Poll ended at March 10th, 2014, 10:55 pm

No votes
17%
No votes
83%

Total votes : 6

MLK Writing Contest #24 [voting]!

Postby DGFone » March 2nd, 2014, 10:44 am

I didn't originally plan on waiting this long to post the voting topic, but school got in the way. And with work on Saturdays, I could have easily decided to leave it for tomorrow, but I chose not to. It's very late at night right now, but hey, better late than never, right? 8-)

Here are the stories you guys will vote on:

[quote]
Story 1:
In the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle: show
Kiara laid her head down between her paws on the grass floor, the shrubbery around her hiding her from view. It was dark and damp and the perfect place to hide as she sobbed. No tears flowed from her cheeks, it was just dry, chest racking sobs, that try as she might she could not keep quiet. In only a few weeks, her life had crumbled before her very eyes. And it was all her fault.

“Princess! Princess! There you are! We’ve been looking for you all over!” she heard Timon’s voice say, accompanied by the sounds of the warthog’s plodding hooves.

“Don’t call me that anymore,” she rasped, placing a paw over her eyes.

“Er, but Princess… er, Kiara… it’s not your fault what happened. You didn’t know,” Pumbaa sympathized.

“It is my fault! Don’t you see? How could I be so stupid, so blind?! Father is dead because of me… and mother’s lost an eye… because of ME,” she ranted, rising on her paws and staring off into the distance as the pitter patter of rain droplets began to descend upon them. “If I hadn’t trusted him, none of this would have happened. Daddy was right all along, and I was just too foolish and naïve to see it. So many lives were lost, and so much pain was dealt out to both sides… and it’s all my fault… no one else’s.”

The meerkat and warthog were silent as the lioness began to stalk away into the trees. They hurriedly followed after her, calling out her name. She didn’t stop, but she was only walking, so Pumbaa easily caught up.

“Kiara, I’m not letting you out of my sight, do you hear me? Simba would want me to keep an eye on you and make sure you’re okay,” Timon insisted.

“Oh go bug someone else, would you?” she snapped, “Father probably wouldn’t care if I died right now or not.”

“That’s not true, he loved you very much,” Pumbaa chimed in.

“He did, and you know, I’m sure he still does love you, eh Pumbaa?” the meerkat added.

“Timon…?” the warthog asked suspiciously.

“Remember what he told us that night? Back before Nala came around and he went back to the Pridelands?” Timon went on. Kiara rolled her eyes as a drop of water splashed onto her nose from a heavy leaf above.

“What are you babbling about back there?” she demanded.

“Your dad told us that all the Great Kings of the past are up in the sky, watching over their living loved ones, remember?” Timon insisted. Kiara remembered having heard the same thing before herself, or some version of it at least, and she mulled it around in her head as the other two continued talking.

“But I thought--”

“Nevermind what you thought, Pumbaa, it’s not balls of gas up there, it’s all those royal dead guys,” he said, jumping off of the warthog’s back as the lioness in front of them came to a stop. Kiara tilted her head upwards, trying to see the sky through the dense foliage. It was a moot point. Everything was dark, and green, she couldn’t even tell if it was day or night. She sighed and swatted a fruit off of a branch dangling in front of her. Some kind of bird cawed and flew away in a flurry of feathers.

“Whether he’s up there or not, he can’t see me. He can’t see us through all of that,” she drawled, gesturing hopelessly at the sky. Her companions stared meekly at the canopy as the lioness started to plod away again, then scampered along behind her. At length, she came out of the thicker trees into the semi-clearing that the exiled lionesses were staying in near a flowing jungle river. There weren’t many of them left. A few of the younger girls and her mother were all that remained after their uprising against the usurpers. She flinched at the thought of Kovu on top of Pride Rock, his mother at his side with that sinister grin as his siblings stood proudly behind him, the other Outsiders lounging about in the den and on the sunning stones as if they belonged there…

“Kiara, there you are,” Nala said, turning her gaze to her daughter. Kiara winced and fought the urge to look away. Nala’s left eye was marred by a wicked wound, still pulsing bloody and red, dealt by Zira’s claws. It was hard for the former princess to face the fallen queen like this.

“Yes, Mother, I just wanted to be alone for a little while,” she said in a dead voice. Nala didn’t seem to notice the sound of it.

“We’ve caught some jungle animals to eat,” her mother said, “I’m sure you’re famished. Please have some.”

Kiara stepped over to the other lionesses and the meager “meal” before them. She was staring at a small collection of brightly coloured birds and bugs. She shuddered and held back bile that tried to rise in her throat, snagging one of the birds between her canines. The ex-Princess dragged the carcass away and then started munching it slowly. This was such a pathetic existence, she couldn’t believe what they’d been reduced to. By rights, they should be feasting on gemsbok, wildebeest, or zebra, not picking at birds and bugs like scavengers.

She couldn’t bear what had become of them, and turned her head away in disgust as Timon and Pumbaa happily tore into the bugs eagerly. The other lionesses were looking meek and gaunt, and the greens here made them all have a sickly glow. Kiara tried again to look at the heavens, wondering what her father would do.

“Dad,” she murmured, “Dad, I’m so lost. What am I gonna do? Look at what I’ve done…”

“…Kiara?” her mother’s voice answered, rather than her father’s. The young lioness looked over to the older one with tears in her eyes. “My dear, this is not your fault.”

“So everyone keeps saying!” Kiara snapped, “If it’s not my fault, then whose is it! Daddy exiled them for a reason, and I destroyed everything by not listening to him. I was rebellious and look at what’s become of us for it! Look what I’ve done! You’ve lost an eye, they’ve lost mothers, and sisters; we lost daddy…” She began to sob. “I was too stupid, and Kovu used me, just as his mother taught. I was too busy trying to do the opposite of what daddy taught to just grow up and see his reason for his actions. Evil…. is inherent. Those Outsiders… their evil comes from the same place that Scar’s did. And now, thanks to me, they have the throne. Save your pity and condolences, I don’t deserve them.”

With that, the orange lioness fled into the jungle, Nala’s pleas for her to come back trailing after her.

“Kiara, come back!”

“I AM going back, mother!”

Nala’s heart sank as she realized what her daughter had in mind. But the wear of the battle was still heavy upon her, and the few surviving lionesses, so she could do little more than hope Kiara wouldn’t get herself killed.

---

“Zira, an outsider!” the lionesses snarled as they cast Kiara to the ground before her. A sinister grin split the dark “queen’s” maw.

“Well, well, Kovu, look what the cat dragged in…” she chuckled. The dark male emerged like a phantom from the shadows, his eyes gleaming.

“Kiara…” he spat.

“Kovu…” she returned.

“Why have you come back? Have you come to beg for mercy and become a servant to the king?” he asked smugly and cruelly. The orange lioness snarled up at him and started to rise.

“I will not serve a false king.”

Suddenly his paw held her neck to the ground, her teeth cutting into the dirt and the rocks biting her gums.

“Say that again!” Zira fumed.

“If you refuse to serve me loyally then you shall be executed for violating your exile,” Kovu decreed. Kiara growled.

“I’d like to see you try,” she grumbled from the earth.

“Fiery. I like that. You know, I didn’t fake ALL of my affections, Kiara. You could still be queen, just like your dear old dad always wanted,” he offered.

“What are you doing, Kovu, NO!” his mother protested.

“Stay out of this mother. You rule me no longer. Remember, I AM THE KING. So, Kiara, what do you say? Will you fulfill your destiny, and provide me with an heir?” Kovu asked, lifting his paw so that Kiara could rise and answer. She remained silent for a long moment before looking him dead in the eyes with as steely a glare as she could muster.

“Never. You will never be Scar,” she said it calmly and swiftly, “You will never be anything more than a deluded lioness’s puppet.”

“No. You’re mistaken.”

“Your mother used you, for her own selfish revenge, and you are NOTHING but her tool. I may not be the queen, but you are not king either. It is Zira who has the throne now, and that’s on you. You’re just a pawn. You are NOTH—“

A blow to the face sent Kiara sprawling and left her speechless as Kovu towered over her.

“You’re wrong. I’m the king. I’m in full control. Don’t believe me? Then watch,” Kovu said, turning and lunging at Zira. His mother had only enough time for her eyes to widen in shock before he’d ripped out her throat and left her carcass laying on the floor of the cave. “Mother is dead at my whim. She had no power. I have the power, only me.”

Kiara was stunned. She’d not expected this level of ruthlessness out of Kovu even after he’d betrayed her and slaughtered her father, but it was working to her advantage. The other Outsiders were showing alarm, and Nuka stepped forth with an angry growl.

“How dare you! Mother taught you everything you know! You owe your life, and your throne, and your skills to her! This was her victory as much as yours and you had no right!” he spat, “You can’t kill your mother to prove a point to one of THEM.”

“I can and I did. I AM THE KING. Back down, Nuka. I don’t want you to have to join her.”

“Watch your mouth! The only reason I didn’t kill you when you were small is because of how much you meant to mother! You don’t deserve this throne if that’s how you repay her!”

With a roar, Nuka leapt and Kovu and the king met him in battle. Kiara dragged herself away from the fighting as Kovu’s supporters and those who felt anger at his murder of Zira split into factions and began to fight amongst themselves. She didn’t know if Kovu would perish, or if she’d accomplished anything really, but she’d had to try.

The sounds of battle went on and on as she made her way slowly and weakly towards the cave’s mouth. At the entrance, however, she was stopped by something on her tail. She looked back to see a wounded and angry Kovu glaring at her.

“You… you did this,” he accused.

“You’re the one who started the fighting. You killed your own mother!” she shot back at him, clawing at the paw pressing down on her tail.

“You provoked me, you started this.”

“No, it was all you were ever meant for. Scar never ruled over anything but a dying kingdom, and in your quest to be just like him, you shall have the same. It’s not my fault. The blame is yours alone,” she argued, surprised by her own logic. The male’s eyes widened and then narrowed with fury.

“NO. You’re wrong! I am destined to be great! I am Scar’s chosen one! I AM THE KING!!” he bellowed, chomping down on Kiara’s tail. The orange lioness yowled in pain and tried to pull free from his grasp even as he was attacked by one of Zira’s loyalists. Kiara kicked at Kovu’s face and pulled with all her might, and eventually, she felt herself come free, with the most pain she could ever imagine. Without looking back, she fled the scene, the destruction she’d caused filling the air. Maybe she couldn’t fix things, but she could at least get that creep out of power.

It was only when she was back in the jungle that she dared to look back at her tail and find the end of it missing. She recoiled at the sight and couldn’t hold back her pitiful lunch. Dizzy from blood loss and vomiting, she staggered weakly back to the lionesses’ glade, where she collapsed to the ground.

“Oh no, Kiara!” Nala cried out, rushing over, the other lionesses on her heels. She stopped before her daughter and reached out to cradle the younger lioness’s cheek in a paw, “What did you think you were doing, Kiara? You’re lucky to be alive… what happened? How badly are you hurt?”

“I put a stop to it. I did what Daddy would have wanted. Kovu’s reign will be over soon. And the Pridelands shall be ruled by a fair queen…” Kiara rasped.

“Oh, Kiara…”

“There is only living lion deserving of the throne… All shall bow before her...”

“Your father will be so proud…”

“The great Queen Nala.”

Story 2:
Do Not Try This... Anywhere: show
Don't Try This... Anywhere

The camera rises behind a cardboard sign proclaiming “Don't Try This... Anywhere!” and onto three creatures sitting behind a large table adorned with the same picture as the sign: A lion, a leopard, and a cheetah. From behind the camera, loud cheering and clapping are heard form an unseen audience as the show begins.

The leopard smiles proudly and announces. “Hello and welcome once more to the one and only show where we make fun of poor, unfortunate souls and their horrendous mistakes, and where you get to learn from them! Welcome to 'Don't Try This... Anywhere!' As you all know, we rely on your home-made videos on whatever you capture on film, and we are the judges on deciding just how badly someone messes up. If you don't know how our show is run... it's time to leave that rock you've been living under and step into the bright sunshine!”

The cheetah cut in. “Very carefully though.”

“Naturally!”

Then the lion spoke. “Yes indeed, and tonight for our first lesson on how not to live your life, we cut to the open savanna where a lone cheetah is making its way for a hopeful lunch.”

The camera changes from the three announcers to a rather shaky, but surprisingly in focus camera footage of a cheetah stalking a small herd of zebra. While the announcers cannot be seen anymore, their voices still provide narration over the video.

“Just a normal day in the savanna, trying to eat and not get eaten as usual,” voiced the leopard. “I have to say, I normally don't hunt from such a low angle.”

The cheetah announcer's voice quickly added, “Yeah. You never hunt anything.” Laugher from the audience is heard. “So what are we looking at anyways? This looks fine to me.”

The lion speaks up. “Just you wait until the camera guy here explains it all for you. Coming up right... now!”

The announcers fall quiet as they allow the video to explain itself. The one holding the camera speaks. “Hey, Joe, so you know how we ate yesterday?”

The cheetah in the video nods his head. “Yeah, so?”

“And you can see those lions over there who are looking very interested in us?”

“Yeah, so...?”

A loud groan comes from the announcer cheetah. “Oh come on! This is making my species look bad.”

The lion: “Oh, it's gets better!”

The cheetah announcer again. “You mean worse.”

“That's for us to decide afterwards, remember the show!”

The announcers fall quiet again as the video shows how the cheetah in the savanna charges at the zebra. The action startles the group of lions who in turn charge the cheetah. A short fight ensues which ends with the smaller cat running off, the one with the camera chasing him as fast as possible.

The video ends and the show's camera cuts back to the announcers. The lion looks proud, the leopard curiously happy, and the cheetah is busy holding his muzzle in his paws in shame.

The two non-cheetahs both turn and stare at their co-host. “We're going to let you rate this one. How stupid do you think our fellow cheetah out there was?”

Their co-host groaned again. “I know I don't hunt, but I mean come on! All cheetahs know that you never, ever hunt around a group of lions. What was that guy thinking? You learn that as soon as you are old enough to walk!”

“So the score you give it is?”

Finally the cheetah lowered his paws. “I'll give that a nine out of ten. Epic fail! Remember: when lions are around, don't eat!” He catches the lion eying his bowl of dried meat. “That's mine! Don't touch that!”

The audience laughs as the leopard clears his throat. “This one here is not on video, but we did gt it by mail, and I have the letter here...” He holds up a folded piece of paper. He opens it up and reads it out loud so that the audience can hear:

“Dear Don't Try This Anywhere. My husband, a cheetah, decided one day that he really fancies going on swims. Unfortunately, the only water where we live has both hippos and crocodiles in it. Long story short, my husband is now one paw short, and we know who is responsible. Do you know how to get that crocodile to be a nice gentleman and give it back?”

Everyone but the cheetah announcer laugh loudly, while he is alone in holding one of his paws preciously, looking absolutely horrified. “I am not rating this one! I refuse!”

The leopard is finally able to stop laughing. “Oh, you should have seen your face,” he tells his cheetah co-worker. “Just absolute shock and horror. Have you ever swam with crocodiles before?”

“No, and I am certainly not planning on doing it!”

The lion clears his throat. “But weren't you on your school's swim team?”

The cheetah glares at the lion. “What has that got to do with anything?”

“Well, if I remember correctly, there was a croc on that team...”

The audience erupts in laughter again, but the cheetah is for some reason not grazed by the comment. “All swim teams had crocodiles in them,” the cheetah countered, “Why, Bill was the kindest soul you can ever meet.”

“Three out of ten.”

The cheetah looked confused. “What?”

The lion repeats himself. “seven out of ten. Only very stupid. The rating for that mail.”

The cheetah finally realized what the lion said. “Oh, well, yeah. I can agree to that.”

The leopard picked up a remote, signaling that there was another video. “Don't swim with hungry crocodiles, folks! Now, we have another video here. This one came straight from San Diego, specifically just outside the zoo over there...”

The announcers disappear again as the video cuts to a freeway, with cars driving very fast in either direction.

A cheetah walks by.

“What? Why my species again? When will it be one of you guys?” The cheetah announcer was not pleased at this revelation at all.

“We don't make these videos up, remember? We take them as they come in,” came the reply from the leopard. “Tell your species to study up on 'lack of stupidity'.”

“You take that back!”

“Now ladies and gentlemen, what we have here is an aspiring young athlete! As we all know, cheetahs are the fastest land animals in the world! And for the upcoming games, this athlete here knew just the way to get some more practice in on the one thing readily available faster than him: an interstate load of cars!”

The lion's voice spoke up as the video showed the cheetah walk down a ramp towards the traffic. “”You know, I am rather surprised that the cars are not crawling along. You know how congested the roads over there are?”

The leopard replied. “Never been there, and don't want to. Stay classy, San Diego!”

The cheetah announcer's voice somehow came through, which was a miracle considering that he gave up trying to remain enthusiastic and loud. “I can't watch this. Just tell me when it's over.”

The video showed the cheetah chase after a car, only to very quickly veer off to the side of the road and somehow make it's way back to safety.

The lack of an audience reaction made the cheetah announcer nervous. “Is it over?”

The leopard replied. “Yes it is!”

“I don't trust you.”

“No really! It is actually over. Am I right?”

The audience roared in approval and the camera cut back to the table. The seat where the cheetah announced from was empty. The lion leaned over and peered under the table. “you can come out now,” he told his annoyed co-worker. “Scary part's over!”

The cheetah got back to his seat and saw the frozen final frame of the video. “Oh... he's alright. He mad it out alright...”

The leopard grinned. “Kinda disappointing really.” His comment got a very angry glare from his co-worker, along with both cheers and boos from the audience. “Only a five out of ten. Yes, it's stupid to try and run on a freeway and chase the cars around, but this guy clearly had at least somewhat of an idea of what he was doing. I mean, he didn't exactly run [i[through[/i] the traffic, did her now?Anyways, we have another video.”

The cheetah rolled his eyes. “Let me narrate this one: 'We cut to another stupid cheetah out in-”

The lion cut him off, reading the label on the video, looking very disappointed. “Actually, this one's says it's lions...”

The cheetah looked positively relived. “Well, finally! Come on! What is it?”

The leopard begins to narrate as an unusually clear and well made video takes over. “We come to a land in the African savanna... to a kingdom in a far away land... to a corner of the globe where the creatures are different. And have some rather strange customs-”

“That sounds very racist you know...”

“Not when you see this!”

A new announcer is herd, this one clearly someone narrating the video itself as an official spokesman:

“Spirits are high today in the Pride Lands as the citizenry is preparing to get its first look on our future leader! As we all know, King Mufasa and Queen Sarabi recently had a son, and today they will hold the time-honored tradition of showing him to the whole kingdom and the heavens above! As more and more come to fill the lands around Pride Rock, I am told that the ceremony is ready to begin and will commence at any moment! I can hardly wait myself!”

The camera rose a few feet as it panned down to reveal a gap forming in the crowd as a mandrill walked through. The animals forming the edges of the gap lowered their heads respectfully at the monkey, who reached the base of the huge monolith and began to climb up.

“This is it! We have just seen the royal advisor Rafiki walk through and begin his climb to the top of Pride Rock.” The announcer's voice grew quieter. “You can almost feel the tension in the air as everyone wait for the climb to end! Any moment now, we will get our first glimpse of the prince! Everyone is deadly quiet, all waiting for this glorious moment!”

The camera cuts to one that appears to be flying through the air in order to look down at the podium of Pride Rock. Rafiki is seen hugging the king and queen, and the three walk back inside the main den. Moments later, they emerge. Rafiki is holding something in his arms, but whatever it is, it's hidden from the camera. The monkey reaches the tip of the rock, and after only the slightest hesitation, brings out the lion cub for all the assembled crowds to see.

The camera immediately cuts back to the ground one, showing the commoner's view of the event. The announcer talks loudly and excitedly, a lot having to do with the need to be heard over the excited but very noisy cheering of the assembled crowds around.

“And there he is! We now welcome forth Prince Simba to the world! May he lead our Pride Lands with wisdom and power in the future and for generations to come! This is just the most glorious of events right now, I can hardly figure out what to say myself! This is just so exhilarating!”

As if to remind the viewers that they were watching a show that was not about the presentation ceremony of a price Simba, the voice of the leopard speaks over the commotion. “Wait, how did this get through our editors? Nothing went wrong, and yeah, I know some lion prides have been known to do some strange stuff, but, well... there's nothing to talk about!”

As if to prove him wrong, the video suddenly zoomed in very fast towards Rafiki. A collected gasp came from the crowd around Pride Rock. The lion cub that was being held up slipped a little, and before Rafiki could recover, prince Simba slipped through the monkey's hands and fell down.

A cry of panic tore through the crowds as the video froze. Then the camera cut back to the three announcers. Now it was the lion's turn to look horrified, while the cheetah was frozen in shock. For some odd reason, the leopard was bust laughing.

“I knew it!” The leopard cried out in between laughs. “I knew something was going to happen!”

The cheetah unfroze. “What are you laughing at man? They just dropped that cub to his death! Do you have no heart?”

The leopard continued laughing as he pounded the remote with a paw. “Cub ended up alright,” he finally gasped out. “They apparently had some kind of safety netting for this very reason. Very hard to see stuff, but it did the trick. Or so I heard.” He took a few more moments to calm himself down. “Besides, we didn't hear anything about dead royalty in the news lately, so we can safely assume that the safety netting is in fact real. What would you rate this video as?”

The lion shouted before the cheetah can give a rating. “Ten out of ten! Utter disgraceful!” He was positivity furious about it. “In all my life, I had never-”

What he had never exactly, the audience didn't find out because the camera panned up and back behind the cardboard sign as the leopard spoke up again for the last time.

“That's all we've got for now folks! We'll see you next week!”

“Hey, wait a minute! How come we never saw any leopards doing stupid things?”

“'Cause we're smarter than that. Good night everyone!” The ending them played as the credits scrolled and the screen finally went dark.

Story 3:
Darkness: show
Darkness

”What is your destiny?”

“I will avenge Scar... take his place in the Pride Lands.”

“Yes! What have I taught you?”

“Simba is the enemy.”

“And what you must do?”

“I must kill him.”

So, everything seemed pretty obvious. Pretty easy. Vitani and Nuka are about to trap the little princess. The princess can’t save herself, someone has to do it instead. And here I come, to save little princess; now Simba has a little problem. Cause now he has a debt to pay. So I enter the pride, everyone believes I left the Outlanders and I’m sticking to the good side. Then I kill Simba and take the throne. Outlanders come back home, finally. Scar is avenged. I’m the king, as it’s supposed to be. So everything seems easy, I just have to do him.

Long trainings paid off well, so far I’m the best fighter. Except for mother and Vitani. Maybe she’s a chick, but when she’s about to hit you, leave everything and run. Don’t mess with her. I bet she could easily kill Simba just by herself. The rest of us are pretty good too (maybe except for Nuka) and that’s because we have to be ready for everything. If there will be any battle between us and the Pridelanders, they have NO CHANCE. But we don’t want a war this time. Only one lion will die, and that will be this traitor Simba. I’m not sure what we’ll do with Nala, but I guess she won’t give up without fight. I suppose Zira or Vitani will solve this problem, never mind. The main target is Simba. He deserves it. After all those things he did, after he killed Scar and banished us, forced us to starve in a dryed desert… Finally, we’ll get back our pride and kingdom. And I’ll be the one to make it succesful.

Just we wait til Kiara’s first hunting day comes. It had to be some time ago, but the little princess haven’t got final permission. Seems that Simba is too worried about his pretty daughter to let her walk by herself, how funny. If he only knew what’s going to happen… Anyway, Vitani is the best spy ever, I wonder how’s that possible they’ve never seen her in the Pride Lands, she was literally creeping into the Priderock. But it ain’t news they’re as blind as they could be.

Luckily for me.

Sometimes I wonder how much I resemble Scar. Mother keeps saying I’m just like him, but I don’t know if it’s true. He wasn’t my father, he just decided to adopt me. I have no idea who I was before that, where I came from and who was my real father. I was a stupid little cub during Scar’s reign, so I don’t remember anything. I didn’t spend too much time with Scar, soon he died. I can’t remember when I actually was when this happened. I have some blurred visions in my mind, mostly fire and escaping hyenas. Simba returned, the Pridelanders turned out betrayers, hyenas ran away.

Simba killed Scar. I don’t remember it at all, but surely Nuka saw his body after that…

Mother told me also I remind her of Scar in voice, smartness and sense of humour. I don’t know. I barely can remember his face and voice. I think Nuka more resemble him. He was the eldest, he should be a king (that’s even what he repeats all the time). I know Nuka is horribly jealous, everybody knows it. Sometimes I wonder why the heck Scar has chosen me. Me, not Nuka or Vitani (though when I look at Nuka, I kind of start to understand why didn’t he choose him). I was an orphan, he didn’t have a time to get to know me well. It was his dying wish: me as his follower. I knew it was a big deal. A great responsibility. I couldn’t spoil it, there was no way to disappoint my pride.

Maybe the thing that unites us is the ability to shut up and do what we have to do. The cold blood, the aim, the anger. No fear, no weakness is allowed. I’ve heard so many times that Scar was a great king, who never gave up, always was ready to face the danger. I had to be like him: to hide my doubts and go ahead.

But after all, this whole king case, it’s pretty boring.

“You must do it quick, but you mustn’t let anyone see it... You must kill him when he’s alone. If they see it, they would help him. He might come alive and you would be all by yourself, without any help of Outlanders.”

“I know, mother. I’ll do it...at night or maybe in the early morning” I replied slowly, remembering all what Vitani said: he enters the cave last, then sometimes he wakes up after the sunrise and goes to a waterhole.

Zira smiled proudly.

“Great,” she said. - “Vitani will be over here. When you kill him, she’ll call us, then we all come back home...” mother smiled even wider. I knew how that was important to her, so I was even more determined to accomplish my mission. “To get him, you must abandon all the right thoughts and trust your instinct, Kovu. You must put the fear behind you. Treat him as a target. It’s a hunt, the only difference is that you’ll hunt a lion this time...”

“I’m not scared.” I replied, straightening.

“I know,” said mother. “Scar would be so proud of you.”

Finally, Simba decided to let his little daughter go and wander in the grass by herself. It must have been a miracle. He had no idea how big mistake it would turn out.

Kiara couldn’t get away too far from home, knowing her lack of any experience in hunting or just exploring savanna (I could bet she didn’t even know the names of directions), but I was aware of that she wouldn’t manage even to touch her prey and might probably land in other part of the Pridelands, near the borders; I have to be careful and notice her quickly enough. The rest is my siblings’ job. There are little exploding craters in the Elephant Graveyard, giving enough fire to lit the branches, which you can take simply everywhere. Vitani and Nuka will use them to set the grass on fire. The flames spreads around very fast, so I’m almost sure Kiara will get trapped. To be honest, it would be a big surprise if she’d manage to escape...

We were waiting, me and mother, sitting on a little rock in the higher part of savannah: we had a good view on what was going on. I saw a shade of two dark silhouettes in the distance, setting everything on fire. Then Vitani and Nuka got away, Zira said it wouldn’t be good if someone notice too many Outlanders wandering in the Pridelands. I watched the fire absorbing everything around, feeling the warmth and suffocating scent of smoke. The animals were desperately trying to escape, I could hear their cry for help even from that big distance. What would I do in their place? Would I be scared? When I looked at this hell in which I had to dive soon, I didn’t feel anything. It seemed so neutral that it made me wonder for a while, is it alright? Maybe there’s something wrong with me...With the one that can’t feel anything, no fear, just a need to kill...

But then I looked at mother and it reassured me there’s nothing wrong: she didn’t seem to be scared of some flames, either.

“The plan is in motion...” she whispered, grinning. “Go.”

Well, it wasn’t that easy. To get there, carry the barely adult yet still heavy enough lioness on my back, find the safe place and not letting the fire touch not only her, but also my skin – maybe mother’s plot was good, but spirits, I wouldn’t repeat it. I was deadbeat.

I had to cross the river to get into the Pridelands, thanks spirits it wasn’t full of alligators this time. When my paws touched the steady ground, I felt a little dizzy, but I had to play my role, the princess was actually awakening.

“Where am I?” she spoke irritatingly weakly. Oh my, she was even more defenceless than when we met a year ago.

“You’re safe...in the Pridelands.” I snorted unpatiently.

“Why did you bring me here? Who do you think you are?” she yelled with this pathetic voice of pissed off princess. Seems her beloved daddy taught her well to hate those damned Outsiders.

“I think I'm the one who just saved your life!” I replied, not even trying to hide my irritation.

“Huh! Well you better get out of here, how did you dare to think you’re entitled to be there? Who are you?” I rolled my eyes. Seemed that all the attempts of ignoring her wouldn’t work. She was always like this, kind of sassy and careless princess. I remembered this first time we met: we were cubs yet. She crept into the Outlands, no one knows what for, and almost got straight into the jaws of alligators. If not me, she wouldn’t be alive (again! I saved her TWO times. She should be more grateful, really). Kiara didn’t know anything about life. She lived in this paradise, knowing nothing about hunger, pain and fear. She had everything. The future, the whole family all around her, always by her side... She didn’t have to be careful. I bet she never even had an occasion to use her claws in any situation.

Now, one year and half later, I could see nothing changed. Maybe she grew up a little, that’s right. Despite her never-changing character, the only thing that seemed new to me was that she resembled Simba a lot. She had his pale orange fur, bone structure, the same orange-reddish eyes – and lack of grace, wariness, shrewdness. The thing that could make one wonder was will she follow her father’s footsteps, will she become the same brutal tyrant? Nah...When I looked at her, I couldn’t imagine her even as a future queen, I could see only a lost cub running around the Pride Rock, not even knowing what is she doing here.

Maybe Kiara wasn’t someone who could ruin my plan, but at the same time she was irritating little kid I had suddenly to deal with, to complete all this plan correctly. I only hoped I won’t have too many occasions to stay alone with her later, cause I swear to spirit of Scar, I would lose my mind.

“Chill out,” I said finally with bored voice. “I thought names aren’t important to kings and queens. At least not for kings and queens of yours... Well, they seemed to have enough just having the right to give forces, didn’t they?”

“Uh! That was rude! Stop insulting my parents! Get out of here!” Kiara turned around, being about to get away (straight into the river, speaking of direction), but I stood in her way, again and again, that was a part of my plan, maybe some memories will come to her brainwashed mind.

“What are you doing?” Oh, finally. She understood. Congratulations.

“Kovu?” she looked at me with dumb smile, completely changing her tone. I don’t know which part of her was worse, this angry princess-like glare or cheerful (and trustful? Oh holy) look, but I’m sure both of them are equally irritating.

Yes, I did it. I can’t believe it worked. Some ranting about being prejudged and will to stick to the good side always helps. They took me in the herd, though Simba didn’t want to accept it, he ain’t THAT stupid however. He knows we’re planning something. He’d probably get into fight with me if not Nala and...yes, and Kiara. I can’t understand this kid. First she screams and spits at me, but when hears my name, she consider me as her friend...How naive.

Simba didn’t allow me to sleep in a cave, like the others. I had to stay outside and believe me, nights in Africa aren’t the best time to get a nap outside. While I was shaking from a cold a little, there came Kiara, such a great surprise. Princess wanted to thank for saving her from fire, finally! Then I commented her weak hunting abilities, I just couldn’t forbear from that. And that was a mistake: she wants me to give her a few hunting lessons. Yeah, I can see it. I better kill Simba as fast as I could if I don’t want to be bothered anymore.

But in the morning I learned she wasn’t kidding. I had a perfect occasion to corner the tyrant: he went out to have a little drink from the waterhole. Great. No one else around, just me and my enemy. This would be quick and even painless; no one would hear a single scream for help. I raised my claws, ready to attack, but then I was attacked by someone else. HER. Of course, she had to stand in my way with all her giggling and that sort of thing, just before I was about to pounce. Simba disappeared magically, I stayed with her alone. I lost the perfect opportunity... Damn.

The next twenty minutes were just a nightmare. I promised to give her those stupid hunting lessons, so I had no way. Maybe when she learns something, she’ll finally leave me alone and I’ll take care about Simba...

“GOTCHA!”

“I’m amazed” I muttered, as the princess hit the ground right after I ducked. “Hey, can we stop finally? No offence, teaching you to hunt is very interesting, but I’m not about to waste my whole day.”

“What?” Kiara gave me a surprised gaze.

“Don’t lie to yourself, you won’t do it, at least now. You’re pathetic, deal with that.”

“B-but I thought...” she whispered and then went quiet, her smile disappeared.

“Can I go now? Princess?” I snorted, straightening.

“Can’t you show me it all again? For the last time? Please...”

I wanted to deny, but I finally agreed (what for?) and repeated everything again.

“Relax... feel the earth under your paws... so it doesn't shift and make noise....You have to be careful, be concerned about small things cause they’re important. Like your paws, claws, your breathe, they way you step...” then I saw a flock of birds flying in the near distance. Not the best prey, but maybe this helpless one needs to see a good hunter, not to listen to him...

“Watch the master...and learn...” I added and started to creep up the little hill. What happened next wasn’t really clear for me. We met a meerkat and a warthog, who were walking around and digging for worms and (I could predict this) seemed to be Kiara’s friends. Okay, have I said Kiara is the most irritating thing walking in Africa? Well, I didn’t know about Timon and Pumbaa yet. I only managed to figure out they’re kind of Kiara’s babysitters and they’re having problems with birds. They love to eat worms, but the birds also love to eat worms and they all don’t get along. It was so stupid that it hurt to look at it and I was half shocked about what am I forced to experience, half (more than half) done with it all and wanted to run away from here. Kiara didn’t seem to have any problem, she was eternally delighted with everything, giggling all the time. What was so funny? Things started to get worse when this meerkat spoke to me:

“You wanna lend a voice? Huh? Grrr. Roar! Work with me!”

No, that was just beyond stupid. I looked at Kiara, searching for any help, but then she roared, making all the birds scatter.

“Wooo hoo! C'mon, do it again! Do it again!” the meerkat was shouting, the birds were escaping, the warthog was also doing some senseless things, and then, not knowing wy, I gave up and roared too, feeling contageous. Kiara started to run down the hill, I followed her, completely confused.

“Why are we doing this? What's the point of this training?” I spat, trying to figure out what was going on.

“Training? This is just for fun!” she laughed.

“Fun?” I repeated. No, that was just beyond me. I stopped instantly, speaking: “No, no. Wait a moment.”

“Kovu, come on!” she stopped too, a few yards from me. “What’s wrong?”

“This...this is just pathetic.” I snorted sarcastically. “Great. FUN. I’ve NEVER had so much FUN.”

“What are you talking about?” Kiara frowned, coming closer.

“Heeey! Are you coming or what?!” shouted the meerkat.

“Tell your little friends that they have to do it on their own,” I spat. “I won’t take part in this kind of entertainment.”

“What’s the matter with you?”

“You all try to change me. No, you try to make me as...foolish as you. It’s senseless! Spirits, I’ve never thought a one could waste time like this...especially king’s daughter” I added sarcastically.

“You never have fun, do you?” she narrowed her eyes, but she was just watching me carefully; her voice was soft, maybe a little bitter, but she didn’t seem to be offenced. “You can’t see any sense in ANYTHING. You just passively watch as your life is flying by... You can’t see the beauty in small things. But...maybe you should try to?”

First I only chuckled, but then I couldn’t take it, I burst in sarcastic laughter.

“But you’re gonna try,” said subbornly Kiara. “I will help you. If after a one day spent with me you won’t have any fun, you win. But I won’t give up. I will make you see the sunshine.”

Oh holy. No.

I learned if Kiara makes up her mind, she INDEED never gives up. She took me to every boring place in the Pridelands, forcing me to admire the beautiful views and to speak to stranger lionesses, who were glaring at me and was about anything but talking to me. I didn’t know whether to scream, cry or try to escape – but there was no escape from Kiara. We were walking til the sunset, then she forced me to watch the stars. Huh! What an idea... But...well, it was a new thing to me. I would definitely enjoy this moment, but without Kiara.

“There's one that looks like a baby rabbit. See the fluffy tail?”

“No.”

“Come on! You HAVE to see it!” she almost glared at me.

“Maybe there is a...fluffy tail, maybe not...Who cares anyway? Who cares about rabbits in the stars? Phhh.”

“Can’t you just for once in your life think anyhow but logical? It’s not about rabbits! It’s about beauty. BEAUTY! Stars are beautiful.”

I didn’t answer. I stood up and looked at the Pride Rock in the distance; where was Simba now? It wasn’t that late, maybe he hasn’t entered the cave yet...Maybe I’d be lucky enough to corner him somewhere... Spirits, I just wanted to go home, get along with my sister, even Nuka, my friends from the pride.

“My father and I used to do this all the time. He says all the great Kings of the past are up there.”

“What?” I looked at Kiara and added quietly, confused: “You think Scar is up there?”

“My father said there was a... a darkness in Scar that he couldn't escape” she replied softly, getting closer to me. I didn’t like that soft tone, I didn’t want any compassion. What darkness? He just tried to have a better life, have a family. But there came his nephew and took him almost everything away...

Suddenly, I felt a soft touch: Kiara nuzzled into my mane. Oh, spirits. What was she thinking of?

“Liar!” I growled angrily, moving back with a pure disgust. She looked at me, completely confused.

“What’s wrong? Who are you calling liar?”

“You!” I shouted. “You’re all liars! You have your sick groups, your sick point of view, your stories, your explainations, your good and bad category, but you’re liars, you lie about everything. You lied too! All your happiness, all your love all the small things is a lie.”

She was silent for so long that I thought she’s actually understood she prejudged me. Just like Simba, but in the other way. But then she spoke and I don’t know if I wanted to hear it:

“But why? Why can’t you just...why do you have to hate everything?”

“I don’t know” I shrugged and chuckled sarcastically: “Maybe there’s a darkness in me too.”

“Maybe...maybe you don’t have to like everything...enjoy everything...but couldn’t you like just one thing? Or...one person?”

I didn’t reply, staring at the grass under my paws. Right now, everything seemed senseless. Why did I have to come here with her, why did I have to waste my time and her time. I knew what she wanted so say, but I couldn’t be with her in any way. Not even because she was stupid and irritating. I didn’t feel I would be able to love anyone.

“But...Kovu...” she started again, as if she was knowing my thoughts. Her voice started to shiver a little. “I thought we...me...and you...”

I looked at her and slowly denied.

“No. I don’t think I could.” Then I turned around and walked away.

I don’t remember how I got back to the Pride Rock, it might last for minutes, seconds or maybe for years. But as I was approaching to the rock, I made up my decision. I had a plan. I had a mission to complete. A family to care about, a pride to provide good conditions to live, the enemies to punish and dead friends to avenge. That was my responsibility, my destiny. I was this chosen one – and I didn’t thought about that title like about something glorified and great, but I just knew it means that I am the one that can make a change. No matter if something could go wrong, no matter if Nuka could turn against me, no matter if the Pridelanders won’t accept me and maybe will have their own plot against us, maybe the war won’t ever end. Maybe I won’t be a good king, I don’t know. But I knew one thing: there was no “good” or “bad” – cause there’s no good without bad. The important thing is what I was fighting for. And I wasn’t doing it for my case, but for my family’s case. And...I don’t know. Maybe I can’t find any light in the tunnel, maybe I can’t enjoy stupid things. Would I be happier if I could? Maybe. But I bet I would overlook many important things.

When I climbed on the massif, Simba was actually waiting by the entrance, looking at me...pleasantly? Except for him, no one else was around. Suddenly, my own voice from the past sounded in my head: Relax... feel the earth under your paws... so it doesn't shift and make noise. Such an irony...

“Hey, Kovu!” started Simba, his voice was shockingly kind. Has he changed his mind? He wanted to become my friend? A little too late... “Where is Kiara? Have you seen her?”

“Well, I was just walking with her,” I replied politely, raising my claws. “But someone stopped her under the Pride Rock, she told me to go and tell your majesty that she’ll be here in a while...”

“Alright...But she’d better hurry...It’s getting late.” The redmaned lion looked around and then smiled suddenly. “It's... kinda cold tonight, huh? Come on.”

„With a pleasure” I smiled, tensing his muscles, ready to hit. “But I’ll come without you” I added in my thoughts and pounced at him.

Story 4:
Untitled: show
The tepid breeze coursed through his fur as he turned his face towards the fading sun. In that direction was the Pridelands, wherein king Simba and his harem took residence. His fur bristled at the thought, and he took off for it at a steady pace. He would have to remain clandestine, lest the hunting parties spot him; besides, getting caught wouldn't do - he had been training for this his entire life, and as far as he was concerned he had no other purpose.

Though he was under his mother's duress, ending Simba's reign was as much his dream as it was hers. The king was munificent with his own subjects, but when it came to others he was less merciful. Kovu knew this well, for him and his family had been subject to exile for many years - and if what he heard about the hyenas was true, then Simba's racism, which was the only thing Kovu could classify it as, was continuing a 'tradition' that had been started by Ahadi many years prior.

It disgusted him that one could be so ignorant, so avaricious as Simba was. The Pridelands held more than enough water and prey to satiate every predator under the sun, but due to his foolishness, he refused to see the simple truth; so many like the Outlanders or the hyenas had to sup on carrion, leaving them emaciated and infirm, whilst the Pridelanders grew fat on all the food they could ever eat. Kovu shook the thought from his mind and picked up speed. He couldn't allow himself to be overcome by his emotions, for if he grew angry, he would surely bollix up the job.

By the time he reached the borders of the Pridelands, the sun cast its last rays of light over low, distant hill-tops. It would do well if his approach was ensconced in shadow, he thought, for close observation had shown the Pridelanders were more active during the day than at night. The night was when the king slept, and if he could slip in undetected, it would be all that much easier to claw open Simba's throat and leave afore anyone knew what transpired - after that, his mother could move in for the coup d'état. 'An assault during the day is hapless.' she had said to him. 'You must be deft like the wind, and as powerful as the storm it forebodes. When the destruction is dealt, you will be gone without a trace.'

He decided to take a moment's respite, so he slunk into the umbrage of a small coppice. Thither he found a pond, and he lapped up as much as he could drink. The water in the Pridelands tasted wonderful, he reflected. It was much the antithesis of his usual fare, which tasted like excrement - and that was on the good days. Most of the time the water in the Outlands was almost caustic and unfit to drink. He had known a few that died from dehydration; some of them were his friends.

Slowly he got up, then he resumed his quest. Pride Rock loomed in the distance, its sight wondrous to behold. At this rate, he conjectured he should be there before midnight. He wondered if he would be able to escape after the deed was done, or if he was marching towards his death. Either way this needed to be done - he would not be doing only his family a favor, but one for the entire animal kingdom as well. There was also something else that he couldn't help but mull over: how he would gain access to the king's den. His mother had apprised him of a postern that was reported to exist, and it seemed the most convenient route; whether or not it was actually there no one knew for certain, but he would find that out soon enough.

A couple of hours had passed, and the moon was slowly trailing up towards its zenith. He was relatively on time, though an unexpected river had impeded his progress. Luckily he was able to ford it, else he might have been delayed until sunrise. Pride Rock now stood imperiously above him, and as he gazed up at the rock wall, he couldn't help but feel amazed. He slinked around to the edifice's backside, and then he paced around, searching for any sign of the postern. Several minutes went by, and he came up with naught - if this postern existed, it was by no means conspicuous - though he supposed it wouldn't be a postern otherwise. He sat, and then he stared hard at the rock, scrutinising it for any fissure or vestibule, and then he saw it: Going up its side at a giddy angle was a tenuous switchback, barely discernible in the moon's pallid light; at its cusp was what appeared to be an opening, no doubt a way into his majesty's lair. Kovu grinned, then proceeded to climb at a slow pace. Prudence was key here; he couldn't slip to his doom when he was so close to victory.

A few times his paw caught a loose rock and he stumbled, but mostly he ascended with ease. He was nearing the top when he decided to turn and get a look at the Pridelands. Before him was a vision he could only describe as pulchritudinous. Below, small rolling hills stretched to as far as the eye could see. Acacias dotted the land, their leaves swaying torpidly in the cool nocturnal air, and all about could be seen lakes and sinous rills, sparkling under the moon. While the night left it shrouded in gray, he knew the verdure was beyond anything he had ever seen, and if he failed, would likely ever see again.

He stalked past the entrance and into darkness, his eyes taking a moment to fully adjust. The air inside was warm, and as he padded along the tunnels he couldn't help but feel a sense of security; it reminded him of quondam days when he was still a cub. Sadly Kovu couldn't remember much about those days, but the little he could recall involved Scar. Though he was an austere individual and seldom had patience for cubs, him and Kovu got along well enough - whether it was because of Kovu's semblance to him or for some other reason he never knew, but Scar treated him as if he was a son. The lion sighed. Scar was long gone, dead at the paws of Simba; if he wasn't doing this for his family, then it would be for himself.

At the end of the tunnel he came to an opening. Furtively peeking inside, he saw that it led to a commodious, vaulted chamber. All around were lionessess, curled up or stretched out - some of them were snoring, but all were fast asleep - this was no doubt Simba's harem. For a moment, Kovu wondered if he'd be granted any of them as a reward. They were all attractive, he noted, but none really struck his fancy. There was one that appeared more attractive than the others; she was seated upon a slightly elevated dais, her muzzle rested atop her paws. He knew in an instant that she was Nala, the queen of the Pridelands, and in realising this he also saw that Simba wasn't by her side. Addled, he further perused the den's inhabitants only to find that he was nowhere in sight. He stepped into the room, doing his best not to trip on the bodies that littered the floor. He looked out of the den's main entrance, and thither was Simba, perched atop Pride Rock's precipice, his silhouette illumined by the moon. Kovu mentally chuckled at how easy his job had become; he could simply push Simba off and that would be the end of it.

He left the den's interior and quietly crept up towards the king. He seemed to be just sitting there, silently gazing upon the stars. Kovu wondered if the other lion was even aware of his presence, but he seemed to be lost in his own little world. Unsheathing his claws, he made his way towards the king. "I know who you are." Simba said before he could move in for the kill. Kovu stopped in his tracks, face contorted in discomfiture. "You're here by Zira's bidding, sent to murder me in my sleep."
Kovu chided himself. He wondered how Simba knew of this information, and what consequences it signified. For a transitory moment, the thought of his mother being held captive passed through his mind. It's not possible. he told himself. She was there when I left, and well guarded - Simba couldn't have taken her so quickly. "Please, come sit." Simba looked back at him and smiled. Flustered and feeling defeated, Kovu walked up to the king tentatively. There was no harm in it, he supposed; and if need be, he could still toss the king to his death. Sitting by his side, Kovu descried the world below. It was a long fall.

"Tell me, what do you hope to accomplish with my death?" Kovu glowered at the lion next to him, wondering how he didn't know. "Surely it's obvious."
"I'm afraid it's not." The king smirked.
"Then perhaps you can ponder it in the afterlife."
"Do you think Zira can hold the throne for long?" Simba looked obsequiously at the other. "Even if you kill me, Nala would take my place; and if you managed to kill her, Kiara would take hers. My successors are many, and you would have to kill the entire pride before Zira could claim herself as regent."
Kovu seemed abashed. His mother hadn't considered the possibility of multiple successors, and it certainly put a new perspective on things. "That didn't stop Scar."
"Scar had the hyenas at his back, and they were many. While I've seen the Outlanders, I would not consider your numbers a threat."
"Numbers aren't everything." Kovu scoffed.
"You're right," Simba assented. "Numbers mean nothing if you don't know how to use them. Scar learned that the hard way."
The younger lion cringed. "You murdered him and claimed the throne; how would me killing you be any different?"
"I didn't murder him; he was my uncle, and killing him was the last thing I wanted."

"Then why?" The information came as a surprise to Kovu. Zira never told him that Simba was Scar's nephew - and he now realised that the king he intended to kill all along was more or less family. Then again, it seemed like every lion was somehow related. "Scar was consumed by his greed." Simba replied sadly. "He didn't know when enough was enough, and when it came down to it he couldn't govern. He let the hyenas roam unchecked, and they over-hunted to the extent that much of the herds were driven off. These Pridelands became a wasteland, and many of our people starved. When I left as a cub, these lands were virid and rife with all manner of fauna and flora - when I returned, it was almost indistinguishable from the Outlands, no offense intended.
"I confronted him, and words were exchanged, some less civil than others. In my doing so, I learned that he was responsible for killing my father, the former king - for years of my life, I thought his death was my doing - so when I found out the truth, I was enraged and heartbroken, because I loved my uncle almost as much as I loved my father. Even with this knowledge, I did not wish him harm, and so I gave him the chance to renounce his title as king and leave the Pridelands. But stubbornly he refused, and we fought - when I tossed him off the ledge, it was an act of defense - if the battle had ceased before either of our lives were taken, I still would have let him go. So for you to say I murdered him, I find that insulting."

Simba seemed to be on the verge of tears, and Kovu too was moved by the tale. Simba was more merciful than he could have possibly imagined, but still one question rankled in his mind. "Why did you send us to live in the Outlands? Many of us were cubs, innocent and not deserving of such a punishment. We live day to day dying of starvation and dehydration, and some of us just want a better life for ourselves."
"It's not an easy task sending a family to their potential death, but it had to be done. Zira was their leader, and Zira was an avid follower of Scar - I simply couldn't allow them to stay here any longer. But make no mistake, I didn't send her and her pride to the Outlands; that was her choice - I exiled her from the Pridelands, but that is all. Why she chose such a desiccated place I can't say, though I'd guess due to its close proximity it would be easier for her to linger there until the day when she could exact her revenge upon me - and that brings the focus to you, as that's what you're here for."

The king turned and looked into Kovu's eyes - it was disarming, and the young lion didn't think he had ever felt more uncomfortable. Here was a soul that knew nothing but kindness, and to think that he was moments from killing him just prior left him unnerved. Still, what was he meant to do? He couldn't return to Zira having failed - though he was her cub, he knew failure meant punishment, if not death. "Would you still take my life?" Simba inquired. He wasn't pleading, Kovu knew; it was an earnest question.
Sighing, Kovu hung his head. "I don't know. I suppose not, but you know what that means."
"This doesn't have to be a failure." Simba said with a grin, "There are other means of victory besides revenge. My uncle wanted revenge on my father, and both of them are dead now. If you kill me, you'll just be continuing a vicious cycle of death."
"What else can I do?"
"Go back to Zira and tell her that you thought it wise to negotiate with me rather than end my life; tell her that the Outlanders may live in the Pridelands so long as they don't cause trouble."
Kovu's eyes lit up, and for the first time in a long time he genuinely smiled. "Really?" he said, attempting to contain his excitement. He would finally eat and drink proper, and he'd go to bed every night with a full stomach - so would his family, and the thought seemed too good to be true. "But what about my mother? She wishes you dead."
"She'll be placed under close observation, and it's true that she might try to take my life - but perhaps a while of living here will make her forget old animosities. We'll cross that path when we get to it."

He took a deep breath, and for once Kovu did not feel the miasma that had pervaded his life for years. Simba was a good king, and there was no doubt about it. For a few minutes they sat there in silence whilst they listened to the slow, sonorous chirping of crickets in the distance. Simba found himself affixed upon the stars again, and Kovu decided to join him. The stars were multifarious and beyond count; if he stared long enough, he could feel stirring in him a sense of belonging - almost like he was meant to be here in this moment, gazing up at the universe. It filled him with wonder that something so grand, so beautiful could be allowed to exist, especially with the toils him and his family had suffered through. "My father once told me that up there are all the great kings of the past, silently watching over us, guiding us, and protecting us. You are not my son, but perhaps some day I'll watch over you."
"Why?" Kovu found himself addled. He had come here to kill him, then he was told him and his family could stay in the Pridelands, and now Simba was offering to be his guardian; it didn't make sense.
"Because" Simba said, turning his eyes once more to Kovu, "you remind me a lot of myself when I was younger." What he did next was entirely unexpected: Simba pulled Kovu into an embrace, and for a moment they stayed like that; Kovu's face buried in Simba's mane, and Simba's arms wrapped around him, holding the younger lion tight. "Go home and tell Zira everything I've said," he whispered, "then tell her that a shining new era has arrived. She'll know what it means."
[/quote]

I hope that I have formatted the stories properly for everyone. If you have complaints about the formatting, just send me a PM and I will fix it.

Voting will end on Sunday, March 9th. One vote per voter this time around, as we have only five stories and not six. I know it's only one story less, and is still a good number for the contest, but I always set the line at six stories, and that's where I will leave it.

Voting rules are the usual: Don't vote for yourself, and don't vote for a story that you simply know was written by a friend. Don't ask others to vote for your story either. Read each one carefully and give all the stories the same consideration before you make your decision.

Good luck, read carefully, and may the best story win!
Last edited by DGFone on March 2nd, 2014, 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Re: MLK Writing Contest #24 [voting]!

Postby Ninaroja » March 2nd, 2014, 2:14 pm

Looks like you forgot the poll DG :lol:

Any way, I can't wait to read all of these :D
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby DGFone » March 2nd, 2014, 10:56 pm

Poll is up! :D
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Postby TheBlackCatCrossing » March 3rd, 2014, 1:05 am

Awesome. Will get to this ASAP.
Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time… It tells us to tell each other right now that we love each other.

Leo Buscaglia
TheBlackCatCrossing
Damnatio ad bestias

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nothing really matters-Madonna

Nickname(s): Harley Quinn
Pride Points: 27

Postby Gemini » March 8th, 2014, 5:13 am

Read and voted! Whoever wrote number 4 gets a huge high-five from me. :D
Ask Me Stuff | FFnet | Video Q&A Session | About My Webcomic | Commission Me (dA)
"A lion may be stronger, but a wolf doesn't jump through hoops."
Pic (c) BlazingBlackMage
Gemini
The maverick

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Don't look back

Nickname(s): Twin, Janna
Telegram: @maverickmule
Pride Points: 107

Postby DGFone » March 9th, 2014, 4:45 am

Two, closer to one day left, and we only have two votes in. We need more votes! :lol:
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Return to MLK Writing Contest