Cecil the Lion.

Cecil the Lion.

Postby Elton John » August 1st, 2015, 10:23 am

As you've probably heard... It has been on the news everywhere that Cecil the Lion, Zimbabwes most famous lion was hunted and killed by an american.

There is some good news, his 22 cubs are being protected by one of his brothers. It would make an already bad situation much worse if this didn't happen.

While i'd never condone such a horrific act, I don't agree with the way social media 'justice' types have been handling this. Then again I always find it very hypocritical when social media types shame bullies as it is a kind of bullying itself so I have been soured on the way they unthinkingly handle things.

And if there's one good thing about this news, it is getting people to think about, even if just a little bit, on the way our conservation efforts could be better.
Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves back up again.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Till the end of the line!

Pride Points: 240

Re: Cecil the Lion.

Postby SlayerOfLight » August 1st, 2015, 1:40 pm

People just fake-rage over the killing of a lion so they can feel like a ''good'' person. In a few weeks everyone probably forgot about it and move on with life. And yea, I don't really care about Cecil's death. Innocent people get murdered everyday and no one cares about that, so I have no idea what makes a lion's life more valuable than a man's life.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby juhouh » August 1st, 2015, 2:09 pm

I agree with Nick. We don't concertrate enough on core of the problem but single cases. Won't help anything
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby DGFone » August 1st, 2015, 5:58 pm

Here is what I have to say about the hysteria about Cecil's killing:

Who are you going to direct your anger towards?

A: One person who paid a lot of money (about $55000) to make what they believed was a legal, and for a lack of a better term, sustainable kill. Except that the kill ended up being illegal, and when they realized that, they immediately reported it to the authorities and so now everyone know who did it.

B: The countless of individuals who regularly make illegal kills knowingly and get away with it because they know better than to report to the authorities that they are the ones supplying the black market with endangered animal parts. Along with the fact that they don't care about the sustainability of their killing, they make a profit off of the kills, rather than giving much needed money to the governments that can help recovery efforts.

So in the end, I have this stern opinion: Shame on everyone who insist that we need to go and murder Cecil's killer. Their anger is completely and entirely misguided and they need to stop going after the easy targets in order to feel better for promoting 'social justice'.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Elton John » August 1st, 2015, 8:08 pm

I agree with nicholas and juhouh, most of the anger is fake and will be easily forgotten.

And while I think he should be punished, killing him would be going too far. We aren't savages so using draconic punishments like hammurabi's 'an eye for an eye' code is not a very good one.

But I do think conservation efforts should be taken seriously. I just don't think more killing is a justifiable punishment.
Elton John
I’m with you

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby SlayerOfLight » August 1st, 2015, 8:20 pm

Funny enough no one seems to care about the idiots responsible for taking down MH17 (which costed the lives of 298 people) still not been arrested and brought to trial, but killing a single lion is enough to earn you the wrath of nearly entire America and the whole world...
SlayerOfLight

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby Elton John » August 1st, 2015, 9:02 pm

Fantastic, cecils brother was just poached and now the cubs will probably die.

These poaching aholes deserve a strong punishment. Not death, but something that will send a message to them and other would be poachers that this isn't tolerable.
Elton John
I’m with you

Postby DGFone » August 1st, 2015, 9:29 pm

[quote="Elton John"]Fantastic, cecils brother was just poached and now the cubs will probably die.
[/quote]

Along with only adding strength to my post as to who really is at fault here, apparently the brother is not actually dead. GPS tracking shows him alive and well.
http://nypost.com/2015/08/01/cecil-the- ... -poachers/
DGFone
Got wings

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby Iberian » August 1st, 2015, 10:19 pm

-------------------------------
Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Pride Points: 14

Postby Regulus » August 1st, 2015, 10:53 pm

Fun fact: the best way to instil justice is to kill everyone who disagrees with you or does something bad.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Next

Return to The Den