How to use your smartphone as a wi-fi access point.

How to use your smartphone as a wi-fi access point.

Postby FlipMode » February 25th, 2012, 12:18 pm

So here is the deal. You know there is a Wi-Fi PS Vita and a 3G one right? Well I recently bought one and after a little thought, I chose the Wi-Fi only one for a good reason, if you have a smartphone then you already have 24/7 anywhere internet access, even if you dont get the 3G model. you can use your phones 3G as a wi-fi point for the Vita to connect to. Mah friend alerted me to this, and it is useful I guess.

It means if you have a device that connects to Wi-Fi but NOT 3G, such as the cheaper Vita model, I-Pod Touch etc you still have internet access at all times. So I guess some people may find this useful?

Here is how you do it on an iPhone 4S - And I presume all other 3G iPhones =) I know Samsung Galaxy can do it to, basically if you are not on an iPhone, it will be in your network settings somewhere.

1) Go to settings,
2 Go to general
3) Go to Network
4) Scroll down to Personal hotspot
5) Switch it to on and set a password
6) Go to whatever device it is you have that is Wi-fi only
7) Connect to your smartphones name and enter the password you set
8) And there you go, 24/7 mobile internet for your Vita or other wi fi only device. (This even works for connecting consoles, laptops and stuff too). The best part is, you only need to pay for one 3G device to get the benefits of it on all your devices. Problem, electronic companies? Image
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: How to use your smartphone as a wi-fi access point.

Postby MalibuTrashDog » February 25th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Problem. If you have an iPhone through Verizon and you follow those steps it still won't work because Verizon makes you pay for converting it into a hotspot.
MalibuTrashDog
Daddy Atsume

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

The trash that collects you.

Nickname(s): Malibu, Sam
Pride Points: 100

Re: How to use your smartphone as a wi-fi access point.

Postby Woeler » February 26th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Be really carefull when doing this. If you do not have your provider's permission to do this, you will be charged with a lot of extra costs or even be fined!
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Return to The Den