RIP Robin Williams

Re: RIP Robin Williams

Postby SimbasMate » August 12th, 2014, 5:11 pm

When I first saw this on Facebook I thought it was a hoax. It wasn't until I read the article online that it left me totally speechless. He was such a great actor and comedian. This also proves that even the people who seem happy and are loved so much can still be suffering inside. Nobody knows what battles anyone is facing. May he rest in peace.
[quote="Amanda"]And just like that she vanished, like a fart in the wind.
[/quote]
sig by Regulus
SimbasMate
Queen of Hell

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/mes

Nickname(s): SM/Crystal
Telegram: @CatOverlord
Pride Points: 161

Postby MooLion » August 12th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Was really saddening to hear this... Gone, but his 'legacy' will continue as many films he was in will be watched and enjoyed for decades to come.
~Banner by Amy!~
"Your mother on the other hand, I admired her. She wanted to have me executed... but I admired her." ~ Tyrion
MooLion
You poisoned the moonlight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

When you put out the sun

Nickname(s): Moo
Pride Points: 15

Postby Si-Amber » August 12th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Depression is such a cruel, destructive illness. If one positive can come from such a high profile loss, I hope that it increases public understanding that this can happen to anyone, regardless of how loved, talented or succesful they are.

R.I.P.
Si-Amber

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 74

Postby TheLionPrince » August 12th, 2014, 6:04 pm

I was deeply saddened and shocked when news of his passing broke yesterday evening. I grew up and enjoyed some of his films such as Aladdin, Hook, Jumanji, Happy Feet, and many more, and I'll watch Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting in his memory sometime soon. Depression is a terrible thing for any human to suffer, and I hope he found peace and solace in the afterlife.

While Nicholas's comment comes off rather cynical, I'm always mindful of those who are fighting to survive like those stricken with ebola in west Africa and Iraqi Christians being killed for their faith by the ISIS terrorist organization. Along with Robin Williams's family, I'll keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby SlayerOfLight » August 12th, 2014, 6:22 pm

^ To correct myself, Robin Williams' death does not pleasure me at all even though I only heard of him today for the first time. I'm just surprised beyond measure why nobody hasn't made a topic yet about about all the innocent Yazidi people getting killed by the ISIS. But as soon as the death of a celebrity pops up on the news It'll end up in the ''world issues'' section of MLK that very same day. Makes me think about the annoying fact how much people are obsessed with celebrities these days.
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby TheLionPrince » August 12th, 2014, 7:17 pm

[quote="Nicholas"]^ To correct myself, Robin Williams' death does not pleasure me at all even though I only heard of him today for the first time. I'm just surprised beyond measure why nobody hasn't made a topic yet about about all the innocent Yazidi people getting killed by the ISIS. But as soon as the death of a celebrity pops up on the news It'll end up in the ''world issues'' section of MLK that very same day. Makes me think about the annoying fact how much people are obsessed with celebrities these days.[/quote]

Yeah, you're right, but I believe it is the manner of how he died is what creates a stronger urge for people to want to commemorate him, and him being a public figure for the last three decades. The "World Issues" section hasn't been the same since Woeler left, but if you feel the Yazidi persecution by ISIS should be discussed here, don't wait on anyone else to make the topic; make the topic yourself.
TheLionPrince
Crown Prince of the Pridelands

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Chris, TLP
Pride Points: 152

Postby mamaprince » August 18th, 2014, 10:01 am

Shocked... I loved his acting! Genie was one of my favorite characters that he voiced. R.I.P. Robin. :cry:
Sig by Ninven on DA.
mamaprince
Future Storm chaser

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

It's the wonder of nature baby!

Nickname(s): Mp, Stormchaser Rachel, Rachel Storm
Pride Points: 18

Postby Ninaroja » August 18th, 2014, 3:14 pm

[quote="Nicholas"] Makes me think about the annoying fact how much people are obsessed with celebrities these days.[/quote]

This is true - and twitter definitely doesn't help.

Though personally, in terms of Robin Williams, I wouldn't call it an obsession for me. When I was born he had been in plenty of children's movies like Flubber and Aladdin and Jumanji, and those were some of the first films I saw. As I got older I was able to appreciate him on a comedic level in his stand up and Mrs Doubtfire (still a kid's movie but definitely slightly aimed at older ones), and in my upper-teenage years I discovered his more serious roles in Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam and Good Will Hunting.

I can say he definitely inspires someone like me, who wants to make a career in the creative industries. The way he could swap so effortlessly between side-splitting comedy and rapid-fire improv to very serious dramatic roles is something I really look up to.
Signature Graphic made by Simbasmate! Thanks a ton :cheese:

Fanfiction Q&A Tumblr
Ninaroja
Nee-nyah Row-hah (AKA KULCY)

Simba is Love. Simba is Life.

Nickname(s): Kulcy, Lucy, Nina, Juicy, MLK Drama Detective ;)
Pride Points: 82

Postby S1mb4 D4 L10n » August 20th, 2014, 7:48 pm

I can't believe I missed this thread. He was an incredible actor, comedian, and person who will be dearly missed. As for the reason why his death is getting so much attention is because it is both the death of a person and the death of a symbol. Robin Williams had a type of symbol of comedic innocence, which affected the lives of many people both young and old. The comedic icon, who cheered many of us up when we were down, is now dead due to the thing he was trying to cure. Thats what's the most upsetting about this.
S1mb4 D4 L10n
A man of knowledge lives by

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

acting, not by thinking about acting.

Nickname(s): S4mb4, Jacket, Jnack, MLK Drama Detective :P
Pride Points: 58

Previous

Return to The Den