MLK Writing Contest #27 [Voting]!

Which is the better story?

Poll ended at June 30th, 2014, 9:27 am

56%
44%

Total votes : 9

MLK Writing Contest #27 [Voting]!

Postby DGFone » June 21st, 2014, 8:57 am

Okay, I will have to say that I am quite disappointed by this contest, with only two entries in. With school ending for most of you members though, I guess it was all I can expect. After all, I will be the first one to say that if you need to study for an important test, then go study! Or perhaps you were simply tired after school and all that. Either way, there are only two stories in for this contest, and I am hoping that the next one will go much better. Here they are:

[quote]Story 1:
Untitled: show
No. He couldn’t have done it couldn’t he? Uncle Scar who seemed so nice this morning, helping dad in making a grand surprise for him, was what happened real? Did uncle Scar kill daddy? The whole world seemed to come down around young Simba. But no tears welled up in his eyes. Under the effect of shock and disbelief, Simba was not crying. But maybe there was a chance, if Zazu got back to pride rock for help, they could help dad! But where was Zazu? If he had gone back to Pride Rock for help, shouldn’t he be back already? Maybe uncle Scar killed him too?
If Zazu was dead too, there was only one who could tell about what happened. Simba started running to Pride Rock as fast as his legs allowed him to, but the sudden realisation tht he would never see his father again caused Simba’s tear to rise, blurring his vision and slowing him down. However, even through his tears, he could make out three grayish shapes in the distance, getting slowly but steadily bigger…

Scar was now satisfied. The Hard part of the plan had been dealt with, now he just had to deal with Simba. Expecting him to come down to see Mufasa’s body after the stampede, it was time to play the waiting game. His older brother had been a thorn in his side since they were cubs. He was the one that father loved, he was stronger, he was smarter, He was to be the king and what was Scar supposed to get? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! But oh how brilliant he was. Mufasa never saw it coming! Scar couldn’t help but give a large grin when looking at the bottom of the gorge. It however soon faded when the stampede was over. He had to get back in the act before Simba came down, but a minute passed, and another. And another… but still no Simba on view. ‘’ Probably just in shock’’ Scar told himself but another minute passed. And another. And another! Starting to realise what happened, Scar turned around on the trio of hyenas who helped him realising the well tought out plan.

-‘’Hey, uh, boss?’’ asked Banzai, politely. ‘’ What do you think about the idea that…

-‘’…Simba might after all this time have… escaped.’’ finished Shenzi

Scar already knew what had happened. There was no doubt about it with all the time that had passed since the stampede.

-‘’YOU IMBECILES! I tought I told you three clowns to…’’
He was interrupted by a quite irritating burst of laughter from Ed.

-‘’… to not report to me before this kind of thing! You have to contain the situation, now go! And don’t come back until Simba is dead!’’

This mistake could cost Scar decades of plotting and endurance over his brother’s superiority. He wouldn’t have the plan compromised because of a sickly cub who managed to struggle out of his paws. It was his turn to be king, HIS! The only reason that Scar sent the hyenas instead of going himself was that the young prince might be in sight from pride rock soon. If he was seen killing Simba it was a death sentence from the lionesses. All that he could do now was hope that Banzai, Shenzi and Ed would deal with this…

Simba’s heart filled with fear. The only animal that sported such colours he knew of was hyenas. Hyenas that were now coming straight for him. Pride Rock wasn’t very far now. Close enough to be seeing shapes of lions moving about but too far to call for help. If Simba was to have any chance to survive this, he would have to make a run for Pride Rock faster than he ever could. ‘’Come back here little kitty!’’ the cub could hear in the distance. ‘’Almost there he tought when one of Mufasa’s deep paw prints from the lesson the night before made Simba stumble and fall. It was already fading away with the force of erosion.

-‘’ Now where did we leave off before your arrogant father interrupted us yesterday, hmm?’’ Shenzi said with a large grin on her face from the satisfaction of cornering her prey.

-‘’Can’t be no silly Mufasa now! He’s at the bottom of the gorge waiting for you, isn’t he?’’ continued Banzai with Ed giving off some laughter behind him.

Sarabi was waiting at the end of Pride Rock, waiting for Mufasa’s return. It was such a good day today. Sunny with the wind brushing against her fur, nothing could make this day go bad. The herd of wildebeest was on the move again and the clouds of dust were rising from the gorge.’’ It doesn’t matter where they go’’ she tought. ’’As long as we know where they are when the time of the hunt comes.’’ But off in the grassy plains, three shades of grey were chasing after something. Sarabi tried to see what but it wasn’t close to them. Then she saw it. It was Simba, he had stumbled in one of her beloved’s paw prints. She dashed off Pride Rock, rallying the lionesses. ’’Come with me! Simba is in grave danger!’’ They could all hear it in her tone. Sarabi really was concerned and she needed help. All leaping off their resting position, the pride ran towards the hyenas save for Nala, the cubs and Sarafina, to have someone to take care of the youngsters.

Simba had never seen his mother fight before. She and the lionesses drove off the hyenas taking them by surprise and drove them off him very quickly. As Sarabi bent down to see if her son was hurt, she found him sobbing.

-‘’Simba, it’s ok. They’re gone now…’’

-‘’ No! It’s not ok!’’ he cut off. Simba’s shaky voice made most of what he was saying unintelligible’’ I was waiting for… …in the gorge… …stampede… …dad saved me… …leapt up the cliff… …uncle Scar killed dad… …then his hyenas came…’’

Even with the many lost details, all understood what happened. Scar had murdered Mufasa and planned to kill Simba too. If it weren’t for him, nobody would have known about his trickery and deceit. A young lioness went to get Sarafina, Nala and the cubs. They all went to see Mufasa for the last time, where they found Scar who immediately got back in character.

-‘’Mufasa? Mufasa, can your hear me?’’ he begged over the body as good as possible.

-‘’I have never seen someone so hypocritical as you Scar. How can you feel no grief over your brother’s death? Over his murder?!’’ Sarabi told him with a raised voice.

-‘’But I couldn’t have done such a thing now couldn’t I?’’ the lion replied, aiming his question mostly at Simba who hid between his mother’s legs

-‘’Drop the act Scar. We know you threw Mufasa in the stampede. You are a murder and you have two choices. Either run away towards the desert and never return or fight the pride to death’’

Scar did not speak of his choice. He was discovered and it was a death penalty to fight the whole pride. He gave a look of defiance to the queen and departed towards the desert where he would find little food or water. All the lionesses held their ground in silence until the murderer was out of sight in the horizon. The final respects to Mufasa were paid at Rafiki’s tree. Sarabi was more desperate than ever for her cub now. All that mattered now was that he grew up to become a king he is destined to be. The pride needed that. All of the Pride Lands depended on it…

Story 2:
Untitled: show
“Goodbye ma!”

With these two short words, Timon was off, walking on his own to a whole new world. A world that the lone meerkat knew almost nothing about, only that it was not the same as the rotten colony that he so despised. No more digging holes. No more standing guard. No more getting shouted at for another job completely ruined.

Instead, through the wall of grass that blocked his view, was a world where anything was possible. He will look beyond what he can see, and he will find a new life: one that he can actually enjoy and live on his own terms.

However, as the small animal walked into the grass, getting completely surrounded by the plant-life of the savanna, he quickly realized something that he didn't exactly take into account when he left:

He was a very delicious snack for just about everything that walked or flew over these lands.

A slight rustle in the grass on his right caused Timon to flinch, afraid that he was about to look upon a row of sharp, glistening white teeth of a predator. However, nothing emerged from the grass, and no noise betrayed the presence of anyone else nearby. Surely, if someone wanted to eat him, they would have already. But then again, perhaps they were stalking... Suddenly, as much as he hated his now old life, the comfort of a nearby whole to duck into was impossible to ignore.

Still nothing.

Timon cautiously raised his head. “Hello?” What sort of a meerkat was he, calling out to something that could potentially be the last thing he will ever see? “Is anyone there?”

No reply came. Instead, the slight breeze blew again, causing the grass to rustle once more. It sounded just like the movement that caused him to flinch in the first place. It wasn't some animal! It was just the wind!

“Aww, you silly Timon! Getting scared off by the wind. Why, you are starting to sound like yer dad!” Timon froze. Since when did he start talking to himself? How long had it been since he said goodbye to the one other creature that truly cared for him on this earth? Turning his head around, Timon wasn't able to see the mound where he had last seen Ma. Of course, with the grass all around him, he wasn't able to see much of anything. “Bah, off you go then!”

If there was nothing to be scared off, then why was he still standing here? What happened to the meerkat with romantic thoughts of a life outside a colony? Of a life not governed by fear of everything? Forcing his legs to move, Timon proceeded to walk once more away from the colony that he decided to run his back on.

He didn't need them. He was Timon! The only meerkat who chooses to live above ground! A life free of worries for him was in order, not one of constant worry of the unknown! There was that big pointy rock that he needed to get to, and he was sure on his way there, no matter who owns that particular piece of real estate! If they had a problem with Timon being there, then they better come and say it to his face, because no matter what, big pointy rock, here Timon comes!

Despite night time being the time of day that meerkats feared the most, Timon found walking under the cover of stars to be rather easy. Sure, he wasn't able to see very well, but he was still significantly shorter than the tops of the grass around him: if he can't see anything else, then everything else can't see him as well.

What was the big deal with hiding from everything anyways? Sure, meerkats made very tasty snacks for lions, hyenas, cheetahs, and just about everything else with four legs that walked the surface, but then again... what easier way for them to know that there is an all-you-can-eat buffet waiting to fill their stomachs than to spot an entire colony sticking their heads up over every hill, nook and cranny in the land? A colony of meerkats is easy to spot. A lone meerkat was not. So what was to fear?

With these thoughts in mind, Timon proudly and bravely marched on, marching towards his destiny to live a new life. A life that everyone he had left behind back in the colony were too afraid to even dream of. They all called him a fool whenever he would speak up of these dreams of an easily life, and would tell him to grow up.

Well, he will show them! Timon will be the one to find the place that is beyond where he can see, find Hakuna Matata, and perhaps even come back to bring his colony there with him! Oh the looks on their faces when it will be the idiot Timon who will bring them to a glorious paradise! Endless grub! Zero predators!

But then again, it was rather cold. Clutching his arms around his small body to try and stay warm, Timon couldn't help but wish to be back in the warm den inside the colony, sleeping peacefully and safely. The warm reassuring arms of...

“Maaaaa!!!!”

Breaking into a run, Timon chose to run. Run from what, he wasn't exactly sure. But running sure did feel a lot safer that just standing there, or even walking at a leisurely pace that he was just in. Perhaps he was indeed being stalked by something, and running made Timon stop being a potential midnight snack. Or perhaps it was simply to warm up from the cold air.

Whatever the reason, the lone meerkat ran blindly through the grass. Even his short fur protected him from being cut up by the strong, sharp blades of grass as he tore through them, but it din't mean that he was able to see where he was going. Even if he was running like a coward, Timon was still running towards his future, his glorious future!

And promptly ran into a pair of big, white, and very sharp looking tusks.
[/quote]

Voting will end on Sunday, June 29th!. With only two stories, I expect a lot of members to be able to vote! It's not a lot of reading this time around.

Voting rules are the usual: Don't vote for yourself, and don't vote for a story that you simply know was written by a friend. Don't ask others to vote for your story either. Read each one carefully and give all the stories the same consideration before you make your decision.

Good luck, you two brave authors!
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: MLK Writing Contest #27 [Voting]!

Postby Gemini » June 22nd, 2014, 8:03 am

So I get caught up in one thing, and I completely miss the deadline. *sigh* >.< I dunno, I guess that's what happens. Maybe that's for the best - I just wasn't feeling much motivation for the prompt I chose in order to get a story out there after all... At least the extension I asked for finally got others to enter. :s

Looking forward to reading these two entries! Hopefully I can participate next time around. :) In the meantime, good luck to both contestants!
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Carl » June 22nd, 2014, 6:11 pm

I tried to enter, but due to extenuating circumstances, I had to spend all of my time that wasn't spent babysitting cleaning the house up (which wasn't a walk in the park and isn't done) and only had a few breaks to do anything really, by which point my brain was too dead to write on the topics I'd had little to no motivation for in the first place...

At any rate, I'll be sure to read these and vote as soon as I can and hopefully the next contest will fare better.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Timon8 » June 22nd, 2014, 6:16 pm

It's a close one!
''When the world turns it back on you, you turn your back on the world!''
Timon8
I see carnivores...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Hakuna Matata!

Pride Points: 5

Postby electricocomics » June 24th, 2014, 12:53 am

I agree Timon8, this is a close one.
Electricocomics

electricocomics
ELC Prop Making

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

'sup

Nickname(s): electricocomics
Pride Points: 1

Postby DGFone » June 30th, 2014, 1:39 am

One more day to vote!
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Ninaroja » July 1st, 2014, 1:44 am

And we have a winner :D
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby Gemini » July 1st, 2014, 2:17 am

^ Whooooooo! No idea who it is. xD
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby Ninaroja » July 1st, 2014, 2:58 am

Me neither, actually. I'm not even sure who entered this time around... :O
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Return to MLK Writing Contest