. This article by Jim Hill still proves Lion King is still a franchise juggernaut.[/quote]
You simply misread what I wrote in my post that you quoted above. I only mentioned that Frozen went passed the all-time animated film gross at the cinema, which means the movie theater/box office. And we still don't even know how All of this is all going to turn out in the end since Frozen was just recently released on DVD/blu-Ray too. The franchise has only been around for several months (vs. nearly 20 years for Lion King) and this could also affect how Disney treats the LK franchise in the future.

Even if it turns out later on that Frozen does become the highest grossing animated film of all-time or over TLK (I'm not saying it actually will or trying to start any drama with this post), it definitely won't make me freak out or see the Lion King film franchise any lower at all. But when it comes to things like this with Frozen, I am considering all possible outcomes. All in all, the keyword I'm saying here is "could". Not "will".

But on the flip side, when you really think about if Frozen is to take over later on, this could actually get more people involved or back to being involved with TLK once again like on this forum. This may sound farfetched, but I really feel that it could. So this is also one reason why I definitely won't go crazy about it, even if Frozen does go over TLK altogether. But then again, nothing on this earth lasts or stays the same forever.

[quote="Lauren"]Even though I loved Frozen, it's not the best Disney film and it's not on my favorites list. Frozen doesn't even come CLOSE to the epicness of The Lion King and I think the commercial advertising for the film was a bit off since they compared this film to an animal film that's practically 20 years apart.[/quote]
I read about this on the DVD/blu-Ray combo pack that my sister bought of Frozen and it kind of bothered me when I read that it was the best Disney animated film since TLK. It tells me that Disney itself also doesn't see TLK as their best animated film franchise anymore like they use to before Frozen came about, if they wanted to show this on the film's summary on the back of the case.

I've never seen Disney as perfect and they do have their flaws like with what I described above. Even though Timon and TLK are the exceptions to me, it still doesn't mean I have to like everything about Disney and I honestly don't.

It seems that in this day and age we live in is also affecting what Disney is seeing as "the best" in their book too. But of course, a good deal of this unfortunately involves money (and I think many will agree with this), but it seems to be even more so today than ever before.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

Postby TheLionPrince » May 1st, 2014, 4:27 am

[quote="Timon the great"][quote="TheLionPrince"][quote="Timon the great"]^Well, from what I read outside of here, it's because Frozen's all-time gross at the cinema went over TLK 's (which wouldn't surprise me if so), and I saw someone on another site complain about this a short while back.[/quote]

You simply misread what I wrote in my post that you quoted above. I only mentioned that Frozen went passed the all-time animated film gross at the cinema, which means the movie theater/box office. And we still don't even know how All of this is all going to turn out in the end since Frozen was just recently released on DVD/blu-Ray too. The franchise has only been around for several months (vs. nearly 20 years for Lion King) and this could also affect how Disney treats the LK franchise in the future.[/quote]

I did not mistake what you previously wrote. You were responding to Amy (who was responding to Nicholas) that Frozen became the "#1 animated movie ever". You wrote it off as Frozen topping The Lion King's box office record. That was true, but probably what Nicholas meant given he was likely reacting to MooLion's post, he meant Frozen has become the highest-grossing animated movie of all animated movies (without inflation adjusted).

[quote="Timon the Great"]Even if it turns out later on that Frozen does become the highest grossing animated film of all-time or over TLK (I'm not saying it actually will or trying to start any drama with this post), it definitely won't make me freak out or see the Lion King film franchise any lower at all. But when it comes to things like this with Frozen, I am considering all possible outcomes. All in all, the keyword I'm saying here is "could". Not "will".[/quote]

Well, it has become the highest grossing animated movie and it has topped The Lion King box office wise. Nevertheless, I agree with you that the acclaim and appreciation of TLK films has not been withered, and box office grossing is no indicator of film quality.
Last edited by TheLionPrince on May 1st, 2014, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby MooLion » May 1st, 2014, 1:50 pm

[quote]... and box office grossing is no indicator of film quality[/quote]

Ahh, so true.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby mamaprince » May 19th, 2014, 12:18 am

I saw Frozen, and It was disappointing. :( There was no way that this film was better then TLK... It didn't interest me, Let it go was annoying, all of the songs were. I didn't care for many of the characters either. :/ Sorry if I offended someone, but everyone has the right to their own opinion. I have the right to have this opinion.
Sig by Ninven on DA.
mamaprince
Future Storm chaser

It's the wonder of nature baby!

Nickname(s): Mp, Stormchaser Rachel, Rachel Storm
Pride Points: 18

Postby Timon the great » May 20th, 2014, 6:26 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"]I did not mistake what you previously wrote. You were responding to Amy (who was responding to Nicholas) that Frozen became the "#1 animated movie ever". You wrote it off as Frozen topping The Lion King's box office record. That was true, but probably what Nicholas meant given he was likely reacting to MooLion's post, he meant Frozen has become the highest-grossing animated movie of all animated movies (without inflation adjusted).[/quote]
I don't get what you're meaning from all of your replies after what I first mentioned about the box office thing, because it sounds very confusing to me now. The only thing I can guess from everything right now is that you were actually talking or meaning about Nicholas' responses?

Like I said, I only mentioned that I heard Frozen surpassing TLK's box office record in the beginning post of mine on this and that was it. Nothing else and either way, I'm not going to make a big deal about it.

[quote]The Lion King is still the highest-grossing traditionally animated film to date.[/quote]
Now that Frozen has officially been declared that it is the highest grossing animated feature film of all time as MooLion first pointed out from this post in this topic (in which I didn't read up-front), I feel that means nothing in today's world.

You may say otherwise and it may not have been so back, say, in the early 2000s. But still.
"I found a place that was beyond my wildest dreams. But..., it still wasn't home." - Timon; Lion King 1 1/2 (3)

Timon L. Berkowitz

Pride Points: 29

PreviousNext

Return to The Den