Dont Stay In School

Dont Stay In School

Postby gothprincesskiara » March 7th, 2015, 1:38 am

Don't take this title the wrong way but watch this video and you will see what I mean, I thought it was very good cause I can relate to this video in so many ways. It has a million views and I really like this guys song, but i just think the title could be better expressed in a positive way cause I think it just says the wrong message, I don't know, but what are your thoughts on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xe6nLVXEC0
Want to RP with me? Want to join my Pride on Facebook? Click the Facebook Icon.
https://www.facebook.com/queengothkiara ... fekingdom/

Check out the TLK/TLG Merchandise Page on Facebook, like and follow, and tell other fans about it.
https://www.facebook.com/The-Lion-King- ... 165042753/

James Camerons AVATAR FANS PLEASE like my Avatar page if you want to RP on the planet of Pandora, im trying get to more like to grow my page, please help me.
https://www.facebook.com/Amiryat-from-A ... 805499620/
gothprincesskiara
I live by the Circle of Life

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

We are all connected in the great Circle of Life

Nickname(s): Kiara
Pride Points: 93

Re: Dont Stay In School

Postby Iberian » March 8th, 2015, 8:59 pm

---------------------
Last edited by Iberian on October 10th, 2016, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iberian

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 14

Postby DGFone » March 16th, 2015, 6:59 am

While I do agree with the video mostly, there is a portion of the song which I think is rather (hint: completely) wrong:

The guy started complaining about how you are taught abstract math over something such as basic first aid (not exact word, but you get the point).

Here is why I think he is wrong on this one: Something like basic first aid, you can learn fairly quickly. Many of the things he complained that you are not taught in school, frankly, are not taught because it is a very large list of very useful things to know, but that do not have much to do with one another and therefore are most likely taught either outside the classroom, or in a very generalized "useful life info" class. And many other things he listed, as a comment pointed out, you can get freely and easily elsewhere like you know... the internet (hint: news).

As for complex math: If you want your world to run smoothly, someone needs to lean it. And guess what? It takes time, loads of time, is very very late in returning on obvious benefits to life, and is just about hated universally. Which is why if anything, math and other STEM related subjects are I think the proper subjects to be taught in school. They build up one previous lessons, so you get a proper curriculum for many years, and they are subjects that are vital for modern society.

About his complaining about what to do with the common cold, or a depressed friend: having only basic knowledge in medicine and/or psychology might help identify that there is a problem, and possibly prevent an immediate death, but if you really want to eliminate the problem, you will need professional help.

AKA: Stay in school if you are learning something useful that a school can provide.

Of course, as a university engineering undergraduate, I might be more than a little biased here. :P
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby FlipMode » March 16th, 2015, 11:40 am

The song wasn't even suggesting that anyone drops out of school.
Rap is like poetry, it is written with metaphors and analogies etc. He's actually suggesting that the schools change what they are teaching. Yes teach Math but students should be able to choose at some point what they want to learn so they can get skilled in that particular subject. INB4 anyone says "that's what college is for" he's not talking about college.
So yeah he's telling useless stuff "Don't stay in school" so there's a better balance of learning.
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Return to The Den