Man fighting for euthanasia gets NO as an answer.

Man fighting for euthanasia gets NO as an answer.

Postby Woeler » August 22nd, 2012, 10:17 pm

The 58 year old Tony Nicklinson has been paralyzed for 8 years. He could only move his eyes. His request for euthanasia got denied as euthanasia is apparently not legal in the UK.

Today, after eight years of struggling he finally died. Not because of euthanasia, he just "suddenly died". His request for euthanasia got denied a week ago.

I have the feeling that a doctor helped him secretly. It is a good thing though.

May he rest in peace.
It shouldn't be allowed to torture people like that while their wives and kids watch.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 120

Re: Man fighting for euthanasia gets NO as an answer.

Postby UncoordinatedPisces » August 22nd, 2012, 10:25 pm

I saw this on BBC (british broadcasting corporation) news, and no, it's not legal over here. It's really is tragic, I think euthanasia should be allowed everywhere. If someone is suffering that much, they should be given the right to die. If I had a terminal illness, and I was going to suffer, I wouldn't want my family to see and I doubt others think differently. RIP Tony Nicklinson, I hope wherever you are, you are happy now.

Edit: Sorry, made so many typos ._.
UncoordinatedPisces
just an oddball

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

I'm getting there, one clumsy step at a time

Nickname(s): Amy
Pride Points: 149

Postby Tabby » August 22nd, 2012, 10:31 pm

If he's paralized as a point he can only move his eyes.... How could he request euthanasia? x)

but being serious... euthanasia is a thing that other people shouldn't decide.. If you're suffering either for the mental consecuences of being unable to do anything at all, you have a terminal, hopeless cancer you don't want to fight, if you simply don't feel living anymore is worthing, why should another person decide when to end your life... Since most of people is against these thingsa for religious matters, then I wonder, if god is so good why would he want us to die in pain, instead of give us a choice, fight or surrender.

I think being against euthanasia, is like the same debate about homosexuals rights... YOU DON'T NEED IT?, YOU'RE NOT AFFECTED?, YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT?.. THEN DON'T BOTHER.

as simple as, if you don't want to die on dignity but fighting the pain until your body can't do it anymore, good for you.. but let others die in peace.

Victory, at last!
Tabby
Back from the ashes

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Deess, LxL, Jose, Bean, Burrito
Pride Points: 103

Postby AdAstrα » August 22nd, 2012, 10:32 pm

Heard about this before. Watched a video too, so horrible, he was crying and looking so devestated. I'm not sure I believed he died of "natural causes" but it doesn't really matter, he wanted to die and some angel granted his wish. RIP Tony, I hope you're in a better place now xxx
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby DGFone » August 22nd, 2012, 10:33 pm

That's what happens when your morals are defined by a 2000 year old book, and you make your laws based on those morals...

*sigh.
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Woeler » August 22nd, 2012, 10:36 pm

[quote="AdAstra"]Heard about this before. Watched a video too, so horrible, he was crying and looking so devestated. I'm not sure I believed he died of "natural causes" but it doesn't really matter, he wanted to die and some angel granted his wish. RIP Tony, I hope you're in a better place now xxx[/quote]

After eight years that angel is a little late.
There are those who complain about the wind, there are those who hope the wind will change, --though the wise-- the wise adjust their sails.
Woeler

Pride Points: 120

Postby AdAstrα » August 22nd, 2012, 10:39 pm

[quote="Woeler1"][quote="AdAstra"]Heard about this before. Watched a video too, so horrible, he was crying and looking so devestated. I'm not sure I believed he died of "natural causes" but it doesn't really matter, he wanted to die and some angel granted his wish. RIP Tony, I hope you're in a better place now xxx[/quote]

After eight years that angel is a little late.[/quote]
Better late then never eh?

Jokes aside, I'm not saying that there was a divine power behind this. People can be angels too, and whoever helped Tony out of his misery certainly was.
I'm never going back
The past is in the past
AdAstrα

Nickname(s): Fabulous Frog
Pride Points: 117

Postby Tabby » August 22nd, 2012, 10:40 pm

Victory, at last!
Tabby
Back from the ashes

Nickname(s): Deess, LxL, Jose, Bean, Burrito
Pride Points: 103

Postby Meskhenet » August 22nd, 2012, 11:17 pm

I agree if a patient is ready to go he shouldn't have that right taken away. ;)
Meskhenet
Let this prayer be your guide

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always remember your pride

Nickname(s): Mesk
Pride Points: 21

Postby WildSimba » August 24th, 2012, 2:11 am

Euthanasia is such a double edged sword for me. On one side, I think if someone is suffering, they should have the right to end their life if they want to. But on the other hand, I don't think suicide is ever the right way to end your life. I think that Euthanasia should be allowed in certain situations where a person is suffering a lot, but I also don't think suicide should ever be condoned.
"There are you, you drive like a demon from station to station," - David Bowie
WildSimba
Fan the Flames

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Ain't it Funny how it happens

Nickname(s): WS, David
Telegram: Ask me through PM
Pride Points: 122

Next

Return to The Den