Net Neutrality Stricken By US Gov

Net Neutrality Stricken By US Gov

Postby FlipMode » January 15th, 2014, 4:24 pm

Your internet service provider in the US can now charge you extra to access certain parts / services of the internet.
So for example Netflix, you pay for the Netflix subscription and your ISP bill, now your ISP can charge you extra for streaming content through Netflix (this applies to other services like Spotify and online gaming too). ISP companies can now legally dictate what, at what speed and whether you will be charged extra for accessing different parts of the internet.

There may still be "unlimited access" like we have now but it could be an extra expensive package offered by ISP rather than the given it currently is.
""The court's decision will allow more room for innovation, and consumers will have more choices to determine for themselves how they access and experience the internet," ~ Verizon

Opinions?

Read further at - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25743200

EDIT - Posted in wrong section, requesting move to World Issues pl0x
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Re: Net Neutrality Stricken By US Gov

Postby juhouh » January 15th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Let's just ban the whole internet at once! :highfive:
Ask me - My Playlist - Steam
"Never trust the future, Never miss the past, If you live for the shining moment, The moment may just last…"
Signature by SimbasMate
juhouh
Nalaholic

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Nickname(s): Juho
Pride Points: 46

Postby Regulus » January 15th, 2014, 9:17 pm

This is the stupidest thing I've seen all week. I don't even...

A byte is a byte. It doesn't matter where it came from. If you're paying for a certain bandwidth (which we all are), you should be getting that bandwidth at all times. This is basically one nasty excuse to charge more for less.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Kiburi » January 16th, 2014, 3:35 am

This is the definition of Regs' signature.
"Ridiculousness has no limits."
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

A pancake with a syrup trap

Nickname(s): Kib, Kibbles, Kibbles n' Bits
Pride Points: 28

Postby FlipMode » January 16th, 2014, 10:45 pm

Lol I suppose there's not much else for anyone to really say other than "That's stupid."
Still... I mean it wouldn't be good for the companies to suddenly up their charges and start charging extra for certain features would it? I mean yeah there's the uninformed consumer here and there who wouldn't know any better but the majority are well informed enough to just look at a price increase and say "That sucks, guess I'll go elsewhere".
FlipMode

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Pride Points: 266

Postby Kiburi » January 16th, 2014, 11:00 pm

I think this is bad for a lot of companies, including the ones who you'd have to pay more for to get access to.
For example, if it not only costs $10 a month for Netflix, but you also have to pay to access Netflix, many users will simply cancel both their internet, and Netflix membership, leaving both parties with less users than they had before. (And less $$$$$)
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Postby Regulus » January 16th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Yeah, but looking elsewhere is rarely an option. When it comes to ISP's, your choice is between that company you hate, or no internet at all.
Regulus
Is differentiable...

But convergence is not guaranteed.

Nickname(s): Reg, Regs, Last Person to Post
Pride Points: 206

Postby Kiburi » January 16th, 2014, 11:48 pm

Oh where art thou Google Fiber?!?
Kiburi
A waffle is like

Postby Carl » January 20th, 2014, 5:24 am

Makes me think of this tbh:

[quote]Freedom isn't free
It costs folks like you and me
And if we don't all chip in
We'll never pay that bill
Freedom isn't free
No, there's a hefty fee.
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?[/quote]

Basically it's just 'Murika being 'Murika. It sucks, but what do we really expect at this point? I can't wait to ditch this country.
Carl

Welcome to Carlmunism.

Nickname(s): Just call me Carl Marx.
Pride Points: 269

Postby Tora » January 22nd, 2014, 6:36 am

[quote="Regulus"]Yeah, but looking elsewhere is rarely an option. When it comes to ISP's, your choice is between that company you hate, or no internet at all.[/quote]
I don't really think so. I have four choices where I live. Direct TV internet, Dish Network Internet, Uverse (AT&T), and Cox Communications.

I must say that Verizon is one greedy company, and that is one reason I left their wireless network. Companies like Verizon are in it only for the $. And I bet you anything people will all flock to them too regardless of what bs they come up with next.
Tora
Never Forget

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Always Remain Hopeful

Nickname(s): Tim; Torasaur; T-saur; Rora; Goku
Pride Points: 129

Next

Return to The Den