[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
View topic - What do you think is Overrated and Underrated? — My Lion King Forum

What do you think is Overrated and Underrated?

What do you think is Overrated and Underrated?

Postby Lauren » December 1st, 2012, 2:18 am

I'm very curious about this question and I've had it on my mind for a while. So, I'll give my thoughts onto what I think is Overrated/Underrated when it comes to movies and shows (or even actors/actress too!). Please give reasons. :)

What I think is Overrated:

- Spongebob Squarepants (Back then when the show was great from seasons 1-3, it did deserve the fame it got, but the show is not good anymore and Nickelodeon keeps airing him too much everyday. I heard that it's gonna have a 2nd SB movie and after that, 3 more seasons. It's ridiculous. SB should have ended after the 1st movie. It would have been perfect.)
- Family Guy (Like I said, I like American Dad a lot better than Family Guy and both are popular adult cartoons Seth MacFarlane created and still on the air. I feel that FG overshadows AD all the time.)
- Twilight (THANK GOD IT'S OVER. :nehneh: )
- Victorious (Please die.)

What I think is Underrated:

- ALF (It was a family sitcom that ran from 1986-1990 which follows the lives of the Tanners (kinda funny that they have the same last names like the family from Full House, which I LOVE! :D ) living with an alien that crashed through their garage and try to help him feel safe from the public. They do this because they don't want the ATF (Alien Task Force) to take him away. When it comes to sitcoms, I feel like NOBODY ever talks about this one and I don't get it. It is one of my favorite shows and it's a very funny sitcom! :) )
- Treasure Planet (My 2nd favorite Disney movie which deserves more popularity with the other movies. It has a good story with good characters (most of them), and has a strong relationship between Jim Hawkins and John Sliver. The animation is wonderful too. :) )
- Dinosaur (Same reasons like Treasure Planet.)
- Good Boy (Great movie that has dogs as the main focus of the story. Am I the only one who knows about this movie?)
Last edited by Lauren on July 16th, 2013, 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lauren

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Re: What do you think is Overrated and Underrated?

Postby TheLionPrince » December 1st, 2012, 3:35 am

What I think is overrated:

[*] "Gangnam Style" - I honestly do not understand the worldwide appeal for this song other than the catchy tempo and the dance moves. I'm not a fan of today's music to begin with, and the translated lyrics make little sense:

[quote]Oppa is Gangnam style
Gangnam style

A girl who is warm and humanle during the day
A classy girl who know how to enjoy the freedom of a cup of coffee
A girl whose heart gets hotter when night comes
A girl with that kind of twist

I’m a guy
A guy who is as warm as you during the day
A guy who one-shots his coffee before it even cools down
A guy whose heart bursts when night comes
That kind of guy

Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Beautiful, loveable
Yes you, hey, yes you, hey
Now let’s go until the end[/quote]

What do these lyrics even mean anyway? I won't even try. Overrated song.

[*] The Lion King - Yes, I do think TLK is overrated. It's not that I don't love the movie anymore, but it takes too much praise and recognition from audiences from the other Disney movies that rightfully deserve it. It sickens me that Disney movies such as Treasure Planet, The Rescuers, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame are so underappreciated, and it takes Disney years to put them on Blu-Rays, and half of time they are not even worth buying because they barely include any new bonus features. One example is the disappointing The Rescuers 2-Movie Collection release. Every time TLK is reissued on home video, it gets new bonus material. Not fair, Disney, not fair! Finally, I hate reading YouTube comments that bash today's Disney for not making good movies like TLK. It's like they completely ignore the movies they recently made that were good like The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, and Wreck-It Ralph. OK! Rant over!

[*] The Avengers (2012) - Again, I heard so many positive reviews about this movie, and the record-breaking box office numbers amazed me when it came out! If you follow the box office like I do, a $207 million box office opening is CRAZY! I do understood the hype led up to it, though. Then, I finally watched the movie, and was impressed by it! However, when I read comments on IMDb.com stating this is the best superhero movie, I had to roll to my eyes. The storyline was simplistic at best; it was almost like a Power Ranger episode. The heroes fight amongst themselves, but they join together to fight against a great evil! Seen it, heard it! Superhero movies like The Dark Knight deserve the praise they get for making storylines that are complex and dark, and require to watch it multiple time so you begin to grasp an understanding of the plot. The only things that makes The Avengers hold up were the performances for the cast, and the special effects, and compared to the previous Marvel movies, it was very good! But that's just it: it's the best Marvel superhero movie, but falls short of being the best superhero movie of all time! Another rant over!

[*] 3D technology - After Avatar was released, Hollywood converted their movies to 3D during post-production. I have seen 3D, and most of the time, they add nothing to the movies. Not to mention, the 3D tickets are so overpriced, and most of the time, it distracts from my enjoyment of the movies, and it's best to watch the movie in 2D like it was before the world invested over $2 billion into a movie with a rehashed storyline that negatively portrayed the U.S. military. I still haven't seen TLK in 3D though I heard the 3D was very good so some movies with 3D are worth it. Anyway, I believe 3D is sooo overrated, and I wish it would go away, but it probably won't because Hollywood wants more gross revenue.

What I think is underrated:

[*] Post-LK Disney animations movies (The Hunchback of Notre Dame to Tarzan, Treasure Planet, etc) - The late '90s Disney animated films, and the early 2000 ones were all good in their own right, and they had beautiful stories to tell.

[*] The Prince of Egypt - DreamWorks Animation kind off pretend this movie didn't exist with their recent computer-animated comedies with talking animals, and pop culture references. The Prince of Egypt is such a beautiful movie with dazzling animation, well-developed characters, and powerful songs and music score from Stephan Schwartz and Hans Zimmer. It's about as underrated as the post-LK Disney animated movies.

I'm kind of tired right now, but I'll come with some more.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby Regulus » December 1st, 2012, 5:26 am

[quote="TheLionPrince"][*] The Lion King - Yes, I do think TLK is overrated. It's not that I don't love the movie anymore, but it takes too much praise and recognition from audiences from the other Disney movies that rightfully deserve it. It sickens me that Disney movies such as Treasure Planet, The Rescuers, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame are so underappreciated, and it takes Disney years to put them on Blu-Rays, and half of time they are not even worth buying because they barely include any new bonus features. One example is the disappointing The Rescuers 2-Movie Collection release. Every time TLK is reissued on home video, it gets new bonus material. Not fair, Disney, not fair! Finally, I hate reading YouTube comments that bash today's Disney for not making good movies like TLK. It's like they completely ignore the movies they recently made that were good like The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, and Wreck-It Ralph. OK! Rant over! [/quote]

Ahem... screw you, good sir.

I'm sorry, but no. Just no. TLK is the best movie ever, by far. It's in the constitution on page 3, article III, section D... or something.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby DGFone » December 1st, 2012, 5:38 am

DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Regulus » December 1st, 2012, 5:52 am

That's not exactly what I meant. The Lion King is an epic, so it's good by default. But, it also has the best soundtrack of any movie ever created, along with the best art style, and best, most relatable plot ever.

All the other Disney movies are just 'meh.' They're not bad, but they're not worth dedicating my life to them. :P
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby DGFone » December 1st, 2012, 6:09 am

[quote="Regulus"]That's not exactly what I meant. The Lion King is an epic, so it's good by default. But, it also has the best soundtrack of any movie ever created, along with the best art style, and best, most relatable plot ever.

All the other Disney movies are just 'meh.' They're not bad, but they're not worth dedicating my life to them. :P[/quote]

I think that the art style in Pocahontas is better that The Lion King, but I still consider TLK to be the better movie. Why? Because the art is not that much worse, the music is a lot better, the songs are generally better, and everything combined is flawless. The Lion King works.

Versus today's audience, who are all "Battlefield 3 is SO MUCH BETTER than MW3 because the graphics are so 1337". For me, both games are horrible. Why? As a single =player focused person, the SP campaign in both games is bad, and in terms of gameplay (the equivalent of a plot in a movie), for games that are supposed to be 'realistic', they are everything but.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby WildSimba » December 1st, 2012, 6:34 am

"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Regulus » December 1st, 2012, 6:37 am

FPS games in general are way overrated.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Postby WildSimba » December 1st, 2012, 6:40 am

[quote="Regulus"]FPS games in general are way overrated.[/quote]

In general, yes, that is true. But there are still some really great FPS's like Half Life 2.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Postby Aina » December 9th, 2012, 2:02 am

What you think is overrated:
Tangled is so overrated :/ I thought it was a ok movie, but not the best. It's not that I hate it it's just that people now these days consider it as a Disney Classic. In my opinion the real classics are TLK, Tarzan, BatB, TLM and many more. Tangled wasn't really that special and the music isn't epic at all. Comparing to TLK, TLK's music and animation is amazing and epic while Tangled is more meh it just doesn't feel like Disney :S

Sorry to say this but I think that MLP FIM is pretty overrated too. (Please don't kill me!)
Well at least for now yes. I've seen an episode or two and thought that it was pretty cute, but nothing special really. And maybe it's because I see MLP fan art everyday on dA that makes it more overrated. I have nothing against MLP fans or anything like that and I respect their opinions. So I hope you guys respect mines too ;3

Shake it up :/ Not much to say just it's not Disney at all. Annoying songs and show.
I really really dislike it.

Twilight and Harry Potter

What do you think is underrated?
Like TheLionPrince mentioned before The Prince of Egypt is such an underrated movie. It's a shame really =( The animation is amazing and the music a really good^^

Sure I have more to add but I'll do it later ;)
Last edited by Aina on December 9th, 2012, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aina

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Aina
Pride Points: 37

Next

Return to The Den