The Uncanny Valley

The Uncanny Valley

Postby FlipMode » February 22nd, 2014, 1:29 am

So me and my friend earlier were playing FF13 and this thought popped into my head...
Why do we get freaked out by robots that look real and not by videogames where the characters look real?

That is a guy and his robotic counterpart, freaky...

That is Lightning as she looks in FF13... You can't say that it doesn't look like a person. Yet most people don't see it as off putting.

^ Freaky

^ MGSV... Looking a little bit freaky. I'm fine with it but my friend said it's weird because it looks too much like a real man but then it's not so it creates a confusion in the brain that makes us think "Woahhhh okay, not comfortable with that, it looks real but obviously isn't and now I'm confused"

I don't get it... Why are we freaked out by robots that look human but not by videogames and animations that look like real people? Or is it different for specific people?
Opinions would be welcome, had an interesting discussion with my friend earlier so thought I'd see what you thought as well :)
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: The Uncanny Valley

Postby Regulus » February 22nd, 2014, 2:46 am

I've thought about this before, actually. I have two guesses:

It's because everything in a video game looks animated. The lighting and shading isn't totally realistic, so the entire scene takes on a cartoon-ish appearance. We don't see animated characters in an animated world as being out of place, but we see animated characters in a real world being out of place. A humanoid robot is a lot like an animated character--it has fake skin, eyes, and mouth, and so it looks just a little freaky. With animation, the appearance of falseness is there, but it's obscured by the animated environment.

Video game developers only have to concern themselves with making flesh and other organs that look realistic. All they do is create the shape of the object and texture it. They have freedom to play around with the apparent properties of the object, its textures, and its movement. On the other hand, if you're building a robot, you need something that looks like skin, stretches like skin, moves like skin, has sensors, is resistant to heat, is resistant to water, is cheap to produce, and so on. There are only so many materials available to us in the real world, and not one of them can perfectly imitate human skin.

Can you make a realistic looking human as a computer model? Yeah. But you can't do it in real life, unless you have perfect materials to use and can place all the little motors you need that act as facial muscles. Not to mention things like the mouth, the nose, the eyes, and so on. On a computer, you just draw the shape in 3D software, texture it in Photoshop, and code its animations. In real life, how are you going to imitate a human mouth? You need something that stretches, something to control its stretch, something hard, white, and shiny like teeth, some way to keep the area wet and slightly reflective... and so on.

It all comes down to this. Robotics is hard. Computer animation is easy. :P
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby SlayerOfLight » February 22nd, 2014, 2:47 am

We have all the right to freak out, because the T-800's are in development :P
SlayerOfLight

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Nick, SOL
Pride Points: 125

Postby DGFone » February 22nd, 2014, 3:05 am

Basically what Regulus said.

Video games are more concerned with looking nice rather than looking real. Even in the "realism-heavy" western developer mindset, real-time graphics are still made to look more appealing than realistic, because of the limits of technology.

That's why Lightning doesn't look freaky: she wasn't made to be a real human, but one that looks like one, while still outside the uncanny valley. Note how the lighting is not real, and even various aspects on lightning herself are not real either. Also, that pic of her looks like it's from a pre-rendered portion of the game and not actually in real time.
DGFone
Got wings

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Watch me soar

Nickname(s): Planes, DGF, DG
Pride Points: 138

Postby KingCub » February 22nd, 2014, 10:20 am

It seems like Reg hit this one right on the head. But, here is a pretty cool vid talking about the UC valley.
You are what you love, not who loves you.
Thanks Regulus for the lovely siggy!
Other Things~
Spoiler: show

Thank you Kib and SimbasMate!

Photography | Ask Me Stuff | Facebook | My Computer
KingCub

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): KC, Ty
Pride Points: 28

Postby Kiburi » February 23rd, 2014, 12:13 am

In my opinion, it almost has to do with the enlightenment, and man being perceived as just another machine.
When we can create machines like man, man does indeed seem to become a machine. All seems to be lost, because, what is the value of the human race then?
If we are nothing more than robots who perform basic functions, how can we love other people and treat them with respect?
Does the value of life then diminish to nothing?

Think about that for a second.
That's what's really freaky.
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

A pancake with a syrup trap

Nickname(s): Kib, Kibbles, Kibbles n' Bits
Pride Points: 28

Postby Carl » March 4th, 2014, 1:48 am

^ You're thinking about the Romantics' view of the Enlightenment.
Carl

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Return to The Den